Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth snap kit rebuild

This was a 1982 Kenworth W900 that my family used to own. The only picture I have of it is from the early 90's, so I decided to build it with some weathering to give it that "12 year old" look. Here is the inspiration:

633-vi.jpg

I had attempted to build this truck a few years ago from a Revell snap kit W900. This was the second model that I had ever built, and like most of my early models, it did not come out great. For some reason I got glue everywhere (including on the windshield).

005-vi.jpg

It has sat around for a while, and got a bit damaged during one of my moves, so I decided to rebuild it. I stripped all of the paint, threw away the old wheels and tires, and got to work. Here are the newly painted cab, hood, and air shield.

DSC_0208-vi.jpg

DSC_0209-vi.jpg

DSC_02071-vi.jpg

DSC_02061-vi.jpg

DSC_0212-vi.jpg

For the wheels I used an old set of my 2-hole resin drive wheels with a set of my drive tires:

DSC_0213-vi.jpg

Thanks Jim! I did some assembling today. I made the grille screen out of some old stainless steel mesh that I found laying around. I still need to finish up the wheels and then it is just the finishing details until I am calling it done.

DSC_02081-vi.jpg

DSC_02101-vi.jpg

34 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks Awesome!! Who does your decals?

Thanks! I made the decals myself for this one. It is just printed on my ink jet printer onto clear waterslide decal paper. It only works on light color backgrounds. When I need custom decals for a dark colored background I have been using Firebird Designs lately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...