Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:1 diorama

COOL!!!! Looks like one of those great MCM cover shots. Ummmmm...............wanna sell the Marlin :lol::D:lol: hey, someone had to do it. :D

haha! i guess i sounded too stern in my post....i hope everyone enjoyed the pics though. i spent a couple hours moving stuff around , could not find some tools to put in there. i ran out of room for models , but it was fun! i was born in 1974, and have always been jealous of them days. i grew up around a lot of older guys and was "sort of" raised with this stuff. to think of how simple things were compared to today.....modeling back then was only in your home between you and maybe a couple friends. today thousands of people see your models if you are like us on the internet , it's just not the same at all. not trying to depress anyone LOL.... sometimes i think of shutting my computer off, stop going to shows and put my current build on the kitchen table to be closer to my family.....like it was when i was a kid. i used to build on a tv tray or at the kitchen table and my parents or anyone who came over was right there with me. ahh memories...

haha! i guess i sounded too stern in my post....i hope everyone enjoyed the pics though. i spent a couple hours moving stuff around , could not find some tools to put in there. i ran out of room for models , but it was fun! i was born in 1974, and have always been jealous of them days. i grew up around a lot of older guys and was "sort of" raised with this stuff. to think of how simple things were compared to today.....modeling back then was only in your home between you and maybe a couple friends. today thousands of people see your models if you are like us on the internet , it's just not the same at all. not trying to depress anyone LOL.... sometimes i think of shutting my computer off, stop going to shows and put my current build on the kitchen table to be closer to my family.....like it was when i was a kid. i used to build on a tv tray or at the kitchen table and my parents or anyone who came over was right there with me. ahh memories...

Right on, Bob! At our old house, I had a table behind the couch where I built. Family and I could watch TV while I built, (my wife built also) and little daughters were fascinated with small versions of hot rods, pickups, and Mild Customs that they actually rode in. (we were modelling our own cars as well as friends' cars I worked on)

In this house, I have a whole hobby shop! But it's off the living room, and exiled from the family room. Our girls are grown, and my wife and I are working more on her BMW Coupe and my '27 T Roadster.

(1:1 scale!)

Really enjoyed your pics, Bob. Comfortable surroundings!

Right on, Bob! At our old house, I had a table behind the couch where I built. Family and I could watch TV while I built, (my wife built also) and little daughters were fascinated with small versions of hot rods, pickups, and Mild Customs that they actually rode in. (we were modelling our own cars as well as friends' cars I worked on)

In this house, I have a whole hobby shop! But it's off the living room, and exiled from the family room. Our girls are grown, and my wife and I are working more on her BMW Coupe and my '27 T Roadster.

(1:1 scale!)

Really enjoyed your pics, Bob. Comfortable surroundings!

that's pretty cool. :rolleyes:

I like that collection Bob, that is neat!

Geezzz...., that sooo awesome & nostalgic! I remember my workbench looking almost like that full of AMT & Johan kits. It was the same desk I had to do my homework on plus I had a lot of those WW2 planes hanging down from the ceiling. That pic did almost made me cry! :rolleyes:;) I could make one similar to that cause I still have lots of boxes and kits of course from the good ol' days. I wonder if someone will recreate a hobby shop... ;)

I would gladly trade in today to go back to the car model hobby's golden years, buying kits for .50 to 1.50 to 2 bucks and sure it was more harder back then but it was also more fun and a whole lot less complicated than it today is. Sometimes the future is not always better than the past and I should know cause I was born in 1959.

Thanks for the great pics and memories! Love that collection of yours and kudos to you! :rolleyes:

~ Jeff

I am glad to have touched some of you. This was not only to create a fantasy for myself, but to also give props to the pioneers in this hobby. Yes , also to remind us of what modeling meant to us before the internet. :lol:

I never saw a model magazine and didn't know they were even made until about 1995? I live in a big city, i am positive they were sold around a lot of places.....but i never saw one and nobody spoke of them. I was in my own little world , in my bedroom rebuilding and re-posing my builds on my dresser top. I tried to get friends to build, some of them did....but most didn't want to sit and concentrate , but rather go to parties and stuff. I did plenty of that partying, but i always came home looking forward to my models. Often, i would find myself impatient and leaving parties to go build! :lol: I guess one thing we modelers have in common is the ability to sit still for awhile, concentrate on one thing and stay hungry for knowledge. I have to say , the internet has upped my modeling a lot! In fact, i am always learning about things that i would never known.

