Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got asked a couple of years ago by a friend in my car club if I could build him and his partner (car owner) a model replica of their race car. They provided me with the base kit and a tin of matching blue paint to start with. I've taken a pile of reference photos of the race car to help me build a reasonably accurate replica. Most of my work will be based on "eyeball engineering"- it might not be perfect but it has to "look right".

Finally I've been able to make a start on it. I'm starting with the Trumpeter kit and will need to make a number of changes and a fair bit of scratch building to accomplish the final product.

I hope by committing to this On The Workbench that it will keep me inspired enough to push through to the finish line.

I have gathered a few bits and pieces to start the build. The Trumpeter kit will provide the body, chassis and interior.  Wheels and seats are resin from The Parts Box and the 327 Chevy engine was scavenged from the 1966 Nova pro street kit by AMT.

Hopefully posting at least weekly updates will keep me on track!!

All comments and words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks in advance........cheers Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by zakdoggi
change of details

Just now, Straightliner59 said:

I like that! A lot! My first car was a '63 four door, with a 194. I really loved that car. I bought a 283 that I was going to build, and put in it, but never got around to finishing the engine... Looking forward to watching this come together.

Thanks!

The car you're modeling is a sedan. The kit you're using is a hardtop. Big difference in roof shape. Model Car World makes a resin sedan body for this kit that's a direct drop-on. I bought one last year and found the price reasonable, the quality very high, and the delivery speed quick. If you want to build an accurate model (and it looks like you do), you might want to check it out. B)

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The car you're modeling is a sedan. The kit you're using is a hardtop. Big difference in roof shape. Model Car World makes a resin sedan body for this kit that's a direct drop-on. I bought one last year and found the price reasonable, the quality very high, and the delivery speed quick. If you want to build an accurate model (and it looks like you do), you might want to check it out. B)

Good spotting Snake.

That's one of the body mods I'll be making. Already got the evergreen strips on the bench ready. Thanks for the call out.

4 hours ago, zakdoggi said:

Good spotting Snake.

That's one of the body mods I'll be making. Already got the evergreen strips on the bench ready. Thanks for the call out.

"Evergreen strips" aren't going to fix it correctly. The C-pillars are completely different, as is the profile of the whole roof. 

All depends on how much accuracy you want in the finished product, but that's entirely up to what makes YOU--and your client--happy. B)

I know I might be biting off more than I can chew....but.....you gotta challenge yourself sometimes...lol :D

Here's what I've got to accomplish. Top pic is the same profile as actual car. Bottom pic is the kit's profile.

Time will tell whether I can nail this one!!  Wish me luck :unsure:

snip_20190603100110.png

Ok, made a start on the roofline changes. First thing was to get the door and window frames in.

Next I'll cut away the existing C pillars and fashion the new ones. Taking my time....... Think twice or more, then cut once!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok. Spent an hour or so today fixing the door frames and B pillars into place.

Then some time on the computer and Mr Google looking at images of the real cars. 

Traced off a pic to get the angles I needed onto a post it note. Cut it out and taped into place.

Time now to sit back and ponder...... "Does it look right?"

Cheers......Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finally plucked up the courage to pick up the Dremel and cut the C pillar out.

Fashioned a new pillar out of 0.5mm evergreen sheet and superglued it into place. Needed a small fillet along the belt line.

Once the glue has set up securely, I'll bend the top corner around to meet the rear roofline.

Phew!!!

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Ricky and Daniel. So far, so good!

8 hours ago, espo said:

Great job on the roof conversion. I usually chicken out on major plastic surgery like this. 

Cheers David. Yeah, I was holding my breath as I picked up the Dremel ?

Thankfully, the added B pillars did their job in holding the roof in place whilst I performed the surgery.

Cheers....... Geoff