Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rauh Welt Begriff tuned Meyers Manx

Impalow

On 1/22/2021 at 7:47 PM, tim boyd said:

Eric....really inspirational work there.  And I was really blown away by those sketches in your first post in the thread.  Do you have a professional automotive design background (beyond the obvious 1/1 scale display design and production work you already showed)?   Good luck as you continue....TIM 

Thank you Tim!   Yeah, I do have a bachelors degree in Industrial Design with a Major in Automotive Design.... I went to the now defunct Art Institute of Pittsburgh from 2000-2004, when I moved back home to Ohio I kind of fell into the Trade show exhibit world when a local company was hiring.. So now I've been lucky enough to be doing this for the past 16/17 years.. Its a great industry to be in, but I'm still very much an automotive designer at heart. Which is why I am so glad I re-discovered this hobby a few years ago, It gets all these strange ideas out of my head in much less time and a fraction of the cost of building the real thing.

I still contemplate getting into freelancing some hotrod/custom/street machine automotive design work at some point.

I did a bunch of work this past week, just didnt take any photos besides this one... so more photos to come!

tyre.jpg

Thank you guys!  I've been slowly plugin away on this thing...

Got some paint on the engine, its Alclad Polished Aluminum with some washes and detail paint.

Manx2.jpg.17b349d1fa84f3cfd817dfb7b0ffff2d.jpg

I also printed up my Burberry decals and applied them to the suitcase... excited about how that turned out... cant wait to get some dullcoat on it.

Manx.jpg.963e69022a11f61a55efd3118c06b059.jpg

Thank you guys!  A little more assembly and detailing on the engine... scratchbuilt some injector rails to help make it a little less toy like... not going to be seen all that well.. but if ya look they will be there... I’m going to go with a coil-on-plug setup, so I added a photoetched crank trigger wheel behind the 3d printed pully... now i just have to make 6 coils and an ignition module for where the distributor used to live. 

C04A7A6E-C90F-44C7-91AA-FD6D5E619B31.jpeg

3DDA5A53-C7B2-40CC-B4D6-C891B406ADA1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys!   I managed to get some more time on this yesterday evening... Got the coil packs wired, made wire loom tee's out of left over MAD Plug boot material, crank trigger pickup.. After that I  went off with the AM Works Screw Heads on the cam covers. 

Lots of tedious little work but I wanted to see if I can pull off a more modern ignition system for future builds.

Although its a far cry from @Randy D's beautiful Porsche engine,  I'm pretty proud of the results, I can't wait to get the turbos permanently on it along with the rest of the plumbing.

Now if I could just stop dragging my feet on the bodywork. 🙄

Manx3.jpg

Manx1.jpg

Manx2.jpg