Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seat belts and buckles

I've been using Detail Master or Model Car Garage seat belt hardware and masking tape painted for my seat belts/shoulder harnesses for a number of years and it seems to work well for me. What exactly are you looking for? Some of the older kits of the 60's had seat belts in them, however they didn't look that good.

Depending on the scale your working in, Scale Motorsports, Tamiya and Eduard have some very nice belt sets. You can also add medical tape to the list of material you can use for belts.

Edited by kitbash1

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

A good pair of scissors and a soda can?? I have never made them, but have been tempted to try this.

Swap the 'good pair of scissors' for jeweller's files and a pair of flat nose pliers, and that's my method. Carve, form, fabricate the chunky bits from Evergreen plastic. Taylor made for whatever project you are working on and better looking than PE.

IMG 1474

Why mess around?  Here's a set of  Model Car Garage photo etched seat belts.  I added a layer of Evergreen plastic to the female ends to give them depth. Then just use a chrome pen around the edges.  I bought three packs of the belts for less than $20 postpaid.

seat belts

1/16" ribbon.  Got all of this on eBay for less than $10 shipped.

So I spent about $30 and now have a lifetime supply of seat belts.   It's just not worth the effort to play around.

The Detail Master buckles slots are just too small for anything to fit through. The "added plastic" would resolve the "thin" of the buckles. Just a pain to work with. Would like to hear about alternates to Detail Master that would work

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Tom Geiger said:

IMG 1474

Why mess around?  Here's a set of  Model Car Garage photo etched seat belts.  I added a layer of Evergreen plastic to the female ends to give them depth. Then just use a chrome pen around the edges.  I bought three packs of the belts for less than $20 postpaid.

seat belts

1/16" ribbon.  Got all of this on eBay for less than $10 shipped.

So I spent about $30 and now have a lifetime supply of seat belts.   It's just not worth the effort to play around.

Could you show a couple of "how to" pictures for this?

I use photo etch for the male ends. But i typically make my seatbelt catches from styrene plastic. I find them to be more realistic in most cases for more modern cars.  Simply sandwich your belt material between two pieces of the plastic, glue and cut to shape, then paint. Of course it all depends on the design of the real cars seatbelts.

IMG_20170615_124435.thumb.jpg.26eba750808980c7864b17a4122faf8a.jpgIMG_20170514_104420.thumb.jpg.9872d2b2f2a51a4212424476115cde82.jpg

18 hours ago, Scott Vinton said:

Could you show a couple of "how to" pictures for this?

Brian,  as I get a chance in the next few days, I will do a tutorial for you!  Here's a photo showing the depth I created for the buckle end using scrap Evergreen plastic.  These are in my Dodge A100 pickup.

IMG 1271

But in the meantime, here's a few other ideas..

IMG 0082

This is the interior of my Jimmy Flintstone Dodge A100 van.  I was intent on getting this one done quickly, so I used photo etched female ends, along with the ribbon I showed above.  For the male end, those were cut off plastic seat belts that were in an older kit.  So those buckles can be saved by simply cutting the seat belt away. 

IMG 4199

Interior of my 1930 Ford pickup street rod. Another example of cutting both ends off kit seat belts.  Again using the ribbon.  Note that I purchased the 1/16" wide ribbon on eBay because I couldn't find it locally.  Seems most places have 1/8" and wider.  If indeed you wish to narrow ribbon you have, it will fray like crazy... unless... the trick is to coat the back with white glue and let it dry.  Then it will cut clean with scissors.

IMG 0071

Here's an example of those old plastic seat belts that came in early kits.  Today we curse them because they are the source of glue marks on seats we are trying to restore.  But why not save the buckles?

IMG 2159

An early interior... 1977 Plymouth Volare front seat  These were done with narrowed ribbon (using the white glue technique) and I made those buckles from scrap plastic.

I have also created seat belts from masking tape.  The trick is to neutralize the sticky side by spraying it with Testors Dullcote.  Then you can cut the tape to the necessary width and paint it any color you wish.

I hope this has helped someone!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

IMG 0071

Here's an example of those old plastic seat belts that came in early kits.  Today we curse them because they are the source of glue marks on seats we are trying to restore. 

Oh my yes. Of my carefully assembled collection of original AMT '63-'67 Corvette annuals, the vast majority of them have these stupid seat belts glued in. Some of them can be removed but usually removal leaves permanent damage in the upholstery. And keep in mind that only the '65-'67 roadster kits had separate seats--the '63s and '64s and ALL the coupes (and I believe all the reissues) have the seats molded as part of the interior. 

31 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Oh my yes. Of my carefully assembled collection of original AMT '63-'67 Corvette annuals, the vast majority of them have these stupid seat belts glued in. Some of them can be removed but usually removal leaves permanent damage in the upholstery. And keep in mind that only the '65-'67 roadster kits had separate seats--the '63s and '64s and ALL the coupes (and I believe all the reissues) have the seats molded as part of the interior. 

photos_july252009 060.jpg

In this case I kept that fur interior intact and actually cleaned and restored it.    And the seat belts were period appropriate so they stayed too! It's in this old Ranchero that I restored. The body was in several pieces when a friend handed it to me in a paper lunch sack!  

IMG 2380