Model Cars Magazine Forum

peterbilt and the debutant

olsbooks

As stated in caterpillar and earthworm, i'm trying once again on posts due to the members here.   You guys are like family to me and above all, quality and character matter

Anyway, this has been a project underway for a very long time. The truck is a revell snap kit with home made air cleaners and a few other tweaks.  I finally acquired columns from a wedding cake that will work.  That had been a major holdup.

Architectural garden with a fountain and statue are planned.  A local artist is working on creating the figures from scratch. That was the other big holdup.

House will be sliced and inside detailed inside as i prefer to build things that can be viewed from most any angle.  

Yup, this one is going to take some time but atleast its finally moving from idea to reality.

20190518_212553.jpg

downloadfile-26.jpeg

downloadfile-3.jpeg

downloadfile-9.jpeg

2018-11-25 17.32.55.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

Driveway complete. It's foam board scribed with the edge of a coin. I then applied a paper thin coat of extremely watered down  spackling.  I then dabbed it with a wet sponge to further thin it and create a texture on the pavers. Painting followed with the whole thing painted tan then mixing a few different shades of brown to do the pavers. Pavers were painted in random fashion, unmasked, without cleaning the brush during the process. I used very cheap craft paints with a little bit of vallejo paints mixed in to achieve desired colors. For the price, it seems to be okay. Its always nice to be able to spray with a water hose to try again or use as target practice without the wallet shedding tears.  If an ounce of ambition strikes, i will try again and stagger the pavers.  

20190524_043115.jpg

20190524_043528.jpg

Edited by olsbooks

Excellent work on the paving, JC...... and the Peterbilt truck is impressive. Recently I have started to make more use of Vallejo acrylic paints as well as my usual choice of Humbrol and Revell enamel paints. The other type of paints I like to use are the Revell Aqua Color acrylics from Germany, which are extremely good, although they have a matt finish which needs a coat of yacht varnish if you want a high gloss finish.

David

Thank you.  I like valejo and the other kinds as well but treat them like fine spices due to price.  More and more i'm using the cheapest acrylics i can where there is a chance of getting away with it.  Genetically modifed paints are increasingly the norm in other words. Recently the celiing in my lair received a much needed repaint with so called "ceiling paint".  Its thick and snow white designed to cover a multitude of sins as well as fly turds .  At $20 a gallon and with half a gallon left over, it will be  showing up in alot of places in this and other builds.  Add a drop or two of strong color, ink, wood stain, food coloring, beet juice, or a pulverized eye of gnewt and tongue of yak will and it covers a lot of foam and wood pretty good...fast and cheap.   Longevity and interaction with atypical substances are uncertain  but i do know this...ceiling paint seem to go everywhere and stick to everything.  Now if i was just as smart as tom sawyer.....

Just out of curiosity...any recommendations on where to find fancy wrought iron railings and ornate hanging porch lights? My eyes aint what they used to be and prefer to not scratch build if reasonable alternatives exist.     Thus far nothing remotely close found in the g scale or dollhouse world but don't know the best places to look.   

12 hours ago, olsbooks said:

Just out of curiosity...any recommendations on where to find fancy wrought iron railings and ornate hanging porch lights?

Most excellent diorama builder Ken Hamilton offers ornate railing, fire escapes and other PE stuff that is breathtaking through his website: www.wildharemodels.com.

Likely to be last post for a while.  Rooting thru the junk box, a few things were found and figured i'd have some fun.

"Biff's trading of the Volvo for a new 300 series diesel with whitewalls and  tucked leather interior fails to impress Muffy.  "

20190525_172715.jpg