Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford HDT-950 aka Two Story Falcon (converted AMT cab)

12 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

This is nothing short of a masterpiece! I agree there is no resin bodies that do this truck justice, well done!

:):):)

Absolutely agree!!!!   That's is truly one of the BEST jobs I've seen done on one of these conversions!!!!  (and I can attest to how CRUMMY some of the resin castings are.... bought one at one of the model shows, when I got to examining it once I was home, I ended up giving it away....)

DJ

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, dimaxion said:

The "Two Storie Falcon" Is Quite impressive . Faultless .. BTW , the V/8 Cummings is the 903 . Dual Exhausts were required to maximize Volumetric Efficiency . Testing proved  4.5 GPM   was achievable only with Dual Exhaust  .  What a Gem .. TY 

An 903 is too new for an H.These would be the correct era cummins V8

cumminsv265.jpg

On 6/9/2019 at 5:26 PM, mistermodel said:

An 903 is too new for an H.These would be the correct era cummins V8

cumminsv265.jpg

In Class 8 Operation the operating range was governed between 1800-2100 RPM .. Shift both up and down at those points . I picked of Steel Loads at the Carnegie Mills in Pittsburgh , Pa. . After I turned he Corner  onto the street . Lo and Behold .  In front of me there was a Large Sign :  " Truckers , this is  a Hospital Quiet Zone"  .  At the Bottom of a hill BTW .. 903 w/Duals .. lol ..  Hmm .. like the two stroke joke Detroit s were any quieter ?  Yes ,, to be honest . This too would be the V/8 Choice for the two storied Falcon  Thanx  

Edited by dimaxion

Thanks for the recent replies!

On 5.6.2019 at 3:01 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Your builds always amaze me! This is probably the best one yet! This thing looks amazing! Your work is flawless. You truly are an artist! I was hoping to build one of these some day, but in no way would t compare to this. Excellent build!!

Could I ask what engine is in this one. The only one that I ever seen in person had a V-8 Cummins in it. It looked like a 555 or similar.

I reviewed my old Ford H-series files. Kevin (mistermodel) is right.

7.thumb.jpg.74b9917508bafd24c5d3abf55ff3068b.jpg5d02903fd2118_1962II.jpg.e401803a826687412c6a393b00847e30.jpga152958.jpg.ef9290c96c7717912c384dff93410c7e.jpgford_brochure_7.jpg.38cf09b62d7ae22659541912cfa39588.jpg

Thanks for the latest replies!

On 15.6.2019 at 10:30 PM, leafsprings said:

The suspense is killing me, lets see what that exhaust pipe is attached to!

As mentioned before I build all models (car models as well) as curbsides, i. e. there are no movable parts (including the cab), and I omit everything that is not visible when the model is displayed or turned upside down. When modeling the engine to this extent I followed a set of pictures of a real HTD-950 but today I can't tell what engine it was.

As already mentioned there were at least two resin cabs. One seems to be still available. Maybe it should be said why IMO both cabs are unusable.

The first one is a sleeper version.

The left and right front segments of the ribbed valance and the radiator shutter are conspicuously misaligned. Since all castings show this shortcoming the cause seems to be a distorted mould. IMO re-aligning on the casted cabs is impossible.

The second one is a daycab version, formerly sold by The Backyard Shed and Aussie Resin Models, now obviously available by Sourkraut's Model Trucks.

The radiator shutter isn't replicated at all. The seven ribs of the valance are simply simulated by five recessed lines. The headlights are too small, the casted wipers are still those of the C-seies and the cab protrudes too far beyond the valance. All in all the impression is crude and unrealistic.

Jurgen, That is simply fabulous. One of the things that I always appreciate about your models, besides the excellent proportions, is that you don't get carried away with excess chrome plating. They look like they would have looked new at the time.

Congratulations!

On 6/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, Plastheniker said:

When modeling the engine to this extent I followed a set of pictures of a real HTD-950 but today I can't tell what engine it was.

Assuming it is a '61 or '62,  Ford installed the 180, 195 or 220. In '63 the new 855 cu. in.  250 was offered,  the same engine used in the White Freightliner cabovers. Here is a shot  of how the straight 6 was installed, at a slight angle for clearance.

IMG_0205.JPG

On 4.6.2019 at 11:53 PM, leafsprings said:

Excellent job! Super realistic representation of an early 60's hauler. Love the attention to factory correct details,  especially Custom Cab with white 4 spoke steering wheel, period emblems and  mirrors. Many of us would like to see this vehicle covered in resin someday!

you've done it again, Jürgen - but 500  hours ? I never had the patience (nor the ability) for this degree of perfection !

Absolutely amazing work! It looks more real than many photos of real trucks!  About 3o years ago, I had a resin cab of this from Rick Manz of Arizona............................crude, misaligned lower ribbed section, and VERY rough and made of a very brittle resin. Never built it, and sold it off to get something better. This build is a quantum leap ahead of all of those!

2 hours ago, 72 Charger said:

I plan on doing one of these rigs one day

If the body work  needed on one of these H series is too much, there is the sibling of the H series , the N series, which is available and  is super high quality . The N series also used the straight six Cummins and several other diesel engine offerings. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-N-950-1965-1-25-scale-resin-truck-cab-kit/223563303139?hash=item340d6948e3:g:apgAAOSwlmhbNmW~&frcectupt=true

May have took a lot of hours but the end result seems to have been well worth the effort!B)

Fantastic Falcon 2 Story tractor!

Seems like that particular semi tractor was a favorite on the carnival circuit! I would see them at carnivals well into the 1990's!