Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kaufman Falcon Tribute

zakdoggi

Was watching Shifting Gears and remembered I had an early model Ford Falcon resin body in my stash somewhere.

Dug it out and decided to do a Kaufman tribute car. Not exactly the same model year but will still do the job as a "tribute" build.

I'd already sorted out a number of Nascar kits that I'll be selling off and decided one of the early AMT Monte Carlo kits might do. They're a simple kit offering the opportunity to do a quick buildup.

Well, laying the body on the chassis plate and, what do you know, the wheelbase is exactly the same!! Even the width is spot on. Some judicial trimming of the chassis plate and I was in the ballpark.

Selected some similar wheels (Fujimi BBS DTM) and got to it.

546b3672b31d7_-_0031963_ford_falcon_gmg-lg.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 007.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 006.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 002.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 004.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 003.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 005.jpg

A little bit more trimming of the chassis and interior tub, then mocked up the rollcage and borrowed the dashboard from the AMT 1961 Ranchero kit.

Throw the wheels on and refine the stance.

Don't know whether to leave the driver's side net in or not...... probably remove it I think.

Kaufman Falcon 014.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 012.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 018.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 022.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 019.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 020.jpg

Kaufman Falcon 021.jpg

Thanks guys. Appreciate your compliments!

This was a spur of the moment project and I was astounded when the body and chassis mated together almost perfectly.

This has become the third project on my bench, so hopefully I'll get it done in a reasonable timeframe. Just had to do it though!

Cheers......Geoff

Very cool looking project. I also followed the "Bearded Wonders" exploits with his Falcon and enjoyed everything he did. While you're getting close to finishing this, and it doesn't really matter, but the hardtop roof from the Trumpster kit might give you the originals roof if it matters to you at this point.  

Thanks for your feedback guys. Appreciate it.

I'll drop the driver's net as you suggested.

Espo, thanks for the roofline suggestion, but this one's got to be a quick build and I decided it will be a something similar, not the exact car.

Make sure that chair is a comfortable one Curtis :))

By the way, the AMT Kyle Petty donor kit came with a driver figure, so I think young Aaron might make an appearance in the driver's seat. Watch out!!

Cheers.... Geoff

I've built a few Falcons myself, and I have an extra resin '63 1/2 fastback, if you're interested? I don't think we should be trying to sell stuff here, I'm just offering this in case you'd like it? email if so:

dennis@atdhouseandgarden.com

18 hours ago, espo said:

I'm enjoying watching this come together. I never realized that the early AMT NASCAR kits had such a simplified chassis and no engine. 

It was a bit of a shock to me too David. But it means I got exactly what I needed for this build.

Thanks Craig!

All good Dennis. Thanks for the offer but I'm not after an exact replica, just a quick build. 

A little bit more work on it today. 

Cut the drivers net out and smoothed the roll cage.

Also started to clean up the resin body - deepening the panel lines and removing the badges.

Cheers....Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 6/5/2019 at 9:25 AM, espo said:

Very cool looking project. I also followed the "Bearded Wonders" exploits with his Falcon and enjoyed everything he did. While you're getting close to finishing this, and it doesn't really matter, but the hardtop roof from the Trumpster kit might give you the originals roof if it matters to you at this point.  

Just curious -  what would the correct body/roofline be and was there ever a kit of the car AK actually used?  If I recall from the show it was described as a '64.

28 minutes ago, djflyer said:

Just curious -  what would the correct body/roofline be and was there ever a kit of the car AK actually used?  If I recall from the show it was described as a '64.

David that was not a 64 he built. Different body all together. I think it is a 63, I just checked and it is a 63. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup

12 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

David that was not a 64 he built. Different body all together. I think it is a 63, just not sure but it might be a 62. 

Thanks for the info.  Now I will have to go back and watch those shows again.  Have been thinking the Pike Peak car would be a great build and now this thread comes up.