Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

Mark... Been a while since I have checked in. Been trying to find this build and had no idea it got moved from the Big Boys section. Man this project is outstanding. Your attention to detail always amazes me and love watching your work come together. I am super impressed with your machined brake rotors. I really admire what you have done with them and would of loved to of been a fly on the wall watching how you set them up. I have been playing with my Sherline Mill and have really been enjoying making some chips. I still have a lot to learn and a ways to go to be really successful with it, But I am trying to soak up as much info from others machining parts. Looking forward to your next update.

Couldn't agree more, it's interesting to follow your progress and the Lola T70 is one of my favourites.
I have also looked for this build and can't understand why it was moved here to this section, the big boyz section were it was before was better or the new "other racing" section...yes the Lola T70 is a car but it's a racing car and not something you drive on the street.

9 hours ago, Force said:

Couldn't agree more, it's interesting to follow your progress and the Lola T70 is one of my favourites.
I have also looked for this build and can't understand why it was moved here to this section, the big boyz section were it was before was better or the new "other racing" section...yes the Lola T70 is a car but it's a racing car and not something you drive on the street.

I also follow this thread in amazement, and I was also surprised to see it  here, especially since there is also a "Big Boys" WIP section after the forum was reshuffled.

Thanks guys!  It took me a little while to find it after the remake of the site too.  

It is a street car; this will not be a race car replica but more of something I would dream of having for playtime on weekends.  

I got the Wilwood calipers painted, going for a ceramic finish look.  They are Corvette retrofit units I designed in SolidWorks and 3D printed before hand-finishing the masters then casting resin copies. 

I used the new Tamiya LP-6 Pure Blue for the color.

2QEz2eq.jpg

I carefully saved the rear caliper mounts on the hub carriers when I cut off the molded on calipers from the kit.  But those had to go too because the larger Wilwood calipers couldn't be mounted to them.  Again, these are 3D parts I rendered in SolidWorks and printed.

wVkSRdI.jpg

The pads are installed and the calipers have been dry set up on their respective bracketry.

The rotors, hubs, calipers and pads are all scratch-built. The slide pins are polished steel, but still more hardware to machine for the calipers.

Rears:

HcnbI84.jpg

J42I5Qi.jpg

Fronts:

3MktgmO.jpg

nk81Esi.jpg

Other than praise for continuing your super-detailing of this model I have a question:  Since you modeled some slight wear on the pads, will you simulate wear on the rotor's surfaces?

I've done this on motorcycle models by painting the rotors dull flat-finish steel color, then chucking the rotor in Dremel and at slow speed rubbing the surface with a piece of cotton cloth (denim). That polished the paint making it look like the brake pads were rubbing against it. The color and sheen of the roto's surface was readily visible.

Edited by peteski

All press-fitted machined aluminum with the kit provided springs (also friction fit).

I'll paint the springs later.  At least now I can continue engineering and building other pieces of the car…

Yes, there are rubber bushings for the eyelets.

4ehVy1N.jpg