Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rust Box of Doom Chevy Wagon '57 Drag Week 2018

Reuhkapelti2

This beast of a wagon has been one of my favourite street legal cars ever since I saw it on tv/magazine/net 2017. It took part in the Drag Week same year as the finnish '67 Plymouth VIP twin turbo (I built a model of it earlier this year). 

Last year it was even faster with a blower equipped HEMI, and drove a 6 sec time at quarter mile, over 200 mph. 

I took a Revell' 57 Chevy Nomad on the table and started to convert it to a 5 door wagon. I'm sure some resin wagon might be available, but I want to do this kind of work myself. I quess also, the wagon roof is slightly higher than Nomad. Let's see if that is something I have to do. 

Stay tuned and comments are free! 

IMG_20190525_134036.jpg

IMG_20190525_151400.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

41 minutes ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

I quess also, the wagon roof is slightly higher than Nomad. Let's see if that is something I have to do. 

Also, the entire tailgate and rear glass are at a sharper angle on the Nomad than on "regular" wagons, which makes the roof shorter as well. This might or not bother you. I built a '55 Sedan Delivery out of a Nomad when I was a teenager, before I knew or noticed this. It doesn't bother me all THAT much to this day, but I know that it would for a lot of people. 

I'd say you're off to a great start and should just drive on regardless. B)

1 hour ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

Thanks for your quick response. That's a very good tip you gave me Snake45. That tail gate may be a challenge to modify, but I will surely give it a try. It certainly makes the whole wagon look more like a shoe box. 

It's more than just the tailgate. If you want to fix it, you'll need to lengthen the whole roof. 

If I were you, I'd just file off the Nomad tailgate chrome strips, and fill in the ribs on the roof and drive on. The Monogram 1/24 '57 Chevies aren't all that accurate to begin with anyway. Don't obsess about it, just drive on and have fun. B)

3 hours ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

[...] I took a Revell' 57 Chevy Nomad on the table and started to convert it to a 5 door wagon. I'm sure some resin wagon might be available, but I want to do this kind of work myself. I quess also, the wagon roof is slightly higher than Nomad. Let's see if that is something I have to do. 

[...]

One of my favorite subjects!  I owned a '57 4 door 210 station wagon last century.  I have an old Revell glue bomb, and the Monogram kit, last year got the resin body which is a really crude copy of a die cast.  Yes the roof is longer.  The rear slope is not as steep either.  No recessed lines across the top.  It was fun to own, but got tired of hearing people say "nice Nomad" when it's the bottom of the totem pole of collectibility, and I could not sneak around.

IMG_7151_Fotor.jpg

189.jpg

Thanks everybody and that photo  89AKurt posted is great help. I can measure some important things from that. Thanks again. 

Such a rainy day, so I sat on my stool and started to cut'n'glue some plastic to the body of this wagon. The little dent in the back of the roof was caused by bit too much heat from the candle, but it will be fixed. 

It has now a new roof, it's a bit higher and longer also than original. Some more material will be put there still. The tailgate is under construction too. Driver side front door wasn't straight, so I filled the carved line and will redo the line. 

IMG_20190526_164849.jpg

IMG_20190526_164934.jpg

IMG_20190526_164959.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Box of Doom Chevy Wagon '57 Drag Week 2018

Yeah thanks. Lots of work still ahead. 

While the green putty dries, I digged my boxes and found me an engine. I think that HEMI came with some 'Cuda or Challenger. It looks quite big, so it may well be 1:24 as this wagon is too. I will take the trans off and replace it with a trans from Kendall Funny Car. Same dragster will give the tube frame, but it will be shortened, widened and put more tubes. 

I can' t find a good photo of the twin rotor charger, the 1:1 Wagon has on top of the HEMI engine. Maybe I put in a normally used 6-71 looking charger. 

I have rear slicks big enough and good wheels too, but the front runners and plain five spoke wheels are missing. The wheels aren't that hard to make, I hope. 

IMG_20190527_132505.jpg

IMG_20190527_132610.jpg

Just trying to see, if the tube frame is now short enough. It is. 

The engine will move backwards and that blower is terrible, but it was the first attempt. Next one will be wider, I found a good photo of it. 

IMG_20190527_194450.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

I will make the roof a little bit longer to get the tail gate more upwards or straight. 

I took the first selfmade charger out and made another one using Nascar fuel refill bottle parts. I glued 11 thin plastic lines to each side. I hope this one will be better one. 

The engine was mounted to the tube frame and first part of the floor was installed. Next thing to do is making lots of tubes around the cockpit. I wish I could find a photo of the seats of the real Wagon. 

IMG_20190528_210554.jpg

IMG_20190528_210521.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Without any resin parts or other aftermarket stuff this Wagon will be built just for fun without even trying to make exact copy of the real deal. I hope to still get the crazy feeling of that Doom Box Wagon in my model. 

I've search through my scrap boxes to find usable parts to the engine compartment, and if not lucky made some by myself. When all the wires and stuff is installed and parts painted, I think it will look mean enough. 

IMG_20190529_185317.jpg

IMG_20190529_191539.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

The rust will follow as in real world. Shiny black for the wheels, the roof will be white. 

I'm wondering, if there should be the roof rack with tires and gasoline cans etc, or will it be in race mode? If with extra goodies, the blower belt should be off. The crew drowe this Wagon on the road without the blower with regular pump gas. 

IMG_20190602_173710.jpg

IMG_20190602_173758.jpg

IMG_20190602_173836.jpg

Good work so far! If I may offer a suggestion, ( I have one of these started (stalled?) and have been mulling over the top issue myself) these kits have a top that is not only too flat, but too tall as well, and you can kill two birds with one stone by filing off the rain gutters and gluing  a filler strip in all the openings at the tops of the side windows. I think I used something around 1/8-inch, or 3mm. It has an immediate effect on the proportions of the side glasses which are too tall, and it gives you some "meat" to file on to get a nice radius to the top, and adds visual thickness that is missing. The plastic you've added on the top will allow you to file in a nice crown and get rid of the pancake look. If I can dig up my stalled body, I'll post a small pic to let you see the difference. Great job so far, and this is all we have really for a decent 57 Nomad!  We need a modern tool...GREAT MOEBIUS HEAR OUR PLEAS!!!!

Thanks bisc63, You gave good tips. I took off some material from the sides of the roof to get it shaped more curvy. Then I painted it white to get a better view what it looks like. Some thin fillers strips to the window openings isn't a bad idea at all. 

The body got some rust spots, which I tried to copy from the photos taken of the real Wagon. Just brown, black and a touch of white paint. 

All the tubes are now painted too with semi gloss black. The inner floor could be silver or body colour, not sure yet. 

The d-pillars should be thinner, but I would rather use the original side windows becouse they are so curvy. Lets see how it goes. 

IMG_20190603_191707.jpg

IMG_20190603_191544.jpg

IMG_20190603_191520.jpg

IMG_20190603_191434.jpg

IMG_20190603_191631.jpg

I'm glad to see this site being so lively. So many coool projects going on and getting done. 

I've continued wrestling with the wagon roof. I added thin stripes of plastic up to the window openings and then a second stripe along the side of the roof. Also filed the roof edges even more round shape as well. 

The hood of the 2018 real Wagon was black without the chrome ornaments, just two bulky shape bumps. Also the grill/bumper had lost the upper part of the thick chrome tube. Those things will be in my model too. 

A big wing is being installed to the back roof. 

IMG_20190605_121808.jpg

IMG_20190605_171433.jpg

IMG_20190605_171358.jpg