Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy De Luxe Convertible

David G.

I've been playing around with this one for a few days. It's likely to be another one of my box-stock builds.

51_Chevy_00.thumb.jpg.4ac7caf05e575221a7a9ab9027341daf.jpg

The wheels are in the color I plan to use. Not one of my typical color choices but I want something that fits the time period. I also want it to be a rich color. Something that looks chewy... like taffy.

51_Chevy_01.thumb.jpg.e52315250b420a791a8aec168422f116.jpg

Although seeing this one with the blue wheels, black primer and chrome trim makes me wonder if I might change my plans.

51_Chevy_03.thumb.jpg.3689e75032a158de04866f3e7623ce54.jpg

Yeah, this definitely has a Rat Rod feel to it right now.

51_Chevy_02.thumb.jpg.f2494ec8ed2a4f888c4dc2e40c482565.jpg

Making this one as a Rat Rod is tempting, but I think I'll stick with my original plan. Maybe
51_Chevy_04.thumb.jpg.0f7efecca8fb1704d52595e672843257.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Since you're up in the air over the final color maybe checking the OEM colors that Chevrolet offered at that time might surprise you with something you had never considered. I like the idea of keeping it pretty much showroom stock or maybe a day 2 style.  

23 hours ago, fivesuns said:

Decisions, decisions.  I like them old chevys, and I will watch this whether it is box stock, rat rod, or something else. 

Thanks Howard, I'll do my best to keep your interest.

16 hours ago, espo said:

Since you're up in the air over the final color maybe checking the OEM colors that Chevrolet offered at that time might surprise you with something you had never considered. I like the idea of keeping it pretty much showroom stock or maybe a day 2 style.  

I did do just that David but I found the stock Chevy colors to be a bit too drab for my liking. I actually like many of the colors but I just had a difficult time imagining this car wrapped in any of them. Well, maybe Thistle Gray or Moonlight Cream, but then I'm getting into color matching and custom mixing, etc. Besides that, I had some old paint stock that I wanted to use up.

chevypaint51A.jpg.3dacc0856e5186b5727d52291e5c22ba.jpg

15 hours ago, fredo84 said:

I keep it like it and ...gold foil B)B)

Thanks Fred,  even though it may not be factory correct, I think I've decided to go with the blue.

David G.

Ya the colors after WW  II and thru the early '50's were kind of drab and muted looking. The only way to make them stand out at that time was maybe using a tutone combination. I always liked the Burgandy Red color and I had family members who had a Black four door. 

1 hour ago, Shambles said:

I like what you got going on there. I've built a few of those back in the day: http://www.shamblesmodels.com/50-s-chevys.html

Some nice work there John. Your blue 'vert is almost the same color I picked for mine. I like your color choices for the interior on that one. I just sprayed the interior on mine this afternoon, gray and beige. It looks pretty good but it's not quite what I wanted. I'm sure it'll be fine once it's all knocked together.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I like it the way it looks now!

Thanks Tom. I'm still not completely free of the Rat Rod Zone. I'm also considering a rolling restoration "work-in-progress" build. I do tend to like cars that have a story. I also like clean and shiny too.

4 hours ago, espo said:

Ya the colors after WW  II and thru the early '50's were kind of drab and muted looking. The only way to make them stand out at that time was maybe using a tutone combination. I always liked the Burgandy Red color and I had family members who had a Black four door. 

They sure did start to punch up the colors from about 1955 to about 1973 didn't they?

Thanks all,

David G.

11 minutes ago, David G. said:

Thanks Tom. I'm still not completely free of the Rat Rod Zone. I'm also considering a rolling restoration "work-in-progress" build. I do tend to like cars that have a story. I also like clean and shiny too.

Cars with a story...

MVC-018S

Try something along these lines.  This is a Ranchero that it's owner is driving as they restore it.  

On 6/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, espo said:

I can remember owning cars that don't look this good and there was no restoring going on, I was just trying to keep them running.  

I know exactly what you mean Dave. Here's a VW Bug that I built years ago from spare parts. It's long gone now.

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

I know exactly what you mean Dave. Here's a VW Bug that I built years ago from spare parts. It's long gone now.

David G.

Neat looking Type 1. The rear end damage doesn't look that bad as long as it didn't get into the engine. Like so many others who have had VW's they are great to work on and they really are a durable little car. I had a '67 that had taken a hard hit in the right front. I bought it as a total with the idea of building a Baja out of it. I was lucky to know a guy at a body shop that pulled the right front pan area straight for me. The body was repaired with a fiberglass Baja kit that replaced the front fenders, hood and center section with the headlights. The rear fenders were replaced along with a semi engine cover with the license mounting provided. Great fun and it was done in the garage except for the paint and I did have a VW/Porsche shop build the engine.  

