Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 53 Ford Pickup Twincab

I'm two or three 53 junk bodies offa Ebay and a 1996 Ford Explorer 4X4 junker from a local swap meet. I'm going to use its' chassis, running gear and maybe the dash. I don't know how compatible t hey are in real life but as models they fit together well. Here's the first cut:

cut first body and uncut second body.jpg

Edited by DaveP

Got another junk body today; that makes three plus a stash kit. Also I found a Jimmy Flintstone truck twincab on line that I can modify if the size is compatible, cutting off the mud guards (fenders to you in the U.S. of A.).Threesome.thumb.jpg.ead45d636ca48d705f8bbf4b898820e2.jpg

Jimmy Flinstone truck twin cab.jpg

4 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Love the phantom pickups. Here's a nice one that was shown at GSL this year.

GSL2019 469.JPG

I am the builder of that truck. Happy to share anything about it, or more pictures if you want them.

Edited by 68shortfleet

3 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

I am the builder of that truck. Happy to share anything about it, or more pictures if you want them.

Yes please, more pictures! Particularly any of the build. Your model puts anything I could build or even conceptualise to shame! Do you have a Facebook or Instagram etc page? Dave

Update: the rear doors have been extended and I've started to build the upright between the doors. I think it's going to be thick but I'll get away with it as vehicles were heavy back then. I'm hoping to have doors operable depending how sturdy the thing is. When test fitting the roof I realised it tapers from rear to front,  the roof is going to be amosiac of parts I guess:

5cef06b735f48_extendeddoor.thumb.jpg.20ae94b1f72a2bd58f28a6be0e1597f5.jpg

extended door and brace.jpg

More work: A trial fit;  a jig made out of foam to hold the bits together and check fitting the sunroof (less roof to try and fit. Thanks for looking, constructive comments always welcome.

twupright test.jpg

twjig.jpg

twsunroof test.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Latest work, slow fiddly progress. Pic shows rear doors cut out and putty applied. In the background is an original cab and the Flintstone truck cab that i will use at a later date. The plan is to open and hinge all four doors. I don't know what I'm doing but so far so good.

20190615_133726.jpg