Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desk top drill press

I have 2 bench top drill presses so I decided to put 1 on the bench in the house, I want to drill my own distributors as well as use it in other ways

1) recommendations for the best way to hold the distributors for drilling?

2) what other kinds of things or attachments might work good with it?

2 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I question using a drill press. It'll melt the plastic. Drill them out with a pin vise.

My press has an adjustable belt so you can slow the speed down, I have yet to try it but that’s because I need to adjust it to slowest setting....

Edited by SCRWDRVR

Most drill press chucks would not hold a small enough bit for distributor wires. A pin vise could be chucked in the drill press chuck though. Also, any drill press I have used has had too much "wobble" in it to do that fine of work, especially if you compound any inaccuracies of the press and the pin vise?

Here's how I drill distributor caps.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101796-drilling-distributor-caps/?tab=comments#comment-1422922

As mentioned above, if the chuck on your drill press is too big for those tiny drill bits, put the bit in a pin vise then put the pin vise in the chuck.

Edited by BigTallDad

39 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Most drill press chucks would not hold a small enough bit for distributor wires. A pin vise could be chucked in the drill press chuck though. Also, any drill press I have used has had too much "wobble" in it to do that fine of work, especially if you compound any inaccuracies of the press and the pin vise?

The press I have is holding the bit I have fine I have no clue what size it is but measured with my caliper it's .0375 I need to buy a really small set of bit I think because I'm not sure if mine is small enough. This press I've had for quite a long time but like I said never used because I had another and it really has no wobble at all thankfully..

28 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

Here's how I drill distributor caps.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101796-drilling-distributor-caps/?tab=comments#comment-1422922

As mentioned above, if the chuck on your drill press is too big for those tiny drill bits, put the bit in a pin vise then put the pin vise in the chuck.

You said you used a #78 bit if you measure that with a caliper what size would it be, I cant read any markings on mine so I'm not sure what size it is but with the caliper it is like I said above .0375, I like the guide idea I'm going to have to work on something like that....

21 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

You said you used a #78 bit if you measure that with a caliper what size would it be, I cant read any markings on mine so I'm not sure what size it is but with the caliper it is like I said above .0375, I like the guide idea I'm going to have to work on something like that....

Maybe this will help...

image.png.360ad6541ce15d4ecec9ff4d532e66f5.png

Edited by BigTallDad

This is a vice setup I use for small works. Dremel is a bit too  fast for distributors but you can chuck up a small drill bit and turn by hand like a pin vise. I found the small vise on ebay and it will hold most small odd shapes , may or may not hold a distributor .

20190602_130512.jpg.54bab2893b76fbcbdfcfa1543b3ea969.jpg

1 hour ago, Jon Haigwood said:

This is a vice setup I use for small works. Dremel is a bit too  fast for distributors but you can chuck up a small drill bit and turn by hand like a pin vise. I found the small vise on ebay and it will hold most small odd shapes , may or may not hold a distributor .

20190602_130512.jpg.54bab2893b76fbcbdfcfa1543b3ea969.jpg

Interesting, I have a bigger version of that in the garage, I'll have to look for the smaller one...