Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corrugated Radiator Hose

Might anyone know if any after market dealers sell 1:25 scale old time corrugated radiator hose (with the ridges)?  I know many deallers sell smooth radiator/coolent hose.  Looking for the ridges however. 

It's possible that scale air duct hose employed by some on 1:25th scale NASCAR topics might work.  I have two sizes from a firm identified as Scale Model Speedway (200 Gilmore Ct., Owenboro, KY 42301), while the 1.5" Duct Hose product they produce or produced might be worth considering.  Purchased only a thousand years ago by me, it seems good.  Beyond this I haven't seen or found what you describe for looking avidly, although I hope others visiting this thread will illuminate a source.  Just in passing, the old Jo-Han Trans-Am Javelins had these as cast parts - terrific then for Jo-Han Trans-Am Javelins and little else!  

Mike K./Swede70

4 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Find a Spring the size you want, slip it into some heat shrink and watch the magic when you apply heat.

Ive seen this very trick done by the NASCAR guys as brake ducts. They looked VERY convincing.

Maybe put some stryene rod inside the spring to help retain shape then heat strink. 

Edited by gtx6970

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Ive seen this very trick done by the NASCAR guys as brake ducts. They looked VERY convincing.

Maybe put some stryene rod inside the spring to help retain shape then heat strink. 

Styrene rod will not retain a set shape like a piece of solid copper wire inserted into the "hose". Or maybe a piece of solder.

I think wrapping it with wire might be the way to go.   I do like George B's idea of a spring and shrink wrap.  However,  I need to find a miniature spring to do this.  Springs from a ball point pen are a bit  too big. Checking around to see if I can find smaller springs?????  Not sure where to find these smaller springs.

A typical BBC hose is around 2.5". I measured one of mine. Little bigger or smaller may not matter to the eye. You'd need a spring in the neighborhood of about 0.1". The smaller spring is under 0.1" and the larger one is slightly larger. The Internet can be your friend!

Automotive assortments may have a 5/32” x 3 1/8”. This should work.

Oh... if you use solder, do not use acid core. Use resin core!!!

IMG_6370.jpg.9dd582195af7a77a59d6239c77fb307b.jpgIMG_6371.jpg.3302a1dc5efcaf4bbe3a4c4da810658b.jpg

Edited by George Bojaciuk

Bingo!

I now expect you to try the wire/spring and heat shrink.... AND post a pic!

Glad to have been of service! Anyway, years ago I tried wrapping the wire around... After the 100th attempt, with it unraveling, I tried this. I always look at anything for two purposes...project at hand and modeling stuff!