Model Cars Magazine Forum

CB radio mount in Boss Hogg's 1970 Cadillac

Trying to figure out where I should put the CB radio.  I got a picture of it from one of the episodes when Boss disabled it (and missed vital info).  I know, I know, the CB pictured probably wasn't in the same car, maybe not even in a car at all.  But you never know.

So I'm wondering, where would YOU put it?  Doesn't seem to be mounted under the dash.  With the plate it's mounted on, any chance it would be ON the seat, between the driver and passenger in the front seat?  Pic from the episode in question, and the in-progress interior....

bhHi84j.jpg

Md62yIn.jpg

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger

1 hour ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

So, the metal bit with the holes on it that the radio is resting on, is it like a box structure, or is it also at an angle of sorts?  I've been looking up CB stands and not having any luck with anything like this.

You should get lots of answers from us geezers about that!  The "metal bit with holes" is probably a simple U-shaped bracket, like the one shown below.  Some of these brackets had holes all the way around, some didn't. Two screws thru the side of the CB player held it into the bracket. The bracket itself was mounted flush/straight against the bottom of the dashboard with a couple of other screws.  The angle of the CB player could be adjusted by fiddling with the 2 mounting screws on its sides.

Some people also mounted the bracket upside down, on the transmission hump.  Which sort of looks like your first picture.

bracket.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

10 hours ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Wow! Good eye....so maybe it really is mounted where I was thinking....

Really, really appreciate that!

You're welcome, it only took about 15 minutes of pausing rewinding, and pausing some more not only to spot it but to get a decent enough shot to point it out! :lol:

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

You should get lots of answers from us geezers about that!  The "metal bit with holes" is probably a simple U-shaped bracket, like the one shown below.  Some of these brackets had holes all the way around, some didn't. Two screws thru the side of the CB player held it into the bracket. The bracket itself was mounted flush/straight against the bottom of the dashboard with a couple of other screws.  The angle of the CB player could be adjusted by fiddling with the 2 mounting screws on its sides.

Some people also mounted the bracket upside down, on the transmission hump.  Which sort of looks like your first picture.

bracket.jpg

I don't know about the "geezer" part if that applies to me or not :lol:, but you are 100 % correct about the mounts being flipped and attached to the transmission hump. 

Okay, now a couple of points to consider....any chance this could've been mounted on the seat itself, between the two front seats, like at the edge of it?  Meaning not on the transmission hump?  Three reasons I wonder:

1) The image kindly supplied by highway seems to suggest this, it's so high up and then so far aft away from the dash.

2) In several episodes, Boss reaches it with ease from the back seat, just reaching between the two front seats to get it.  And Boss doesn't exactly have a long reach!

3) Also in several episodes, when Boss is in the front seat and reaches for the CB, he doesn't seem to be reaching far, but almost appears to be reaching almost next to him, and not down too far.

Meaning, could it be mounted right here (red "X"):

2y7Uhaz.jpg

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger

• 1 month later...