Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D resin printer

Very interesting. The Prusa uses anti-aliasing with it's LCD printer to make smoother surfaces.  Turns out the Anycubic Photon now has an anti-aliasing firmware upgrade that should do the same thing.  The newest Photon is still under $500.  I'll do the free upgrade for mine and see what happens.

The Prusa is way over priced at $1599 for a built, ready to use machine and doesn't print any better or possibly as well as printers costing as much as half it's price. It's on special as the m.s.r.p. is $1699.

As a comparison, look what Phrozen, a leader in 3d resin printer technology has to offer. Here is a review. The 3.5 star rating is due to the reviewer lack of keeping up with Phrozen's response to users needs.

https://all3dp.com/1/phrozen-shuffle-review-3d-printer-specs/

The first is the Shuffle. It was introduced in early summer of last year.

Then in September of last year, the Shuffle XL was available. I pre-ordered mine the first week of September and received one of the first ones delivered on September 19. It uses a 7.9" le

https://ultimate3dprintingstore.com/products/phrozen-shuffle-xl-lcd-3d-printer?variant=12616809087079

Next come the 2 new arrivals. The Transform which uses a 4k 13.5 lcd and interchangeable dual 5.5 lcds. It is just starting to ship.

Last is the newly released for pre-order 4k Shuffle. The first resin printer to use a 4k instead of 2k 5.5" lcd panel. The xy axis improves from 47um to 31um.

https://www.phrozen3dp.com/products/shuffle4k

• 4 weeks later...

I see potential in this especially in reissuing obscure kits, if not as a whole kit, then maybe specific parts. I`m thinking something like a hard to find grill or even a body, say a 1961 Buick bubbletop or restoration pieces such as tail lights etc. I know its expensive to do but I think it could be a possibility.

My company that I retired from is based in Taiwan and I'm going to have them check out the Phrozen Shuffle 4K with the intent to buy one for company use and one to send to me here.

2K resolution is the only downside of LCD vs DLP projector printers I have now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Adamaster said:

Just came across the Phrozen Shuffle video review here and start wondering about buying the standard Shuffle. According to your opinions, the Phrozen Shuffle series seems a great bang for the buck. Are there any tips/gotchas I should look after to before buying it?

Phrozen is a leader in producing quality 3d resin printers. I have both the original Shuffle and the Shuffle xl plus the recently realest Sonic mini. I bought the mini on it's release in February of this year for $369+ including shipping from Phrozen. It's both faster and accurate. Currently, you can buy it off Amazon for around $300.00. It prints faster, the lcd panel lasts longer and it's a Phrozen. Check out the Facebook page. They sell out fast. Photon users are saying that it's prints are better plus being much faster. By buying the Sonic Mini, you are buying into the current technology.   

Several  members on a model RR forum I frequent use Anycubic Photon printers, and they get some fantastic results with them (it is a mostly N scale forum, 1:160).

That forum has a section dedicated to 3D printing: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=45.0

And a monster thread showing what a Photon is capable of: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45736.0

P8tVBRP.jpg

• 1 year later...

finally dipping my "arm" in the 3d printer pool.

there are some fantastic sales of printers right now, so I ordered an Elegoo Mars3 resin printer for $300.

supporting equipment will add to the cost but I can make the UV bake box and possibly the rinse station using scrap equipment from work.

• 7 months later...
On 7/31/2021 at 10:18 AM, blunc said:

finally dipping my "arm" in the 3d printer pool.

there are some fantastic sales of printers right now, so I ordered an Elegoo Mars3 resin printer for $300.

supporting equipment will add to the cost but I can make the UV bake box and possibly the rinse station using scrap equipment from work.

How are you liking the Mars 3? I am going to order one this week and I would love to know your thoughts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:34 PM, Oldmopars said:

How are you liking the Mars 3? I am going to order one this week and I would love to know your thoughts. 

I really wish I could give you some feedback on this, I haven't set it up yet due to lack of safe space, I joined a 3d printing group on FB and am absorbing a lot of info and tips. I've seen some incredible prints come from the Mars3 but I've also seen some software complaints, hoping the software side gets resolved before I get to setting it up.

On 3/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, Oldmopars said:

I went with the Saturn S. I absolutely love it. Print area is large enough for full sized bodies to print in one piece. Resolution is great, easy to use so far. 
This is not to say everything is perfect, but so far all failures are on me. I have had some learning to do. But the machine is great. 
BTW, one thing I really like, is due to the large size, it has 2 Z axis rails, so it is very stable, no layers out of place. 

Edited by Oldmopars