Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

Looks like my resin has aged out, so I used the 3D printed master.  I still have the mold for these parts, in case I want to make some for other projects.

I machined the fittings and mounting hardware for the regulator.

The adjusting knob on the regulator is knurled.  A small Holley decal was made too, and then it was all lightly dirtied up.

h9mr5xF.jpg

V3u1LKm.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, absmiami said:

Very nice - out of kuriosity- how long did the resin last before “aging” ??

This time it went useless at about 16-18 months.  Same product (BJB Enterprises TC-892) used to last me 3-5 years without a problem, but right off the bat I could tell this batch was problematic.

It started to turn at 4 months.  I think they say it's good for a year.  

Their RTV for molds I bought at the same time had a lot of issues too. Basically it yields 2-3 parts before it sticks to the resin like epoxy.  And that is with the mold release they sold.

Usually I'd get 20-30 parts before I even needed to use mold release.

The customer service on this was pretty much nonexistent even though I've been a customer for decades.  I can't recommend BJB anymore. 

Plus the people I used to deal with no longer work there.  I'm sure there is a connection.

I machined the fuel filters.  The primary is like what I run on my real cars and all aluminum.  (It even has the three spot welds on one end.)

The secondary is one of those glass types (that I don't use on my cars…), but I thought it would look cool on this one.  I machined the glass tube from some slightly tinted acrylic rod to give the look of it being filled with fuel.  The ends and filter element are aluminum and it has gaskets between the glass and metal.

ffkujOY.jpg

• Like 1

Fascinating Mark, just fascinating.  I learn something every time I stop by and check your progress.  Just the realism reflected in your finish of the steering wheel rim blows me away.  Your talents are something else and I love to see how you use them.  Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys!

Originally I made the engine cover hinges out of brass and styrene, but it turns out they weren't strong enough.  I made a new pair out of brass reinforced resin but I was concerned they would not be strong enough either.  So I machined a third set from aluminum and pressed the brass tubes into them.  They ride on stainless steel and brass tubes, hopefully that will be strong enough…

cZXpnLJ.jpg

This created a weak link issue and I had to replace the plastic hinge eyelets in the engine cover with metal parts, so I machined new aluminum ones.

uFSGbxV.jpg

XBPMMxj.jpg

Brass tubes are used for the secondary hinge points.

bPUku4i.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To the the moderator(s) who decided to move this STREET CAR as it has been clearly stated multiple times, to a Racing Section, would you please return it to the proper section it has been it for the last two and a half years (according to the forum guidelines).

In fact the very first post states "It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades."

The rear tray section is done for the time being.  The insulation pads are cigarette foil/paper wrapped around thick paper.

wmyauNp.jpg

• Like 1

Again I ask... (Since you moderate every post I make I have to assume you at least read what I post.  If not, what's the point?)

To the the moderator(s) who decided to move this STREET CAR as it has been clearly stated multiple times, to a Racing Section, would you please return it to the proper section it has been it for the last two and a half years (according to the forum guidelines).

In fact the very first post states "It will be built as a street car T-70 replica with some modern upgrades."

I milled a battery from a block of raw stock resin I high-pressure cast for low porosity.

0PjZ7qu.jpg

• Like 1

I apologize, I am sure I am the one that moved it. We probably got a report about it and I didn't do my due diligence before moving it. I have put it back.

This post is the exact reason why we continue to moderate your posts. You could have just sent us a message rather than make a snarky post. Remembering something from 2½ years ago is getting tough for this old guy.

Again, sorry this caused so much discomfort.

So glad to see an update and to be able to follow this build, was worried it was deleted. The level of detail and skills shown in this thread are outstanding, glad to see it back where it was.

The scratchbuilt, resin cast, machined stuff in this build is mindblowing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xingu said:

I apologize, I am sure I am the one that moved it. We probably got a report about it and I didn't do my due diligence before moving it. I have put it back.

This post is the exact reason why we continue to moderate your posts. You could have just sent us a message rather than make a snarky post. Remembering something from 2½ years ago is getting tough for this old guy.

Again, sorry this caused so much discomfort.

Thank you for returning it to the proper place Mike. 

However, since you brought it up, I do not see how any of what I wrote could be considered "snarky" unless someone is going out of their way to be offended and then it's on them. 

Since you of all people know I will respond when others say disparaging things about me here, (hence the reason all my posts are being moderated as you also well know), I have to wonder why you would write that if you're truly trying to keep the peace.

With that in mind, could you please explain, so we all know going forward, just how does politely asking for the right thing to be done this week (because of an error you admitted you made) become the "exact reason you moderate my posts" for the last six months?   

Your comments blaming me for how I worded my request caused more "discomfort" than an honest mistake being rectified. I believe the funniest irony lies in your truly snarky comment hypocritically and incorrectly inferring that I was being "snarky".  

Why didn't I send a message you ask?  (Maybe a better question is why didn't you read the first post of the thread before you moved it?) 

The reason is the last couple times I sent private messages, one was simply not answered and the other was a response that made it clear my point of view meant nothing to the moderator(s) and included an inaccurate retelling of the incident. 

At least by asking nicely, and more importantly publicly, the desired result was achieved.  Furthermore, I have nothing to hide so I don't see why posting publicly should be an issue. 

To be fair, and taking your own "advice", you could have just returned the thread to its rightful place as requested without adding your snide comment aimed at me and all would have been just fine. 

I'm just here to share my work and try to help others build better models.  I thought that was the reason/goal for the forum.

I used the battery to size the battery box I built in the tub.

I0PpHCM.jpg

The terminal rings are brass.

U51OKgm.jpg

A little more detail has been fleshed out on the battery box.  A magnet will secure the battery.

rZPbWO9.jpg

• Like 1

Outstanding details, so glad people share their abilities as it inspires some of us to improve on skills that we can all use to make better models.

Not sure why this was moved back and forth but glad it's where it was originally so I can follow the amazing build.

• Like 1