Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lola T-70 Mk III

Scale-Master

Mad skills Mark.  Taking an end-mill to the manifold..........well, that had to be interesting to say the least.  Nicely done of course.  Keep sharing the steps / processes you're doing along the way, they're greatly appreciated.   cheers, tim

I am beyond astonished at what I've been seeing as I started this thread and read through to this point. Every addition and tweak and correction is so plain and logical, based 100% on the thought "this part doesn't look like a real part" and the results are amazing. 

On 6/25/2020 at 12:25 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I am just seeing this thread for the first time. Your work is jaw dropping. I'll certainly be watching this with interest. 

If in the past you never looked into the "Big Boys" section, you would have missed it.  Now that moderators merged large scale model section into this general WIP section, it exposed it to the general population of the forum.  Personally I preferred to keep "big boys" in a separate section, it is what it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a big ol' smile on my face of this post.....you nailed those (of course) 100%.   Just 1 question Mark, how strong are the resin joints?  I know you mentioned the brass inserts so they're most for the visual?    The latest pic also shares that nice clean finish to the spoiler.  A a lot of work and attention went into that as well.   cheers, Tim

Thanks Tim!  The resin joints are about as strong as styrene.  The brass is for strength and will not be visible in the end.

Yes, the rear spoiler was a good amount of work, especially because I dropped it a couple days ago and broke one corner off and had to rebuild it. 

• 4 weeks later...

These are the final masters for the carbs, I grew them from the 3D files I created from scratch.

2BQrK0H.jpg

These are the cast resin tops.  The venturi tubes are stainless steel.  I used a very thin coat of primer then a thin coat of silver to see how they look.  Still more fine tuning to do.

zi51VRF.jpg

These are the cast resin main bodies; same as the tops, more work to do…

3Xuc3bg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Out of interest, I notice you often print (grow) a single piece and then resin cast...what’s the benefit in resin casting multiples rather than just 3D printing more of them?  I don’t know enough about 3D printing to know all the pros and cons...

In this case, and most of the time I grew multiple parts.  But not every part comes out the same depending on the detail and complexity so I just use the best ones.    

The 3D resin is very hard and brittle so I cast the copies in a more user friendly material especially when I want multiples of the same parts.  Plus using one master ensures all the offspring are the same.

2 hours ago, Scale-Master said:

In this case, and most of the time I grew multiple parts.  But not every part comes out the same depending on the detail and complexity so I just use the best ones.    

The 3D resin is very hard and brittle so I cast the copies in a more user friendly material especially when I want multiples of the same parts.  Plus using one master ensures all the offspring are the same.

Ahh, interesting!  I had no idea - thanks for taking the time to explain Mark!  Fascinating!

On 9/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, Scale-Master said:

You're a great teacher Mark. I always appreciate your threads and the time you take to answer questions. I know some of my questions have been dumb ones but you answer mine as well as the good ones.

• 5 weeks later...