Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

I made the plug for the alternator and the hot lead with a small eyelet and nut. 

The loom was made by wrapping .0085 wire around .039 diameter wire.  The leads for the tach and battery for the distributor are also poking out.

sPk99xZ.jpg

I added the signal wire to the solenoid (with another tiny eyelet and brass nut). 

q0TXeVd.jpg

Thanks Guys!

Time to work on the body again.  I had gotten the doors to fit pretty well along with the other body parts, but knowing the changes I would be making to the chassis would affect the body I didn't try to make them fit as well as I intended to.

The first adjustments were to do some inner door jamb work.  Plus one of the doors had fatigued from handling so it was drilled and steel reinforcement pins were installed.

The right door ended up with a low spot on the top rear and on the front next to the fender.  Sheet styrene was added to fill as well as reshape the edges and corners.

sgcEeve.jpg

spCALsN.jpg

The rest of the body in those areas was reshaped at the same time.

2JyBUen.jpg

Still more to do, but a step in the right direction…

K5V7O28.jpg

Hi Mark, well, it was fun catching up on your progress and I can get "lost" enjoying all the little details you've fabricated BUT, seeing the body in primer, even a partial shot, after fixing the door.........I gotta say that is just crisp looking.  Fantastic as always.  Tim

• Like 1

I got the engine cover and doors to open and close smoothly and uniformly, but the doors and their panel lines still needed some adjustment.  I added material (more sheet plastic) to the roof to make the left door align better.  The A pillars also received more material for the same reason.

These shots give a good indication of how much material (white styrene) was added to true up the body panels.  I did not use any putty at this point, just styrene and CA.  Hopefully this will be under primer for the last time soon…

rPrrf7V.jpg

Dmbz3mZ.jpg

BN1VG4H.jpg

Once I got the door lines better than the real cars I've been using for reference I turned my attention to the door handles.  I like the cleaner smooth look better than the T-bar handles with the deep dimples that came in the kit.   The sleeker GT40 style handles made sense since the same guy designed both cars.

I cut out a section of the doors to fit the brass inserts I made to receive the handles.

nYFNgMI.jpg

fPbeIB8.jpg

After they were located uniformly I filled in the dimples too.

o4J0emw.jpg

I machined the aluminum door handles too.

r9AxiKT.jpg

The inner door panels were given some attention and a few more magnets as well.  I was using screws to attach them to the doors when I started, but the magnets will make for a cleaner look.  Up until now they were just being used to align the doors to the body. I haven't decided if I'll fill the two bottom holes on each on yet, or add a small pull bar.  Depends on the inner latch handle…

0MmSuqT.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!   Yes it was very nice to see you too Pete, despite the occasion.

I made small doors for stowage for the inner door panels.  The knobs are steel.  I painted the doors to match the wheels and the recessed areas of the panels are body color.

The inner door handles are fabricated from aluminum.  I also added a latch mechanism to the front of the doors for safety.  The front and rear latch pins are aluminum.  I'll add the two fasteners to the bottom of each door panel when they are permanently installed to the doors.

ifKkKuL.jpg

Pudu0K2.jpg

iCj0ONI.jpg

On my list of ancillary parts is a pair of saw horses to support the hood when it is not on the car. 

I started with some brass C channel and rectangular box stock.  I milled the box stock into another size of C channel for the tops.  I soldered the perimeter of the A frame together. (As fun as making them fold up seemed at first, their job is to show off the car part safely first.)

95Qn8TZ.jpg

Next I cut the angles for the bottoms of the legs.

GnkCmpt.jpg

• Like 1