Model Cars Magazine Forum

some old racing engines

absmiami

Hi Absmiami,  Stellar work on the linkage for the Ford Indy engine and on your build in general.  Beautiful work.  Mad is truly a mad man when it comes to detailing.  You should see his 1/43 scale version of this engine.  Can't wait to see your finished product.

And Yes, the headers were a Bear to draft as was the block.  Ford never did anything the easy way. 

Model On!

Top View Colorized sml.jpg

4 Cam Screen Capture up lft.jpg

Throttle Linkage SC 1 jh-61617.jpg

wait a minute ...

I'm missing a connection here ...

It appears that you were the drafter ??  

so this was really a two continent project  ??

and yes I've seen the 43th sc engine

who's going to dare to make the throttle link/arm assembly in 43rd scale ////  ???

So if I finish mine in 24th scale I can request a mod?

and did you draw the Ford DOHC ?

and have I opened up another can of worms ? 

and do you have the Becassa app also  ??

On 1/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, absmiami said:

wait a minute ...

I'm missing a connection here ...

It appears that you were the drafter ??  

so this was really a two continent project  ??

and yes I've seen the 43th sc engine

who's going to dare to make the throttle link/arm assembly in 43rd scale ////  ???

So if I finish mine in 24th scale I can request a mod?

and did you draw the Ford DOHC ?

and have I opened up another can of worms ? 

and do you have the Becassa app also  ??

Yes I did lots of the drafting however it was truly a bi continent project.. One day Mad Mike contacted me and said how much he loved the 1965 Ford 4cam engine and did I think I could do some drawings for him and we were off to the races.  I did much of the heavy work but Mike in his madness refined and worked out the details and wonderful transaxle  He did all the printing work and of course the most AMAZING build I've ever seen.  Now he has taken the project to the next level with the 1/24 kits.  I did pretty pictures he did the grunt work.  It would never have happened without his dedication to the hobby. I think this early design I did got him inspired...

4 Cam Engine Sml copy.jpg

Edited by Big John

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

Thanks for the response - info - and hurrahs all around...

Thanks absmiami, to be clear an honest, I only did work on the 1/8th kit  the Mad one has massaged it into the 1/24/25 and 1/43.  You've done wonders on the small engine and linkage and details!  I love seeing what other modelers do with the kits.  Do you have a chassis to put the 4cam into? or is it going to stand alone?  Enjoy!

P.S. I work in AutoCAD.

Edited by Big John
additonal info

• 2 weeks later...

That’s why I asked you to produce the Indy Ford engine in 25th ...   and thank you ..

there are these kits available -

the Indy Lotus 29 kit in 25th scale

the AMT Indy Lotus 38 kit in 25th scale ...

- the ‘68 - ‘69 Gurney Eagle kit in 25th

- the 24th scale Finecast Lotus 38 - more on this later ...

Indycals has made a very limited production 25th scale Lotus 38 Indy kit -   don’t have one but it looks good ...

and Silvercity is working on some Gurney Eagle kits  -  probably in 25th scale ...

Forget about the 25th sc  AMT Lotus 38 - way too small - nothing will fit  -  but the other kits present some possibilities ...

the small scale castings of  kit engine covers are over scale in thickness - by a lot...  as a result, a true scale 24th scale engine won’t really fit into a 24th scale kit

- but a 25th scale might - I’m working on this ..

.  for instance,  your  25th scale Indy Ford engine casting is still slightly longer and taller than the engine casting in the 25th scale 1968 Gurney Eagle kits  -obviously those kit engine castings were scaled to fit into the kit engine bay without regard to scale accuracy - 

I’ve been   working on a 24th scale ‘66 and ‘67 Gurney Eagle body casting that I think will take your 25th scale Ford Indy engine. And or the stock block engine -

it’s complicated - I’ll post some photos once I’ve dragged the Cooper Mark IX across the finish line ...   ...

im putting away the can opener. -  there’s worms all over the place ...

• 1 month later...

DING  DING. ...

the photo is from a restorer’s website - I’m not adding the link because the site appears To have some virus issues at The current time [ don’t we all ].    Tony vandervell’s  engine was a quirky mix of old and new.   It featured Norton’s cyl head design  -  including those wonderful exposed valve hair springs  -  poking out under the valve covers.  

58733409-6B8B-495A-95D7-5AB39603FA06.jpeg

I took these photos over 30 years ago - at the recently shuttered Donington Museum - my one and only visit - the display engine has a story to tell - I think - the pumps and distributor are attached to the side of the engine block - they don’t belong there - unless this was used in the team’s rear engined prototype or the Lotus 18 / Vanwall experiment ...  maybe it was - don’t know ...  would love to know where this engine is now ...notice the hairpin springs poking out from the cylinder head - these are really hard to see once the engine is installed ...

what a cool looking engine ...

C5326476-4449-4177-893D-68D8661F72E4.jpeg

9653247C-DD90-4016-AE2F-40F464A76D2B.jpeg

98F8CFA7-92E7-4F7D-A8FC-1217A363C8CC.jpeg

5FD47C27-6280-4AD6-93B6-E860F306C4E9.jpeg

“Growing” the engine block - from the  display engine photos you’ll see that the block is topped with a row of cylinder castings - I couldn’t quite work out their exact dimensions - but I used .156 evergreen tube - which is 4 scale inches  - and a height of .100  -  2&1/2 scale inches in height ...  that’s close enough ... the rest  is all done with lengths of Evergreen strip and bar and liquid glue ...

E7A3F3EE-28BB-4FD8-B2E5-978B504317AF.jpeg

954F4373-3379-4AE0-ACC8-A185D81DA199.jpeg

813D6E98-7FE3-4776-A565-6C040EC0F047.jpeg

7E0B64B2-49CB-415F-A0D7-4FA68A1F833D.jpeg

6921D2EF-9AD1-4AAB-A46C-3A522A09364C.jpeg

E2FEA44D-AD73-4F43-BA4D-0E44FAEACAC4.jpeg