Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

• 2 weeks later...

The shifter linkage was the next "little" project to make and install.  I was a little surprised the kit did not have the exterior part of the linkage.  Turns out it's quite a tight fit, maybe that’s why it was not included.  The extra parts I added and the correctly scaled engine did not help.

I'm still relying on the magnets to hold the body section to the tub, but since I've run the shifter linkage all the way from the shifter to the transmission I'm pretty committed at this stage.

nsxZ0RD.jpg

I also connected the electrical items that were built onto the rear bulkhead to the receptacles on the tub and the fuel lines.

i2GM78K.jpg

The transmission cooler has been installed and plumbed.

G18ruFE.jpg

If it was a real car, it could be test fired now.

• Like 2

While not a big visual thing, the cockpit section of the body has finally been permanently mated to the tub.  Now I get to build the rest of the interior into the car.  Nowhere near the ship in a bottle game; but the limited access proving to be the challenge had I expected in a couple of areas despite my optimistic planning.

The seats are installed hopefully for the final time.  The steering wheel can be popped off to install the harnesses.

sGNvOMI.jpg

dWjU3kk.jpg

• Like 3

I had already finished the taillights and repaired a couple of them due to the flexible hose material melting into them in the box, but upon closer examination even the "good" ones weren't as true as I'd like.  So I machined new ones out of clear Lexan and tinted styrene.  Each lens is two pieces.  I was able to refinish and reuse the bezels and the bulbs I already made.  Two red and two amber.

9gHKVOa.jpg

• Like 1

When I test installed the new taillights I didn't like them; they were too bold for the car.  Amazing what a couple thousandths of an inch can do… good or bad.  I made a new smaller set like the previous ones, but that same design was still distracting to me so I machined one more even smaller "simpler" set. 

I had to make new bezels and bulbs too.

G5cndna.jpg

VFeL0gX.jpg

• Like 1

I had to machine the mounting hardware for the plate/bracket before I could install it.  After it was installed I added the interior mounting brackets for the taillights and the loom (with pigtail) for all of the lights.  Still some weathering to do in here.

WAvCJ1b.jpg

The rear spoiler has been installed too…

p6eiBz8.jpg              

• Like 1