Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Studebaker Lark Regal hardtop

smellyfatdude

One of the 80's promo re-issues. Nothing sacrilegious about taking it apart to pretty it up, so I did just that.

Two things about this body:

1. It had more mold lines that anything I've ever seen, and I had to fight the good fight with a few of them, before I could lay any primer on.

2. I think it's dead on accurate. Never owned a hardtop, but I did have a ' 62 Lark sedan. Seems like the proportions are spot on.

Krylon Dual satin ivory, over Rustoleum satin Lagoon. Tamiya TS-13 clear.

DSCF7445 (2).JPG

DSCF7447 (2).JPG

DSCF7450 (2).JPG

DSCF7455 (2).JPG

DSCF7460 (2).JPG

Very nice. You don't see Studebakers very often these days. A neighbor of mine told me about a State trooper back around the early 60s that drove a Studebaker Lark cruiser with a supercharged 289 I believe. It was one of the experimental Studebakers they built for the Indiana State Police.

Probably not quite as experimental, as you might think Starting in ‘ 63, even a plain Jane Lark sedan could be had with the full Super package, or any component of it. Avanti engine, four speed trans, disc brakes were all options even on a 4-door. Studebaker did have a police package, which included a certified speedometer. But, you certainly didn’t need the police version, to own a fast Stude!

Very cool model!   I have a built '62 convertible and I do own a resin copy of the hardtop.  As you mentioned I have owned a Studebaker, mine was a '63 4 door sedan,  which I bought to replicate my dad's '62 4 door sedan.  Unfortunately the '63 was soooo rusty, only fully understood after I stripped it down for resto, that I parted it out.  

On 6/6/2019 at 12:04 AM, smellyfatdude said:

Those cars rusted in some unique ways, that’s for sure. My cousin restored the body on his wife’s ‘ 64 Daytona sedan, a total of three times. It seemed to manage to rust through in every spot that hadn’t been touched, the previous times. ?

Yup! I had a '63 Lark 4 door sedan. My father was a Studebaker guy and his last one was a '62 Lark sedan pretty much like this one.  I bought it to work on with him, and I thought just for fun I'd do it up as a police car.  I even collected all the police parts. I think I still have the spotlights.

It was a 72,000 mile car with a good running 6/auto.   It looked okay when I bought it.  Little did I know that some kid must've "restored" it ten years earlier.  As I took paint off I found liberal amounts of putty sculpted structural pieces... like the top of the A pillars and driver side B pillar were nearly unattached.  When I removed the rusty front fenders I found the rear mounts to the cowl were into rivited soda can.   My father even chimed in that he traded the '62 in on a '66 Pontiac Lemans, and even at four years old it was starting to rust! 

This was back in the 1980s when Newman and Altman was still in South  Bend with an amazing parts hoard. I bought all four NOS doors for $125 each.  Fiberglass fenders,  new bumpers, every friggin piece of trim and a complete rubber kit.  I was loaded for bear,  over $2000 in parts to go onto a car I paid $300 for.   Car guy logic!  

Once I stripped it down and the local neighborhood welder guy and I looked it over, both of us agreed that we didn't want to be responsible for this car on the road.  So I closed the garage door and let it sit there for ten years.  As I got near selling that house, I figured I could at least recoup the parts cost. I contacted the local Studebaker Drivers Club chapter and they put it in their newsletter. Guys came from far and wide to buy parts.  Guys cut stuff I never would've thought selling off the hulk.  I put parts on eBay and sold the fiberglass fenders to a guy who had a race car. I even got pictures of them on the car!  Another guy bought the 4 rusty doors just for the glass and regulators.  I still had the rolling chassis with engine and trans in it, and I put it on eBay for $1000.  A guy came and offered me $750!  He wanted to transfer it all over to an old Studebaker pickup.    All told I sold it for over $4000.

And everytime I see a Studebaker to this day, I swear I can hear it rusting!   

When my cousin did the body work on his wife’s car the first time, he didn’t need to cut out the center door posts. He simply twisted them out, with a large pipe wrench. The whole floor needed to be replaced, as well as major repairs to the rest of the body. The final time he fixed it up, the roof had actually started to rust through, on the passenger side. Somehow, he managed to cut out an area about a foot square, without removing the headliner or setting it on fire in the process. Now, this was a daily driver, that saw year round use. But, several years after that when rust bubbles started to appear, again all in places that hadn’t previously needed repair, they finally bought a new Jeep and scrapped the car. Twenty seven years, 270,000 miles, it’s time had come.

Well done! Gotta get one of these. Did Jo-Han release this as a snap kit, or only the convertible?

Just for grins, try measuring the wheelbase and seeing what scale this kit really is tango_face_grin.png.0fca40ea3eff5ae4ded451129ef42790.png. The actual car is 109".

Hmm. Let's line them up, equal length:

5cfc42b7d30c3_62larkcomparison-01.jpg.2bdab679ed3bbd87c4ae4eee2d887579.jpg

I think Jo-Han got the doors a little short?

On 6/8/2019 at 5:25 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Well done! Gotta get one of these. Did Jo-Han release this as a snap kit, or only the convertible?

Just for grins, try measuring the wheelbase and seeing what scale this kit really is tango_face_grin.png.0fca40ea3eff5ae4ded451129ef42790.png. The actual car is 109".

Hmm. Let's line them up, equal length:

I think Jo-Han got the doors a little short?

Someone else may know better, but I think there were kits and promos of both the hardtop, and convertible. I remember seeing the kits for both re-issued, around 1983.

I think Johan got the angle of the vent window, a little off. If you look at the 1:1, the post for the vent window runs parallel to the front edge of the glass. On the model, it's

sticking out a little too far back. Would have been easy enough to correct, anyway.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:20 AM, Tom Geiger said:

And since we're having fun with this reminiscing...  here's the Stude as it left my property!   AMF you rusty turd!

Tom, I don't blame you for not wanting to tackle that, one bit. But, that '64 Daytona actually looked a lot worse, especially once the door posts were gone. I was just a kid, about 14 when my cousin started tearing apart his then girlfriends car, in my uncles garage. A visit  to their house during that winter, ' 78 - ' 79, usually would find a little more progress done. The doors and front fenders were donations from a parts car, as his girlfriends dad had an identical Daytona. The following spring, the car was painted, she had it upholstered, and eventually the Daytona acquired power steering, power brakes, and a 4 barrel for the original 259. Nice little driver. Consequently, while my cousin was dealing with his girlfriend's "rusty turd", there was also yet another ' 64 Daytona sedan in town, at that time. It belonged to an elderly gent, who was also a member of the SDC, and he had purchased the car when it was a few months old, a demo model from the dealership. The first thing he did was take it to a body shop and have it undercoated, and I can tell you the last time I saw the car in the early 80's, the body was as beautiful as the day the car was made. :rolleyes: