Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kustom Kwizz

So, I've come up with a new game! I was looking at inspiration pics today of custom cars and thought several times.... "I wonder what that started out as?"

This new game will be seeing if you can tell what these custom cars started life as..... Here's the first one........

5cf322bc033ed_anotherone.png.e7047f23579d817418137de7867ffc14.png

Can you tell what kind of car this is? No need for PM's, just post your guesses below...

I think I prefer the original custom of this car over the "restyle" that happened to it... kind of like the later restyles of the Lil Coffin were jarring to people that were used to the version kitted by Monogram

7 hours ago, Spex84 said:

That's the car known as "Truly Rare" isn't it? Gene Howard?  Pretty sure it's a Buick. No idea on year so I'm gonna guess '53 and then go check Kustomrama to see if I got it right :P

I think it is.  I was thinking '50 - '51 Buick.

Yes, that car is called "Truly Rare", and is based off of a '50 Buick....... Here's another one to guess at, what is it based on?

pinkees.jpg.ecaf726e4cc344f5410e41f3e8d68aa8.jpg

(body work isn't that great, but it is still in primer......)

I hope you guys will enjoy this game as much as I will hunting for guesses   :D

40 Ford?, on second thoughts it looks more like a 41. But considering that the 41 is truly rare (see what I did there?) it is more likely to be a 47. My final offer.

Edited by dw1603

On 04/06/2019 at 12:33 AM, JollySipper said:

I'll give you guys this one, it's a '47 Mercury...... sorry it wasn't that interesting of a choice. This one should be better!

Do you know when this car was built? I suspect that it must be quite recent, but there seems to be very little about it on line which is surprising. If you don’t have a tape measure handy, it would be very difficult to decide whether it was a Mercury or a Ford. Obviously I guessed wrong.

4 hours ago, dw1603 said:

Do you know when this car was built? I suspect that it must be quite recent, but there seems to be very little about it on line which is surprising. If you don’t have a tape measure handy, it would be very difficult to decide whether it was a Mercury or a Ford. Obviously I guessed wrong.

I chose that Merc because it was one of the few customs that I could find exactly what kind of car it was.... all of my search parameters are flooded with Pinterest results.....

4 hours ago, dw1603 said:

And some, like this one, are flat out impossible to nail down.

21b78640bbce8bfb53e830f143384b6b.jpg

Just now, thatz4u said:

51 Merc

It is a trick question, because it's actually a 1951 Monarch

29742031991_5eb20b7618_b.jpg

Sold through Canadian Ford dealers as it's own make, it's differs from a Merc mostly in the grille  and sine trim, and of course, once you start pulling those off, there's no way to tell the difference.

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

It is a trick question, because it's actually a 1951 Monarch

29742031991_5eb20b7618_b.jpg

Sold through Canadian Ford dealers as it's own make, it's differs from a Merc mostly in the grille  and sine trim, and of course, once you start pulling those off, there's no way to tell the difference.

We've always called them "Mercury Monarchs" around here Richard. Using both names. Maybe it's an east coast thing.

We always referred to my fathers '67 as a "Mercury Rideau" [ that's pronounced "Re-d'ho" with the emphasis on the Re for our non-Canadian friends]  :D

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

We've always called them "Mercury Monarchs" around here Richard. Using both names. Maybe it's an east coast thing.

We always referred to my fathers '67 as a "Mercury Rideau" [ that's pronounced "Re-d'ho" with the emphasis on the Re for our non-Canadian friends]  :D

You can call them whatever you want, but as far as the factory was concerned, it was a separate make.

Anyway, it was put up as an example of something you wouldn't be able to figure out from a custom version.

18 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

You can call them whatever you want, but as far as the factory was concerned, it was a separate make.

Anyway, it was put up as an example of something you wouldn't be able to figure out from a custom version.

Wasn't arguing with you Richard, just saying. 

It's like most people calling Beaumonts Pontiacs because they were sold at Pontiac dealers. GM of Canada never referred to them as Pontiacs but everyone calls them Pontiacs.