Model Cars Magazine Forum

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I like the way you build and write, Geoff! :D

Thanks Chris ?

Another couple of hours at the bench today on the Nova and my other build, the Kaufman Falcon.

Yesterday I thought I had securely glued the right pillar into place, but alas, it let go on me when I bent the top edge towards the rear screen. More goop and let it sit. Then had another go at getting the top edge aligned with the rear screen. The Tamiya tape is staying put for a good while to make sure the joint doesn't move as the glue sets up.

Fingers crossed coz it's looking pretty good right now!!

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pulled the tape off the Nova this morning and was pleased to see the results of the past few days' work.

I'm happy with the result so far.

Just going to let the body sit for a day or two to make sure the glue dries out completely. 

Note to self - buy some Zap kicker when next at the hobby store.

Next will be some filling and sanding to smooth off the roof to pillars transition. Then add some stripping to reinstate the trim pieces around the side and rear windows.

What do you reckon guys?

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by zakdoggi
Text change

20 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

I already said some similar stuff on your Falcon build, but,

Zakdoggi, (or Geoff?), you are one heck of a modeller !

Great going, can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks David!!

19 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Looks like a factory job to me.  Just noticed the right side B pillar appears to be slanting to the rear a bit too much, or is that just an optical illusion from the picture?

Thanks Ricky.

The camera does make it appear that way, but the Nova windows are rectangles, same measurement top and bottom, so the B pillars do have a rearward slant to them. Got the ruler out and checked them, all good ?

Today's efforts were spent on sanding and filling the C pillars and making a few fittings for the fuel cell.

I'm happy with the way it's coming together. A little bit of sunshine today but still not warm enough for any serious painting.

As always, feedback comments most welcome.

Cheers.......Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am really enjoying your conversion work here, Geoff.  I'm currently midway through a conversion from an American Ranchero to an Australian XP ute and I can really relate to the challenges you are facing here.  Your rear pillar conversion is looking very convincing, can't wait to see it with the trim in place!

Cheers

Alan

22 hours ago, alan barton said:

I am really enjoying your conversion work here, Geoff.  I'm currently midway through a conversion from an American Ranchero to an Australian XP ute and I can really relate to the challenges you are facing here.  Your rear pillar conversion is looking very convincing, can't wait to see it with the trim in place!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan. Good luck with your conversion and good to hear from a fellow Aussie.

My approach is to give it a good go and if it turns out looking right, then I've done well. If not, then I just pull it apart and try again.

Taking a few days away to visit my mum, so hopefully back at the bench by the weekend.

All the best......... Cheers Geoff

Got a little bit of time at the bench this afternoon after helping my brother locate an oil leak on his LS1.

A bit more sanding and putty on the C pillars, then I got the engine parts out and glued the block halves together.

To finish the day, I scratchbuilt the fuel filter and fuel pump to go in the trunk with the fuel cell.

As always, all feedback welcome.

Cheers......... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

More time at the bench today and got a few more things done or at least started.

Sanded the C pillars and really happy that its taken minimal filler to get them smoothed out.... Still final finishing to do.

Decided to mate body with chassis and check the look of the wheels and ride height. Looking pretty good.

As the top of the chassis plate is also the interior floor, started filling ejector pin holes. Also on underside of hood and rear seat backing which will be seen in trunk area.

Continued next post......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then got the engine out and found the manifold had a great gap when sat on the block and heads. So added a thin piece of sheet plastic to both heads, sanded down to match head profiles and hey presto, gaps gone!! (Please excuse the 'hand model' ?)

Then it was back to the body and chassis to make a start on the roll cage.

Assembled rear seat, side panels and dashboard to chassis with Tamiya tape, then body on to make measurements for roll cage bars.

So far got the main hoop with diagonal brace together and bent up the A arms.

As always, your feedback and comments are most welcome.

Cheers..... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Rider said:

This is really coming along. Nice work on the roll bar bends, quality stuff. 