Ahh..... well that's me rambling again lol

I hear you Bob! Funny thing, I had been building since 1965 and never saw a model car magazine til around the mid '70s but I did find my first Auto World catalog around in 1970 when the family went on vacation in Atlanta and boy I tell ya, did my model car world get big that day! I spend about 3 days drooling over that catalog and started mowing a lot of yards to buy those kits! At 2-3 bucks each... :lol:

I saw my first hobby shop around in 1974 and they had to kick me out at closing time! ;) Before then, I got almost all my kits from Sears, JC Penneys, Woolworths and Rose's dept stores. I still use rattle cans and do just as good as job as someone using a airbrush but my tools are top of the line and a long ways from using my mom's kitchen knifes & poor ol' dad's tools! :blink:

Its amazing how far we have came in this hobby and yes, the computer did its share of making things better but it also hogs up a lot of time better spend on models huh? :o I count myself lucky to have the opportunity to meet & know lots of great folks that share this hobby with me using the internet and even tho I have been building models for over 42 years, I still learn something new everyday!

Its great to read about other people's experiences in this hobby and the things they remember.

Thanks Bob and keep up the good work! :lol:

~ Jeff

Thank you for sharing memories too!

Ya know, if i had enough stuff to do it i would definately do a hobby shop photo shoot! It would be fun and something to hang onto. I forget where..but there are some photos on the internet of a garage FULL of built up models back then. Also some photos of old hobby shops....you know, the shops that only sold MODELS. Looking at them photos of "just models" was like looking at the window of an expensive jewelry store. Models USED to be THAT popular! I wish they were still complimented that way in stores...a whole isle for model kits....model kits in store windows.....AMT or REVELL signs hanging from the ceilings , blowing around from the air off the ceiling fans......oh boy!

First places i got models was Kmart and Safeway Grocery. I remember when i turned 7 or 8....geez, i need to talk to my mom and ask her when i started building LOL.... it was my birthday and i got $10 and even in 1980-1981 , $10 was a LOT for my age! I rode my bike to Safeway without telling anyone i left (a few neighborhoods away) and i went right to the toy isle and chose between hotwheels (back then there were still redlines on the shelf before they were saught after like today) ..... i could have bought some! Instead i bought an MPC Ford Van. I don't remember it all that well....i got home and my mom was crazy worried, my aunt almost hit me with her car cuz she was rushing to my house worried to find out "where did Bobby go?"! ......I got in trouble and hugged, then driven back to Safeway to return the model kit that i "blew" some birthday money on LMAO.....###### , i am ok with it....but i will never forget it.

COOL!!!! Looks like one of those great MCM cover shots. Ummmmm...............wanna sell the Marlin :blink::o:lol: hey, someone had to do it. :lol:

very cool picture Bob! it did remind me of the MCM cover from awhile back too.

i'd love to find some of the old Revell glue tubes just to have for nostalgia. i remember those striped tubes watching my cousin build when i was younger, but by the time i was in it the Testors tubes were what everyone had. to be honest i've forgotten even what it's like to build a model with that stuff it's been so long since i have had some.

i got into building glue kits somewhere around '84 or so. my parents wouldn't let me have an X-acto knife so i had to ask my dad to cut the parts off the trees for me or just twist them off myself! i had some cool stuff back then, not what many old timers pine for, but the 70's and 80's had some cool kits too!

Dave

thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it! there are more photos in that link by the way ;)

You all probably did see this cover before...but since i bought this issue i go back to it once in awhile to look at the cover and try to bring myself back to the basics.....self satisfaction and inner enjoyment!

