Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 AMC Javelin "Defiant"_A Ringbrothers Street Legal -1100 HP Restomod

This one is for all the A.M.C. connoisseurs out there. This 1972 A.M.C. Javelin is appropriately named “Defiant”. This 1,100 H.P. creation is arguably the wildest custom vehicle design ever built by the Ringbrothers. They decided to rely heavily on Solidworks digital design tools to render the car’s new panels, which were then brought to life in their machine shop and carbon fiber facility. They extended the Javelin’s wheelbase by moving the wheels forward six and a half inches. The car’s distinctive wheel arches were moved forward and recreated in carbon fiber to pair with a new hood, front fenders, grille and front valance. Other custom details include tail lights, bumpers, trim and engine bay accessories all machined out of blocks of aluminum at the Ringbrothers facility. To finish the look of the car and highlight the body work, the exterior of “Defiant! is coated in a rich, BASF Glasurit color named “Jalop Gold.” The build was commissioned by antifreeze expert Prestone to celebrate its 90th anniversary, hence the car’s distinct yellow exterior .Under the hood is a transplanted Hellcat engine . However, the 6.2-liter supercharged V-8’s 707 horsepower didn’t suffice so Ringbrothers swapped out the stock supercharger for a 4.5-liter Whipple unit that now sees the engine deliver 1,100 thundering horses! Among the Numberous upgrades the card includes a custom 4-link rear suspension, a 12-bolt axle, side exhaust exits, and dics braking system.

Enjoy the clip :D

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1113581_1100-horsepower-amc-javelin-by-ringbrothers-debuts-at-sema

1972-amc-javelin-amx-by-ringbrothers-2017-sema-show_100630884_h.jpg

1972-amc-javelin-amx-by-ringbrothers-2017-sema-show_100630885_h.jpg

1972-amc-javelin-amx-by-ringbrothers-2017-sema-show_100630895_h.jpg

1972-amc-javelin-amx-by-ringbrothers-2017-sema-show_100630894_h.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I'm not buying that 61/2 inches were added to the front fenders. I know these cars.......that fender on the 'modified' car looks a LOT like the fender on my 73. (same for all years 71 thru 74)

jav2011.JPG

Maybe the WB is altered....but not 6.5 inches anywhere....IMHO ONLY. 

The 1971-1974 Javelins front fenders are about 6 inches longer than the first Gen Javelins.  AMC had no money but wanted a different look for the 1971.......look under the hood and between the radiator bulkhead and grille is a huge gap! 

found a pic

Thanks

javelingap.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

12 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I'm not buying that 61/2 inches were added to the front fenders. I know these cars.......that fender on the 'modified' car looks a LOT like the fender on my 73. (same for all years 71 thru 74)

jav2011.JPG

Maybe the WB is altered....but not 6.5 inches anywhere....IMHO ONLY. 

The 1971-1974 Javelins front fenders are about 6 inches longer than the first Gen Javelins.  AMC had no money but wanted a different look for the 1971.......look under the hood and between the radiator bulkhead and grille is a huge gap! 

found a pic

Thanks

javelingap.jpg

First off you have a great looking Javelin and you should be proud of it. I agree the 6+ inches seems a little much, but if you do it right it isn't supposed to be noticeable. Looking at the side view of your car, ands it may just be the angle, but the front tire looks almost as if it is set to far back in the fender flair. Looking under the hood on the Ring car you can see how much additional space there is between the engine and the grill area.  These guys have built several amazing cars and they really know what they're doing so I'd have to take their word for the wheel base changes.  

51 minutes ago, espo said:

First off you have a great looking Javelin and you should be proud of it. I agree the 6+ inches seems a little much, but if you do it right it isn't supposed to be noticeable. Looking at the side view of your car, ands it may just be the angle, but the front tire looks almost as if it is set to far back in the fender flair. Looking under the hood on the Ring car you can see how much additional space there is between the engine and the grill area.  These guys have built several amazing cars and they really know what they're doing so I'd have to take their word for the wheel base changes.  

It is an amazing car......a bit over  the top for me as I said.....but great to see someone think of a AMC for such a project. 

My photo is a crappy cell pic.....but only one close to a side shot.....most of mine are 3/4!!  Either way....if it's a AMC I love it.....with 2nd gen Javelins at the top.....for me!! Thanks

10 hours ago, Dave Van said:

8,000 miles...in a weak moment, I'd have bought it.  I put over 200,000 miles on a Spirit GT: same car without the flares and spoilers.  Same suspension, same brakes, same interior, same engines (mine was a 258 six with four-speed).  About $2,000 less than the AMX (five grand versus about seven), insurance was half as much (GT was an option package as opposed to a separate and distinct model).  I'd like to have another one, it would have to be a GT with the six/manual and GT suspension though.  

I'm not sure why this car leaves me so underwhelmed. I should like it. I've always liked AMC product, especially the Javelins. Huge power, the right upgrades to make the car handle...I don't know. 

I know I don't like the revised wheelbase. Maybe the combined sum of the parts is just a little much for me.

Totally respect the build though.

I don't think the front fenders were lengthened 6 inchs. The front wheel wells were moved forward to center then with the arch in the front fenders. I think it was for 2 reasons. I think for appearance and for function.  To me it looks better. Also effectively moves the engine weight back for better handling.

I like what was done with the car.  

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, paul alflen said:

Revell probably won't do it as a kit!?Since Prestone put the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ up for the real build , how about doing it in die cast 1/25 scale? Prestone are you listening??

Revell could leave off the Prestone decal that might work ??