Haha! Thanks Curtis,

The pile of bars in the background are my prior attempts!! ?  It took me four goes to get the main hoop right. I broke several before I remembered about inserting a piece of wire inside the tube to help hold the bends and stop the plastic from splitting. Anyhow, job done!

11 hours ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

This racer Nova is getting better all the time. I usually measure once and cut twice, then trying to fix it somehow. Good to see some other way to do things too. 

Thanks Ismo. I do enjoy sharing here as my tips and methods may help others, just as theirs help me ?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the build.

Cheers All........ Geoff

4 minutes ago, zakdoggi said:

Haha! Thanks Curtis,

The pile of bars in the background are my prior attempts!! ?  It took me four goes to get the main hoop right. I broke several before I remembered about inserting a piece of wire inside the tube to help hold the bends and stop the plastic from splitting. Anyhow, job done!

Thanks Ismo. I do enjoy sharing here as my tips and methods may help others, just as theirs help me ?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the build.

Cheers All........ Geoff

Solid rod works much better for cages. ?

8 hours ago, Rider said:

Solid rod works much better for cages. ?

Thanks for the tip Curtis, but I've got a good supply of tube stock that needs to be used. And inserting wire inside tends to help a lot.

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Geoff, keep up the fine work! This is going to be very cool--hell, it already is!

Thanks Daniel for your encouragement ?

More work on the roll cage today. Managed to get the main structure together and glued. I'm using a lot of Tamiya tape to keep it all together while the glue sets.

Pretty happy with the fit inside the cabin.

Notched the rear parcel shelf so the rear bars can run straight through from the main hoop to the trunk, just like the real car.

Last photo of my bench top shows the tools and supplies used for the cage build. You can see the blue wire inserted through the rod to help with bending and strength.

Cheers for now...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

At the bench for an hour or so and made a start on the door window and side window frames. Using .5mm x 1.0mm evergreen strip to create the frames. Glue forward edge to B pillar, let it set, then carefully bend into shape and trim length a sliver at a time until it fits firmly against bottom of C pillar. Then run a bead of glue inside and let it set up. This side will need some minor filling along roof joint.

Also started reshaping and cutting in the harness holes on the seats.... Mods on right.

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

More work on the Nova today. Progress is slow but I'm happy with the results so far.

Got the window frames finished. Next will be adding the drip rail / chrome trim along each side of the roof, C pillar and around the back window.

While the glue was setting up on the window frames, I decided to drill the heads for spark plugs and assemble the materials needed to make the plugs and distributor boots. The plugs will be a short piece of wire with a dob of white glue applied to represent the porcelain insulators, then a piece of the same wire's black sleeve as a boot, into which will be inserted the red spark lead.

Cut and drilled the distributor body to accept the plug leads which will be inserted through the brass ring and glued to the distributor (detail on a tight budget ?).... 

Oh, and the valve covers have been sanded down in preparation for their photo realistic top plates.

Until next time, happy model building!!

As always, feedback most welcome.

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Very nice..... this is coming along great.  I am very impressed with the roof adjustment you made turning the coupe into a post car.  This will turn out great now that the hard part is over.

Thanks Peter, yeah I'm glad that bit is over too!! It ended up better than I thought it would. I think the old adage "measure twice, cut once" helped me through.... :))

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Geoff, this thing is looking sweet! Nice work with the trim.

Thanks Daniel. Still a bit more to go but hoping to have body in primer by next week.

4 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Oh wow man, what a lot of work to make the correct 2 door post (or is that 2 door sedan) conversion, and you're making it look right! Also love the hot rodding you're planning for it, cool!

Thanks Dennis. The mods are strictly as per the real car, which is Australian-spec Historic Touring Car or Group N.

Theses are log-booked cars that ran in the Australian Touring Car Championships, including Bathurst, from the early 1950's through to 1972. And many are still raced to this day, along with fresh builds that replicate those original cars.

You can find out all about them at my club's website: htcav.com.au

Cheers...... Geoff

Edited by zakdoggi
Added text