This cover inspired me to take them photos you all see. Thank you Jairus Watson, Bob Jungbult, James Warkentin and Doug Rogers for putting this photo together for my favorite model car magazine! Sometimes we need reminded of what we do and why we do it.

mcm-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

i think we talked before about buying kits in Kmart and the whole isle they used to have for them. all kinds of cool stuff on the shelves and with the $20 i used to get cutting the neighbors grass i could buy 3 kits and some paint. funny thing i remember about our local Kmart was that they had a whole pile of those Revell big scale trike kits no one wanted! i used to buy kits in Dart drug and Woolworths too.

some of the few old ones i remember building when i was young were the Incredible Hulk van and the Fall Guy GMC pick-up kit. those were some nasty builds too. later it was a whole lot of the Monogram flip-front Chevelles and the "High Roller's" 4x4 kits. later i remember building a Johan Cadillac ambulance and then leaving it out under the bushes in the back yard because it gave me the creeps. ;)

Dave

yeah i think we talk about that. LMAO! the creeps! thanks for the laugh!

come to think of it....i remember them huge trikes sitting so long on the shelf, the boxes were badly caved in , celophane coming off and some were open with parts missing....back then, well it still happens some times....but back then, it seems like everyone tested the paints on the shelf edge before buying them LOL....and if they wanted to inspect the kit, it was NO PROBLEM.....i remember opening a kit up to look at it inside with store workers right there....they didn't care, i put back on shelf if i didn't like it. i think you can get in trouble for that now.

Love the picture. I remember well those golden years. I started building about 1961 after my dad bought me my first promo ,it was a Edsel a blue color of some kind. I crashed and burned a lot of models back then. My buddies and I loved to watch them burn. We would roll them off a cliff that was near where we lived. What I would give to relive those days. Now that I am an old fart . I buy all the old models from those days as a kid I can.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

Thanks, Bob!

See you in Toledo?

I am glad you liked it Gregg! Honestly, i am really trying to go. However, i am not starting the new job until the 20th of September, which screws things up. I really want to go, but being busted right now i have sold some models off to catch up on bills. I hope so...i really do!

Love the picture. I remember well those golden years. I started building about 1961 after my dad bought me my first promo ,it was a Edsel a blue color of some kind. I crashed and burned a lot of models back then. My buddies and I loved to watch them burn. We would roll them off a cliff that was near where we lived. What I would give to relive those days. Now that I am an old fart . I buy all the old models from those days as a kid I can.

thanks! i used to blow up models with firecrackers, shoot them with BB gun, drop off cliffs....i even used to take them all out in the driveway when we lived in Columbia Falls, MT and play with them in the ruts. (dirt drive).

For me that would'av meant not being in the hobby at all, seeing that noone gives a rats a*s about my building at home.. :unsure:

I was just about to quit the hobby when i found this forum, but now i'm building more than ever, and i can't believe how much i've learnt since i got here, all this knowlegde can't really have a price on it!

For me that would'av meant not being in the hobby at all, seeing that noone gives a rats a*s about my building at home.. :unsure:

I was just about to quit the hobby when i found this forum, but now i'm building more than ever, and i can't believe how much i've learnt since i got here, all this knowlegde can't really have a price on it!

i hear ya! don't get me wrong, i am glad we have the internet and all of these forums and web sites! i only meant "sometimes i long for the feeling" i had when i was a kid. it's not easy to embrace it the way i did as a kid. now that i am 34 and been all over the internet since 1996, i have pretty much seen it all but have not tried it all.

before the internet, i was SUPER happy with my models! (not that i don't enjoy them now) , but i mean....i didn't clear coat, i painted my trim, sometimes left engine parts out because i was not that concerned with what under the hood looked like, glued wheels up under the fenders to get them lower lol.....see what i am saying? it's like the Matrix.... remember when NEO was in his slush bubble? he was all fine and comfortable with the way the world was in his own mind....but when he took the pill he was alert to the fact he was living a lie. (not that i was living a lie) it's like the internet is my Matrix :( now that i know what's out there...i can no longer be "innocent" in my own mind or in anyone else's eyes, it's never going to be that way again.

Sometimes i want to build a model that is really simple to get the same enjoyment.....but it's tough to do! now that i have foiled, cleared and polished, scratch built, used photo etch and resin .... it's pretty hard to be satisfied with anything less. :rolleyes: