Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Quiet One - AFX Mustang

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Here's a quick update.

I'm using the 2x4 manifold from the Thunderbolt kit (I bought several partial kits of different cars), and as you probably know the stock FE manifolds don't straight up fit the cammer engine.

As you can see below, I modified it at bit, moving the distributor in a bit to line up with the cut-out in the front cover, and moving the water outlet to the top of the manifold.

2v2ESdwVjxAcPyh.jpg         2v2ESdc6MxAcPyh.jpg

I also finished deepening the oil pan. I wound up cutting it a bit from my original mock-up.

2v2ESdbRNxAcPyh.jpg

Additionally, because the battery in the kit was molded into the fenderwell I had to remove it surgically, which required me to rebuild the inner fender to something that resembled stock. I added a piece of styrene that allowed me to add an indentation where the stock battery would go.

2v2ESdBU9xAcPyh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Hey All. Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I didn't want to post every little thing I did so this is a catch-up update.

I got some work done on the engine. I still have to plumb the carbs and add the plug wires, belts, alternator, and fan. Oh yeah, and I see I have to add the oil filler cap!

Bodywork-wise I had to fill in the quarter windows, and the gap in the front pan that's on the GT but not the stock 'Stang.

I've hopefully got only one more sanding session to go before its perfect.

I also worked on the interior. I had to cut into it to accommodate the change in wheelbase. I added some embossing powder for the carpet but there are some spots I need to touch up.

I tried my hand at converting the 66 dashboard to the 65 style. It came out okay but it needs touch-up as well.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_20190804_204420657.jpg

IMG_20190804_204149116.jpg

IMG_20190804_204555446.jpg

IMG_20190804_204306223.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, Snake45 said:

Very, VERY cool project! I too would like to build a model of this very car, as Dyno Don ran it on the match circuit in 1969 as he and Jenkins, Sox, Landy, and others created Pro Stock. I really need this one to tell that story. If anyone knows if decals are available, I'm interested. 

Here's a pic of this car as Dyno Don ran it in 1969. Now there's a group of cars to replicate.

Grumpys-Toy.jpg

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

The paint color in your initial post, looks like a candy yellow over a gold base, candy colors were very popular at that time, I would suggest a gold base coat followed be Tamia clear yellow, apply light coats until you match the photo. Finish with the clear coat. 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:02 AM, dragcarz said:

The paint color in your initial post, looks like a candy yellow over a gold base, candy colors were very popular at that time, I would suggest a gold base coat followed be Tamia clear yellow, apply light coats until you match the photo. Finish with the clear coat. 

Thanks Roger, I'll do some testing on an old body. I got the gold, I just need to order the yellow.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm surprised I didn't get a notification that new content was posted. Sorry for the lack of reply.

Anyway, I've done a little bit of work. I would have posted sooner but i was looking at how the headers were going to fit and thinking about it left me in a corner in the fetal position.

I can either sweep them back, but it's tight in there, or do like the 1:1 and run the two front pipes over the crossmember. That however would require me to install the engine first, then try to fit the pipes, again like the 1:1.

Anyway, here's how things look. The hood is a shade darker than the body because I had to use a sealer over the resin because some features showed through. I'll have to hit it again and hope it matches better.

I still haven't sorted out the interior but the roll bar is in. I think I might have to try to wash out the embossing powder and start over if I can, using another adhesive.

Thanks for looking.

AFX Mustang Mockup Side.jpg

AFX Mustang Mockup w_Hood.jpg

AFX Mustang Engine Mockup.jpg

AFX Mustang Mockup Front.jpg

AFX Mustang Engine Fit.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, echo said:

Very nice, I have a similar Mustang that I have been working on in fits & starts, currently on the back burner, hopefully seeing your nice work will get me motivated to finish........

Thanks Ed. This one is kind of in fits & starts as well. Like now the issue is the headers. I've prototyped a couple sets but each time room is an issue. I think I'll get back to it next week though.

Feel free to post any progress you've made on yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning to wrap this one up. For those following I apologize for the intermittent postings.

After a lot of wasted material I finally got the headers in. I did have to install the rear pipes onto the engine first, then install the engine, then add the final two pipes.

It took a lot of test fitting to get them to clear the suspension, but not drag the ground.

I show also the intake ducts which I had in the parts box mocked in with some clay . They came in a Cobra open box kit I bough about 3 years ago and forgot I had them. I still have some fitting to do but they'll work.

The good news is, the hood closes with the ductwork in place, even though I added some aluminum collars to make them sit flush.

Otherwise the bodywork and interior are done.

Thanks for looking.

AFX Mustang Headers Installed.jpg

AFX Mustang Prepaint Interior.jpg

AFX Mustang Prepaint Side.jpg

AFX Mustang Prepaint Engine.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

Wow, just found this post.  That is going to be one amazing Mustang.  Like what you have done with it.  As an afterthought on the headers, I seem to remember a kit that had those very headers in them, they had to be installed after the engine was in place.  But for the life of me I cannot remember which kit it was, I have slung a lot of plastic in my 60 years of building.

51 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

As an afterthought on the headers, I seem to remember a kit that had those very headers in them, they had to be installed after the engine was in place.  But for the life of me I cannot remember which kit it was, I have slung a lot of plastic in my 60 years of building.

I had  the same thought. JoHan Maverick/Comet pro stock, maybe? 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got paint on this thing.

I was a bit skittish because I've botched a couple of sprays lately but this came out great paintwise.

There was a little ghosting of the Mustang emblems but the decals will cover them. You really have to look hard to see them.

The color isn't exact, but its the closest I could find. Most golds are more brown.

Time for detailing now!

My next pics should be in the "Under Glass" section.

Quiet One II Painted.jpg

Quiet One II Painted Mockup.jpg

Quiet One II Painted Rear.jpg

Quiet One II Painted Angle.jpg