Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's original BRAT - Body work update!

Faust

Well, it’s taken me a while, but I’ve finally managed to make some headway on the BRAT. I was very excited to get one, since I had turned one down (stupidly) years ago. I think it was a good thing, though, since I’ve built up my skills at cars in the meantime. And let me tell you… boy, do you need to be ready to leverage some skill against this thing!

After a lot of work, modifying the body and interior pans, adding, reshaping and scribing parts, the body is pretty much ready for paint! However, it was a long haul. Given that the reissue is due out in a month or so, you can get a preview of what you’re up against here. It won’t likely have gotten any easier with age! Despite it all, though, the BRAT’s such an interesting, niche vehicle that I have to say it’s worth all the work. Check out the first  build update below, and get ready for a workout!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2019/05/22/brat-update-1-grind-that-body/

brat-019.jpg?w=440

I built that original issue back in c.1980 ( while watching The Carol Burnette Show ! ) , and I don't remember its tooling / casting being as rough and flashy as your sample . Maybe it was because I was 10 years old and didn't pay that close attention ? Either way , the kit built-up nicely (an accomplishment for me back then !) --- let's hope that Round2 cleaned-up the tooling a bit...

Keep those updates coming !

Yeah, AMTs have some issues. I mean, so do MPCs and Revells and Monograms; nobody's perfect! However, this  and the reissued Gremmy (the '76 in the art box) are horrible fitting kits. I actually think the Gremmy might be unbuildable. Well, I thought that when I got it years ago, but I might be able to tackle it now! 

I never built a lot of AMTs, but my uncle did. No wonder he gave up modelling! :) 

12 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

I can't wait for the new release of these to come out!  :)

I'm glad there are people excited by this one; old and new! 

I hope Round 2 does some other oddball stuff, too. The BRAT was certainly out of left field. Now, we NEED California Sunshine, the Sneaky Pete and the MPC Rolling Thunder, if we're talking truck reissues...

Round 2: You pickin' up on this? I would love to build all of those! SHOW TRUCKS RULE!

I'm gonna LOVE following this!!!!…..I come from an odd family of di-hard jeep, and Subaru owners....I even have two brothers that race Subarus, and the Bratt is one of our favorites!!...I will be getting the re-issue!....good luck!!!

52 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

I'm gonna LOVE following this!!!!…..I come from an odd family of di-hard jeep, and Subaru owners....I even have two brothers that race Subarus, and the Bratt is one of our favorites!!...I will be getting the re-issue!....good luck!!!

Thanks, Dann!

I hope I don't disappoint! 

Despite it's many flaws, it's so cool to have a kit of  Subaru that's NOT a WRX/STi.  That's why I have my Rex Combi as well!

Definitely get the reissue. We've got to support Round 2 and let them know we love the weird stuff! 

2 minutes ago, Faust said:

Thanks, Dann!

I hope I don't disappoint! 

Despite it's many flaws, it's so cool to have a kit of  Subaru that's NOT a WRX/STi.  That's why I have my Rex Combi as well!

Definitely get the reissue. We've got to support Round 2 and let them know we love the weird stuff! 

LOL....Yes we do!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting pretty excited. I think my '77 Pinto  is due to hit my LHS soon. I ordered two; one for me, and one for my brother. I didn't want to fight him for it! :)

I wonder, does the reissue BRAT come with pad-printed tires? White lettering the originals is going to suck...

Rob:

When you get the BRAT, can you let us know how the decals and tires look? 

How's the Pinto looking? I should have mine in a week or so (Canada is a bit slower to get stuff), so I'm starting to Jones pretty hard. 

Of course, I'm also Jonesing for Monzas, since I just picked up three old MPCs... :)

On 5/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, Faust said:

I hope Round 2 does some other oddball stuff, too. Now, we NEED California Sunshine, the Sneaky Pete and the MPC Rolling Thunder, if we're talking truck reissues...

I love seeing your builds, both here and on your web page. I had just bought an original still-in-box MPC Datsun truck when they bought the reissue. I had no need for another, but I still bought 3 more just two do my part to encourage them to reissue old and unusual kits. I would definitely buy a couple of each of the kits you mentioned above, especially the California Sunshine.

17 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

I love seeing your builds, both here and on your web page. I had just bought an original still-in-box MPC Datsun truck when they bought the reissue. I had no need for another, but I still bought 3 more just two do my part to encourage them to reissue old and unusual kits. I would definitely buy a couple of each of the kits you mentioned above, especially the California Sunshine.

That California Sunshine pickup would be really neat, never had that one.    

Got the Brat today, looks like a neat kit.  Expanded decals w/ gauge faces, has the 'Retro Deluxe' info decal on the box directly instead of the wrap as they usually do, odd.   One small chrome tree w/ chromed headlights and taillights, wheels molded in white.    Tires don't have any white lettering.

Edited by Rob Hall

21 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That California Sunshine pickup would be really neat, never had that one.    

Got the Brat today, looks like a neat kit.  Expanded decals w/ gauge faces, has the 'Retro Deluxe' info decal on the box directly instead of the wrap as they usually do, odd.   One small chrome tree w/ chromed headlights and taillights, wheels molded in white.    Tires don't have any white lettering.

I've PM'ed you about the BRAT decals. I'm hoping you can help me out.

Just as a preview to everyone: the original decals DO NOT fit. they are not the right size or shape for the truck, and I'm hoping Round 2 has adjusted them to fit. If not, there's going to be a lot of "decal delete" option BRATs being built!

Hey Curt!

It's making solid progress. I've got the interior done, and I'm going to write it and the Chassis up together. 

The decals are disappointing. I'm not sure what to do to be honest. I know you don't NEED them, but I'd like to have them. AMT just got them sized so, sooo wrong. 

Thanks man!

Hey Curt!

It'd be great to see you this month! 

I've been working on using Word to do some photoshopping, and I think I've gotten the decals where I need them. Being inkjet decals, they're not going to be perfect, but they looked okay on the Pinto, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Rob let me see the decals on the new kit. WOW. Big improvement!

Great work Round 2!