On 6/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, David G. said:

I've been playing around with this one for a few days. It's likely to be another one of my box-stock builds.

51_Chevy_00.thumb.jpg.4ac7caf05e575221a7a9ab9027341daf.jpg

The wheels are in the color I plan to use. Not one of my typical color choices but I want something that fits the time period. I also want it to be a rich color. Something that looks chewy... like taffy.

51_Chevy_01.thumb.jpg.e52315250b420a791a8aec168422f116.jpg

Although seeing this one with the blue wheels, black primer and chrome trim makes me wonder if I might change my plans.

51_Chevy_03.thumb.jpg.3689e75032a158de04866f3e7623ce54.jpg

Yeah, this definitely has a Rat Rod feel to it right now.

51_Chevy_02.thumb.jpg.f2494ec8ed2a4f888c4dc2e40c482565.jpg

Making this one as a Rat Rod is tempting, but I think I'll stick with my original plan. Maybe
51_Chevy_04.thumb.jpg.0f7efecca8fb1704d52595e672843257.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

My apologies for some of my reparks to others and taking this in another direction.  Please continue with any updates on your build and I promise I'll contain myself.  

11 hours ago, espo said:

Neat looking Type 1. The rear end damage doesn't look that bad as long as it didn't get into the engine. Like so many others who have had VW's they are great to work on and they really are a durable little car. I had a '67 that had taken a hard hit in the right front. I bought it as a total with the idea of building a Baja out of it. I was lucky to know a guy at a body shop that pulled the right front pan area straight for me. The body was repaired with a fiberglass Baja kit that replaced the front fenders, hood and center section with the headlights. The rear fenders were replaced along with a semi engine cover with the license mounting provided. Great fun and it was done in the garage except for the paint and I did have a VW/Porsche shop build the engine.  

Thanks. I owned 4 or 5 of them over the years and really enjoyed driving them. 

11 hours ago, espo said:

My apologies for some of my reparks to others and taking this in another direction.  Please continue with any updates on your build and I promise I'll contain myself.  

No worries Dave, I enjoy the little sidebar conversations that tend to develop in these Workbench threads. 

Just to show that there are no hard feelings, I'll upload a picture. 

It's one that I didn't even plan to upload but it's the only one I have ready at the moment.

I was trying to decide on a color scheme for the interior and this is one of the colors I tested. It's a Duplicolor metallic. I think it has kind of a satin look to it. It might work for an over-the-top custom bling mobile but that's not what I'm aiming for with this one.

51_Chevy_05.thumb.jpg.52b39f14f2aa289647f097e8af6e8ea3.jpg

I should be able to post some more pics soon.

David G.

I have a question about the convertible top. I have this kit but haven't looked at it in some time. Is this a top from the kit or from something else ? The top looks like it might be a little wide where it meets the tulip panel. 

3 hours ago, randyc said:

I think I'm liking this one, whatever direction it takes.  

Thanks Randy, I'm glad you like it.

3 hours ago, espo said:

I have a question about the convertible top. I have this kit but haven't looked at it in some time. Is this a top from the kit or from something else ? The top looks like it might be a little wide where it meets the tulip panel. 

Hi David, it is the up-top from the kit and it fits fine. I just didn't have it positioned squarely on the body.

Like I mentioned in the post, I hadn't intended to upload this one so I didn't take as much care in setting the shot as I usually do. I frequently take photos as planning aid. That way I can see what an option looks like without without having to look at it... if that makes sense.

David G.

OK, I'm starting to get the color scheme knocked into shape.

I really like this blue- Testors Turquoise Enamel #2965.

51_Chevy_06.thumb.jpg.f7c023940fba855c7fcb0f34e8ed2be6.jpg

It's not factory correct but it looks right on this car.

51_Chevy_07.thumb.jpg.eb68a717562052b35406faecd71d72b9.jpg

The interior is Tamiya Racing White TS-7 and a custom Tamiya gray mixed from the leftovers from a couple of other projects.

51_Chevy_09.thumb.jpg.a7587d97b78d38aee4b2fbdf94d8f73b.jpg

I like the gray and white combination but as it is, it's just too plain.

51_Chevy_10.thumb.jpg.7861b9bd4a026fed14d0488b7e758154.jpg

I'm working on an idea to dress it up a little bit.

51_Chevy_08.thumb.jpg.15dee878658b240538ee7084351a5dc0.jpg

More about that in the next update.

As Eeoyre says, "Thanks for noticin' me."

David G.

Ok, I think I have a solution to the bland interior situation.

This is just a practice run but I think it tests well.

51_Chevy_11.thumb.jpg.621fddbaf611523dd7d107f1bf1c623d.jpg

The ink didn't bind well to the decal stock but I think some more dull coat will "fix" that.

Thanks for taking the time to stop and look.

David G.