Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deuce de Madera: CUSTOM 32 WOODY

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

A blend of Speedwagon and Boydster style "lengtened" 32: longer front fenders, runningboards, hood & front frame section from AMT's 32 Chrysler roadster, with stock cowl & firewall replaced by a hidden unit that allows hood sides to stretch uninterrupted from grille shell to front door cut line. Curved windshield, scrachbuilt front suspension, Vette IRS, and the usual hoses and wiring. Rolling stock from Dodge Concept Copperhead roadster. Hemi from 32 5W (Revell's). Alclad Chrome +Tamya's pearl orange & Testor's Wetlook clear. Speedwagon decals + hand-made wood effect on woody structure. 

Deuce de Madera means "wooden Deuce" in Spanish. 

Beware of the termites!

CT

DSCF3823 (2).JPG

DSCF3824 (2).JPG

DSCF3826 (2).JPG

DSCF3827 (2).JPG

DSCF3829.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is one way to take the uniquely stylized Dan Fink cr and make it your own. I especially like the hidden cowl and the way you handled the x member on the chassis. Very nicely done.

That long hood begs for a v-12 under it, but the Hemi is well done.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Wow, that is one way to take the uniquely stylized Dan Fink cr and make it your own. I especially like the hidden cowl and the way you handled the x member on the chassis. Very nicely done.

That long hood begs for a v-12 under it, but the Hemi is well done.

Hi Craig!

Actually, the way the 32 Ford (or 32 Chrysler Imperial in this case) hood tapers in the front... it would make it difficult to clear the front of the valve-covers with the hood side panels. Event with the relatively "short" Hemi V8... I needed to mold bulges on the lower edges of the hood sides, as you can see in the picture. Alas, a V12 would cause issues, unless you run with opened hood sides... I felt it would counter the "visual lenght" obtained with hidden cowls and longer side-panels. 

CT

DSCF3828 (2).JPG

Hi! Thanks for the comments. 

4 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I love how your paint color compliments the wood panels. The wheelbase looks a little long in the front with the tire centerline being too far forward in relation to the top of the fender arch. Very ambitious project. Kudos overall.

You are right, Mr. Woodruff... As you can see, the front axle had to go in front or in the back of the front crossmember... so I located it forward, to keep with the "longer" wheelbase theme. Agreed that it is a bit excessive...

The wood framing color was specially mixed to complement the kit's decals and the overall color. Ended up using Testor's Inca gold under blotches of brownish "knots", with added joint lines between wood sections with a micro-fine brown ink pen. 

Hours of fun!

CT

• 1 month later...
On 29/07/2019 at 7:00 PM, CabDriver said:

This is an absolutely stunning build - I’d be proud to have built this one...and now I wanna build one like it! ??

Hi Jim!

It is not that difficult to build and modify that way. On a scale of 10, I'd say it's a 6 or 7. Go for it!

Thanks for the comments.

CT