Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kaufman Falcon Tribute

zakdoggi

Glad to have inspired you guys!

Back at the bench today - a rainy public holiday - and working on this and my Chevy Nova race car conversion.

The Falcon body has a few pinholes, so out with the putty and knife to get them all filled.

Hopefully will post some more pics up later tonight.

Cheers......Geoff

My time at the bench today was shortened by a call from my neighbour wanting a patch welded into the door of his project car, so not much done other than filling pin holes in the body.

Hopefully, the weather will improve enough to get some paint on this week! One can only hope ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Spent an hour or two today working on the roll cage structure. 

The kit cage was missing one of the top bars so a piece of black sprue was recruited in to replace it.

I then started adding the additional bars that are found in Aaron's car using evergreen tubing.

Removed the top bars of the lower cage because the real car pic shows that the first horizontal bar besides the driver / passenger is well below the door window.

I still have some small brace bars top, front and rear to add in.

Coming along nicely.

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another free hour and a little bit more progress.

Cut away the rear parcel shelf and replaced it with a larger piece of flat sheet to fill the gap to the rear window.

Also made the door panels and foiled them with BMF to represent the aluminium panels in the real thing.

All in all, I'm happy with progress and "the look" I'm achieving.

Cheers..... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The weather has not been conducive to paint, so I'm focusing on the interior and hoping the weather improves enough over the next week to get the body painted at least in primer.

Rebuilding the gear lever mount. Just need to level off the sides to the top.

Thinned the gear lever shaft down and gave it more curve.

Started building the handbrake assembly and switch panel.

The pink handbrake is the internals from a cheap ballpoint pen!! Perfect for the job.

Hogged out the instrument panel and replaced with flat sheet, ready to receive the Racepak dash module.

Mocked up the vent holes on the hood.

Found some good images of Wilwoods and discs. Resized and printed on photo paper via Corel Draw. I'll paste them onto some plastic sheet of a decent thickness, then cut them out and Presto! Instant brakes ?

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

More interior work on the Falcon and then an attempt at the brake disc/caliper combo.

Shaped and drilled the shifter mount. Built the control switch panel, extinguisher button and brake bias knob.

Glued the disc brakes to a piece of scrap plastic I cut from an old calculator case then cut them apart. Cut off as much as the plastic as I could with the trusty number 5.

Drilled a hole in the first one, mounted it on a spindle and chucked it on the Dremel. Then whilst it spun at lowest speed, fed a file against it's edge to round it down.

Applied the silver paint marker to it's face and edge while it spun.

Glued the Wilwood caliper to a thinner piece of plastic sheet, cut it out, touched up the edges with a black paint pen and glued it in place on the disc. Looks pretty convincing mounted in the wheel ?

Happy with today's progress but realising my attention to details is going to extend this build beyond being a "quick one"!! ??

Oh well, at least I'm having fun and stimulating the old gray matter ?

Keen to hear what you guys think. ?

Cheers..... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by zakdoggi
Text change

20 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

Resin parts, kit-bashing, and scratch building. Whoa!

Zakdoggi, you are one hell of a modeller !

Great stuff. 

Thanks for your kind words David. Still a way to go but happy with it so far.

Today's focus was on the disc brakes. Had a few mishaps along the way but have managed to get 3 discs and just one caliper done so far.

I need to trim the wheel boss down to bring the brake assembly out further to the rear of the rim and paint the inner wheels gold.

Otherwise, I think it's looking the part of the real thing! 

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Geoff, I think you pretty much nailed that! Another cool project, from your bench. Inspiring, too! Now, I'm going to have to pick up one of those crappy old AMT NASCAR kits, because you've given me ideas!

Thanks heaps Daniel.

If I was in the States, I'd hand you one of them crappy kits ?

Your builds are fantastic too ? So I can't wait to see what you'll do with those ideas of yours.

Cheers..... Geoff

On 17 June 2019 at 12:04 PM, Rider said:

This is really starting to shape up nicely. Keep going. 

On 18 June 2019 at 3:01 AM, dino246gt said:

Nice work, I'm really diggin' it, I LOVE Falcons!

Thanks guys. Appreciate your support and encouragement ?

Cheers....... Geoff

Got a free hour at the bench today and managed to knock out the rest of the disc brakes and paint the wheel centres. Still need to clean the wheels up, give them a black wash and highlight the valve stems.

With the lousy weather we are having, I'm hoping to spend a few hours over the weekend on some more interior details.

Cheers for now...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

A whole afternoon at the bench today so got a few things done on the Falcon.

Wheels tidied up and onto tyres with disc brakes mounted.

Dashboard radio and switches deleted then into primer.

Handbrake and switch panel assembly detail painted.

Molded in gas tank removed and replaced with sheet plastic ready for new fuel cell, and side pipes removed to make way for brass tube replacements.

And finally got the roll cage primed and top coated. Color is American Antique White.

As always, feedback welcome ?

Cheers...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Time this week so far has been taken up with big car activities - a track day Saturday then prepping my wife's car for sale. Yesterday went out and bought another car.

Anyhow, today I found a little time to get to the bench.

Did some mock ups to see how things are coming together.

Interior starting to look the part and I think the stance looks ok too.

What do you guys think?

Cheers for now....... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg