Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg Dodge Caravan - Surfie Style

Very cool!    Nice concept and clean work!  I know RHD versions were sold in Australia and England.

I still own a 1996 Grand Caravan with over 200,000 miles on it.  The third Caravan we owned.  

I also have built a few  of that kit in commercial trim.   

That kit has become rather scarce.  It came out in 1996 by Lindberg.  It was in a deep red plastic. The story is that they were asked by Chrysler to do a promo, note that this was the first year for this new body style, then Chrysler changed their minds leaving Lindberg holding the bag!  So they issued it as a kit.  And they were surprised at how well it sold.  I even got a few for guys I worked with who owned them as family haulers.

It was last issued by Round 2... or was it the first time they owned the molds... in white as a police vehicle.

Wonder if they'll ever put it out again?  It is a 23 year old car now!  Even though Caravans are still sold today that pretty much reflect that style.

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool!    Nice concept and clean work!  I know RHD versions were sold in Australia and England.

I still own a 1996 Grand Caravan with over 200,000 miles on it.  The third Caravan we owned.  

I also have built a few  of that kit in commercial trim.   

That kit has become rather scarce.  It came out in 1996 by Lindberg.  It was in a deep red plastic. The story is that they were asked by Chrysler to do a promo, note that this was the first year for this new body style, then Chrysler changed their minds leaving Lindberg holding the bag!  So they issued it as a kit.  And they were surprised at how well it sold.  I even got a few for guys I worked with who owned them as family haulers.

It was last issued by Round 2... or was it the first time they owned the molds... in white as a police vehicle.

Wonder if they'll ever put it out again?  It is a 23 year old car now!  Even though Caravans are still sold today that pretty much reflect that style.

Thanks Tom. Appreciate the background info. It was molded in deep red plastic and a snap kit.

From memory, I think I bought half a dozen back in the nineties from a local store that was chucking them out for about aus$9 a piece. Still have 2 or 3 sealed ones in my stash.

cheers....Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mad Slammer said:

Very cool build.... 

7 hours ago, drodg said:

Okay so I sell new Caravans and didn't know that Lindberg ever made a kit.  I love it as it reminds me of a new version of the Scooby Doo van!   Lol!  Great job.  

Thanks guys,

I guess my inspiration for the colours was the sea, sand and sun!

The Lindberg kit was released many years ago in 1996, so I don't blame you for not knowing about it ?

Cheers...... Geoff