Model Cars Magazine Forum
Impalow

Rauh Welt Begriff tuned Meyers Manx

This is really looking great, real nice merging of the two shells. Apoxy Scuplt is pretty useful stuff. 

Another  exercise in styrene and putty, let the creative juices flow....

On May 29, 2019 at 10:25 AM, Impalow said:

So here is a fun project that came to me on the drive to NNL East this year.... 

You know Rauh welt Begriff? the guy that is building crazy wide body Porsche's?  https://rauhwelt-usa.com/roughworld/

What if he got a hold of a Meyers Manx?    I mean a Porsche is basically a Volkswagen, and a Manx is a Volkswagen so therefore a Manx is a Porsche... :lol:

I started this fantasy build by working up a quick concept sketch... that i then cleaned up a bit.

RWB-Manx.thumb.jpg.5cafc090e817374c3dbea42230418d00.jpg

Then it was time to figure out what kits I needed... I picked up an Elvis Manx kit and some Scale Production pieces at NNL East.  I had this 959 kit laying around i bought for basically just the tires, seemed like a good donor.

IMG_1334.thumb.JPG.491a326420be30269f9fdd05491c7663.JPG

Holy molars!!!

Loving the imagination and talent here B)

Definitely have my attention :D

So I haven't logged in here for quite awhile...  like almost 6months(yikes), but I have been working on this project off and on.    Hopefully I can keep some momentum on this one for awhile... I would like to at least have something fresh completed for next years show season.

Here are some updates from the past few months!

This is how it looked at the Final Toledo NNL if anyone saw it there...    I shrunk the 959 windshield down, molded it in and built a targa bar... The Heller 934 sacrificed its dash, and I got that wing to fit much better.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.02c4fed4723d13f028596ff65b365568.JPG

After Toledo I had a fit of motivation, and knocked out the next round of filler and molding.

IMG_0973.thumb.JPG.925297f9dc307a8d32903a70a980acf1.JPG

Then it got pretty crazy, working on the front end to make it less "smiley", making the chassis and suspension actually fit, correcting (ruining)  the ride height and working out the aero items.  I also scratch-built the interior pan,  and used my silhouette cutter to make some side panel detail and a tiny piece of luggage.

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.7b735c3e33153a09348a5d0482243c36.JPGIMG_1744.thumb.JPG.6e9cc32352128425fe45df3523a7771e.JPGIMG_1750.thumb.JPG.94394dc80f270b0fa9851a7deb915438.JPGIMG_1745.thumb.JPG.b85704e483f2a8f57d0516ab7d575936.JPG

Last night i was able to shoot some primer on it, and check out how questionable my rough body work was..... and it is quite questionable... however it looks like it should be salvageable with some time and effort.

I also scratch-built an exposed shift mechanism using a couple of ferrari testarossa a-arms and some beads and pins.

IMG_1874.thumb.JPG.d389516aea2406f0c290af5d0f264db6.JPGIMG_1872.thumb.JPG.52a8a4f7ac8b5680d33653bc52031fd9.JPG

Edited by Impalow

Welcome back, bud!!.....i'm glad you're cracking on with this one!!......honostly, this has to be THE coolest Dune buggy i've seen so far!!!....VERY well designed!!!!

I’ve been looking forward to seeing some more on this one!  I saw the one pic on Instagram this morning but I’m glad to see more!  I really like the side panel detail on the inside of the interior tub, plus the shift linkages are a brilliant touch...LOVE seeing your work Eric!  

Hi Eric, great to see you back building again !

Love the manx, great imagination and engineering. Can I suggest a tiny change, your sketch is fantastic but I think the roof and Targa bar are a little tall ? Your sketch just looks more streamlined, and looks longer and lower. The roof somehow makes it look shorter ...

Ive commented on plenty of your builds before, you know I'm no expert , its just my opinion mate !

Really look forward to more progress on this 

This project of yours is so off the wall....... that it it's going to work ! Your design skills are exceptional, and transforming your original design idea into the actual model is fascinating..... you will get there, Eric.

David