Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford HDT-950 aka Two Story Falcon (converted AMT cab)

Hi,

I always thought that a Ford H would make a very attractive model but sadly there was never any styrene kit. There were (maybe still are) two resin cabs available by various casters over the years. Both had salient shortcomings that made them unusable. IMO the only way to a realistic H model is converting the cab of AMT's Ford C-600 or C-900.

AMT's cab is well-proportioned, but before starting the conversion some minor shortcomings should be tackled. The ribbed vents behind the doors are missing, the door handles are moulded, the chrome windscreen sealings are too wide and the mirror brackets are too thick.

Initially I underestimated the sacrifice of time for this conversion considerably and particularly the ribbed fairing turned out to be quite demanding. All in all I spent nearly 500 hours for the tractor.

FordH001250-vi.jpg
FordH002250-vi.jpg
FordH003250-vi.jpg
FordH004250-vi.jpg
FordH005250-vi.jpg
FordH006250-vi.jpg
FordH007250-vi.jpg
FordH008250-vi.jpg
FordH009250-vi.jpg
FordH010250-vi.jpg
FordH011250-vi.jpg

Very impressive.   There is an ugly/beautiful dichomoty with the H series that really appeals to me.  I'd like to build one eventually, but I agree the resin cabs have some shortcomings, and I don't think I could reproduce the ribbed lower section as well as you have.  Do you have any photos of the work in progress?

Excellent job! Super realistic representation of an early 60's hauler. Love the attention to factory correct details,  especially Custom Cab with white 4 spoke steering wheel, period emblems and  mirrors. Many of us would like to see this vehicle covered in resin someday!

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Very impressive.   There is an ugly/beautiful dichomoty with the H series that really appeals to me.  I'd like to build one eventually, but I agree the resin cabs have some shortcomings, and I don't think I could reproduce the ribbed lower section as well as you have.  Do you have any photos of the work in progress?

Very nice piece of work! I too would like to see progress pics!

Your builds always amaze me! This is probably the best one yet! This thing looks amazing! Your work is flawless. You truly are an artist! I was hoping to build one of these some day, but in no way would t compare to this. Excellent build!!

Could I ask what engine is in this one. The only one that I ever seen in person had a V-8 Cummins in it. It looked like a 555 or similar.

The "Two Storie Falcon" Is Quite impressive . Faultless .. BTW , the V/8 Cummings is the 903 . Dual Exhausts were required to maximize Volumetric Efficiency . Testing proved  4.5 GPM   was achievable only with Dual Exhaust  .  What a Gem .. TY 

13 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Could I ask what engine is in this one. The only one that I ever seen in person had a V-8 Cummins in it. It looked like a 555 or similar.

For 1961,  Ford only offered three Cummins straight sixes, the 180, 195 and 220. But, sure,  a build could be updated to many other powerplants. BTW, the 534 gas engine was also available.

I was curious about this due to the title and I'm glad I looked! Super excellent job on a truck I've never seen before! When I saw your first pic, I could have sworn you were at first showing the real thing! Beautiful details and EXCELLENT pics! B) 

Thanks for the comments so far!

On 4.6.2019 at 9:48 PM, dodgefever said:

21 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Very nice piece of work! I too would like to see progress pics!

I am sorry,I don't have any WIP pictures. While building I find taking pictures or making notes very disruptive. For the same reason I stopped writing magazine articles long ago.

18 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Your builds always amaze me! This is probably the best one yet! This thing looks amazing! Your work is flawless. You truly are an artist! I was hoping to build one of these some day, but in no way would t compare to this. Excellent build!!

I build all models (car models as well) as curbsides, i. e. there are no movable parts and I omit everything that is not visible when the model is displayed or turned upside down. When modeling the engine to this extent I followed a set of pictures of a real HTD-950 but today I can't tell what engine it was.

14 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

That is really nice!  I can believe the 500 hours, it shows.  I have to ask about the headlights, they look so real, don't tell me there are aftermarket units.

I am quite sure that I used the kit headlights. When iserting the lenses with gloss acrylic clear I use to paint them finally. Maybe this gives more depth on the pictures.

Edited by Plastheniker

6 hours ago, dimaxion said:

The "Two Storie Falcon" Is Quite impressive . Faultless .. BTW , the V/8 Cummings is the 903 . Dual Exhausts were required to maximize Volumetric Efficiency . Testing proved  4.5 GPM   was achievable only with Dual Exhaust  .  What a Gem .. TY 

5 hours ago, leafsprings said:

For 1961,  Ford only offered three Cummins straight sixes, the 180, 195 and 220. But, sure,  a build could be updated to many other powerplants. BTW, the 534 gas engine was also available.

I'm definitely no expert, from what I've read the later H models were available with the V-8 Cummins. The 903 wasn't released until late 67 and the H models were only produced through 66, that is why I assumed the one that I saw had a 504 or 555 which looked similar to the 903 but smaller. What ever it was, it looked to be factory and it was definitely a v-8 Cummins and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 903. The main reason that I inquired was that I've been wanting to see someone build the smaller v-8 Cummns in scale. I hope to put one in a project one day.

6 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

Thanks for the comments so far!

I am sorry,I don't have any WIP pictures. While building I find taking pictures or making notes very disruptive. For the same reason I stopped writing magazine articles long ago.

I can appreciate and completely respect that! Thanks for sharing the finished pictures!