Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Trevor!

I designed a Weber 48 IDA carb in SolidWorks.  I might have gone a little overkill, but sometimes those details print well.  Even though I made the springs and hardware I'll probably print the master without some of those details and machine them in metal like usual.

05ylFPI.jpg

Linkages that can barely be seen…

TYBC4Os.jpg

The screen is a separate part too.

RlB6AQ2.jpg

Idle and mixture screws with springs.

uEq4F1L.jpg

26 minutes ago, Scale-Master said:

Thanks Trevor,  it's easy to lose a few days drawing these parts up, but it is rewarding too.  Sure is nice having access to real parts too...

Welcome, I'm sure..

I've tried SolidWorks, just could never get the hang of it.

I think it has a steep initial learning curve, but full immersion helped me catch on relatively quickly.  Plus I needed to learn it for work.

First print of the full manifold.

tQxDMpJ.jpg

V84rejy.jpg

Test printed the carb parts at the same time.  In the end it looks like I'll have to machine hardware for them like usual.

aGSuz2t.jpg

FrKRrgB.jpg

Although I was half surprised the lower linkage and springs grew…

EbpxXGU.jpg

OsUfs27.jpg

The radius rods in the kit are clunky chromed plastic with C type snap "fittings".  And they are somewhat flexible.  
I drew up adjustable rod ends and joints and printed some out.  I printed one set assembled together for the rear joints to make mocking it up and sizing the rods easier.
The main radius rods are steel rod and the receivers for the control links are brass rod.
30AnI8j.jpg
fmm66gz.jpg

While I was able to engineer in the correct angles for the intake manifold to mate to the block and heads when I designed it; the printer left too much slag on the bottom surfaces and I had to fixture it up in my mill to cut those angles for a proper fit.  This material is very brittle and I was relieved that it took the vise and milling as well as it did.

I also added a couple more magnets to it.

0vVyuKZ.jpg

The block received two more magnets too.  As well as brass tubing under the thermostat housing and the distributor to positively locate and align the manifold.

9T0ZM88.jpg

VzBsQEQ.jpg