Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

FWIW, today is the three year anniversary of when I started this project.

I designed and 3D printed a license plate for it; even started painting it, but I didn't care for the way it looked mostly because it was too thick and had no back side detail. 
So I made another one from scratch.  I've used similar processes to this to make other plates. 
I started with some 0.005 sheet brass.  I cut this blank and drilled some holes.
Ge8Ub2r.jpg
And then I cut a plastic "rim" from .005 sheet plastic and attached it with clear gloss paint.
diPvKx5.jpg

The same plastic was used to make the "raised" face with dropouts for the tags.  All the tiny letters for the state and the main characters are individual pieces.  There are two layers for the larger ones.  They were arranged by hand with a scalpel and tweezers and held in place with clear gloss.  (That's 25 pieces.) 

That "assembly" was applied as a single piece to the brass.  I know it looks a bit rough, but once I add the fillets to the letters and numbers it will look better.

ZQnfMJq.jpg

When I have a project on my bench for three months I start getting antsy to wrap it up and move on. This is going on three years and the work on display here is still wonderful. Thanks for keeping us updated on this project... it's inspirational to see what talent and patience can produce!

• Like 1

Thanks Jason and Ray.

The backside was done with 11 more "backwards" pieces and drop-outs to create the stamped effect.  It will be silver so I started building the color up in light coats to help hold the pieces in place. 

94u2DYD.jpg

Now that the characters have had the fillets added to them and a coat of primer, they are starting look presentable.

vlyGNvU.jpg

And the black is done...  (I drilled the mounting holes through the plastic first.) 

The top one is the one piece 3D printed plate; below it is the new, more in scale, (37 piece) one.  Maybe only a subtle difference, but worth the effort to me.

Pjn06Qk.jpg

A thin coat of clear and it's done.  I'll add tags closer to the end of the whole project.

woLzR1g.jpg

• Like 3

I made gaskets for the water pump and installed it for the last time. 

I made the belts from sheet styrene cut into strips then beveled into the shape of a V-belt.  I semi formed them before cementing them to the pulleys.  (I painted the insides and edges black first.)

yIbA9Cr.jpg

c4DSpjG.jpg

Careful trimming of the ends created a net fit that was filled with the cement.  Then I hand painted them black.  The seams are in this shot, but not visible from any angle.

0l4T7m6.jpg

This build has so many incredible features, but I'm intrigued by the amount of thought and effort that went into a part most of us would replicate by just using a decal.

The license plates not only consist of multiple pieces, the back sides show the recessed characters.  

mcm44.jpg.a94f238d00fa0157fa3dfcc769bcc75f.jpg

Phillips head screws were a nice touch, too.

• Like 1

The kit wiper was reworked with a steel pin in the arm to allow the blade section to be pivoted and aligned with the windshield.  A thin strip of styrene was added to make the wiper blade; it was shaped to fit the windshield too.

VSY6vtH.jpg

I made small bolt heads for the pivot point and to mount to the stem too…

TH6XRpx.jpg

• Like 2

The carb linkages need to be made now. 

First I made the levers for the carbs.  This pair does one bank and each is made of two pieces of brass.  Soldering them was fun, but drilling the holes for the synchronizing screws was even more fun.

4PxmhjL.jpg

The bellcrank was machined next. 

z17DiHl.jpg

I got a little ahead of myself when I was adding the manifold bolts and forgot to install the wire loom hold-down bracket.  (It protects the loom and the linkage from rubbing or hanging up.)  I made it from annealed brass.  I pulled two bolts and installed it under them.

A10zDPJ.jpg

Now I'm back on track…

wW0TzEJ.jpg