Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

Thanks Anton!

The half-shafts are done for now.  The yokes are cast resin (dyed black) copies of 3D parts.

qJf4San.jpg

The shafts are brass acid treated for the dark finish. 

n6N1bMk.jpg

q4Q7t2E.jpg

Each U-joint has four bearings/caps (with E clips) and they work.  The half-shafts telescope too.

Xtf7gd4.jpg

QZhX84g.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

Mark..have been following this post from the beginning.  And I have seen a few of your other completed models.  Thank you so much for explaining in detail what you are doing. Now I know the method to your madness and appreciate your other models even more.  Can't wait to see it finished..it should be world class.  How long have you been 3D printing BTW.   Did you do some of this on your other models??

Thanks Mike and Rich.

I only starting doing my own printing a couple months ago, before then I subbed out my files to a company called Fraxional for the actual printing. 

The first model I used 3D printed parts on was my Gulf Seven.  (Have been using the processes for my "real" work for years.)

I had the coil and ignition box grown. 

JXYoY55.jpg

eBk8eDG.jpg

This one will have more 3D generated parts than any previous model of mine.  But most of the 3D parts are used as masters to cast resin copies.

• 1 month later...

I designed and then grew the rotors several times over the course of a few months.  The detail I want is just not something my printer can do on both sides.  (One side is great.)  I redesigned them adding more material so I could post-machine  after growing them, but the material is too brittle when cured, and too soft and pliable before fully curing.  I was able to make them look really good after machining, but every one of them had micro fractures (or worse) that would show up under paint.

The good side of them:

Jj0AH2h.jpg

The rough side of them before machining:

PjpGC3w.jpg

So after way too much time and effort without acceptable results, I went back to my original plan to make the rotors before I got the 3D printer…  Good old machining.

CBjZm6O.jpg

First I milled in the rectangular vent holes around the perimeter.

S383P6f.jpg

Xx0AjpE.jpg

Then I cross-drilled 60 holes in each side.

btFg8k9.jpg

6179tCV.jpg

ROa0V3s.jpg

• 1 month later...

I decided to go with my earlier rotor configuration; slotted and cross-drilled.

Raw rotor blanks cut from high-pressure cast blank aluminum composite material.

n5CMGti.jpg

I milled the vents around the perimeter and faced them.

y29SZwD.jpg

I cross-drilled and slotted them.  They are directional.

yCed3lb.jpg

This is the natural cut finish of the material.

ZoWOmEd.jpg

Mark, with your ventures into 3D printing, I am surprised you never converted you mill and lathe into computerised machines.  Neither CAM or 3d is perfect for every job, but they each do things better the other. 

I always seem to get more satisfaction when the chips are flying and makin a mess.  ?

I'd still like to have the CAD skills you possess Mark.  It makes you the entire package when it comes to creating things.  Nice to always have that tool in the tool box even though you've not pulled it out just yet.   Been a while since I checked in on the project but I certainly wasn't disappointed.  Great work sir.  cheers, tim

• 3 weeks later...