Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gerald Wingrove has passed away.

I recently learnt that world renowned master craftsman professional car modeller Gerald Wingrove passed away during March of this year. Also that he lost his wife Phyllis last year who was an extremely active partner in their business. Many of their excellent plan drawings were done by Phyllis on their CAD program.

Many of you will be familiar with his scratch built masterpieces and his Complete Car Modeller Books 1 and 2 in which he shared his techniques. Having met him from time to time since he went professional in the early 70's, I found him to be most generous in sharing his knowhow both face to face, by mail/email and of course in his books. He and Phyllis will be sadly missed, but their legacy will live on.

For so many years, Wingrove was a benchmark in terms of craftsmanship, finishing, and research. It was no exaggeration to call him one of the world's preeminent modelers and perhaps the automotive modeler most respected by our colleagues in the modeling world at large. 

He will be missed, and his work will remain a testament to the artistry of this hobby. 

That is a sad news - another reminder that none of us are getting any younger.   While it might sound strange, I can't help wondering if the value of all his art (models) will now increase even more.  His creations are so much nicer than any Picasso paintings.

Kurt, I think the gentleman you were referring to who displayed at one of the GSL shows may be Tom Kirn.

I read a couple of articles about him somewhere and besides being inspired by Gerald Wingrove, Tom actually met up with him at least once. Tom built a classic Packard and also a Duesenberg that were featured in the articles. I am not aware of any more that he made but do remember that in one of the articles it was mentioned that Tom had also restored a full size WW2 Jeep.

I'm usually flame-proof on this forum, but here I go:

I don't think you can compare Gerald Wingrove to Pablo Picasso, wether you like Picasso's body of work, or not.  Gerald Wingrove was a (probably the) first-rate master at reproducing cars in miniature.  He was a great problem solver and machinist, and he had an eye for capturing proportion, etc.  A very creative man. 

Picasso was a great draftsman and painter, academicaly rendering accurate representative subjects when he was studying under his father, and then when he came into his own, conjuring stuff the likes of which nobody had ever imagined.  Art is subjective, and I get that a lot of people might not get Picasso or care for his work.  But I don't think a comparison to Picasso and a model-maker is reasonable; it's (insert old cliche here) apples and oranges.

My career has been centered around my ability to create stuff from a "blank canvas."  It ain't easy.  What do I do to clear my mind and relax?  Other than rebuilding the bathrooms and the kitchen in my house, and washing my Mustang, I go into the model room and work on my models.

Sorry.  It just drives me crazy when people discount the works and accomplishments of people who are probably a little bit larger-than-life than the rest of us.

Best regards and sincerely, PB.

And Picasso's influence is everywhere. even in places you might not think off.  The next times you're enthusing about Art Deco?  That's all people trying to apply Cubism to architecture and applied design.   Check out some of your favourite childhood cartoons, and compare it to some of Picasso's portraits, and it becomes pretty obvious where they we taking their inspiration.

Sorry to hear the passing of Wingrove. A great modeler and inspiration to us all.

As far as the rant on Picasso I haven't seen a post where anyone made the comparison. However Da Vinci was even greater. He was a great artist and engineer. He envisioned things long before they were even possible.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, peteski said:

That is a sad news - another reminder that none of us are getting any younger.   While it might sound strange, I can't help wondering if the value of all his art (models) will now increase even more.  His creations are so much nicer than any Picasso paintings.

2 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Sorry to hear the passing of Wingrove. A great modeler and inspiration to us all.

As far as the rant on Picasso I haven't seen a post where anyone made the comparison. However Da Vinci was even greater. He was a great artist and engineer. He envisioned things long before they were even possible.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so each to their own!        But comparing Gerald Wingrove's creations with Picasso or  Da Vinci?   Completely different genres?

Maybe comparisons with past car modelling artisans like Henri Baigent, Michel Conti, Manuel Olive Sans, Rex Hays, Carlo Brianza or Giuseppe Da Conte would be more appropriate.

Hopefully their legacy will inspire another generation of like master modellers.

Edited by Bugatti Fan