Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Mercury Comet F/C

afx

Body stripped nicely, I'll also need to strip the bumpers & grilles, glass is decent.

DSCN6376

The frame stripped not so well, I ended up having to mechanically strip most of it with files and sandpaper. 

DSCN6378

The front axle was broken so I replaced the center section and fabricated mounting bracket for the hair pin rods which I will have to make.  Cleaned up the weight saving holes in the suspension brackets. 

DSCN6381

Edited by afx

With those Jo-Han Logghe Brothers chassis, a lot of parts interchange between all of the chassis: radius rods, axles, etc.  So if you pick up a built one for parts, it won't make a difference if it's a Ford, Mopar, AMC (more of these than any other), or Olds.  The Jo-Han version of this chassis is my favourite, so I snag those parts whenever I see them.  I had an unbuilt Comet kit but sold it, as I've got an unpainted body and all of the other parts needed to piece one together.

I got decent money for the unbuilt one, did even better with an unbuilt '71 Maverick funny car kit the year before.  I'll have to piece a body together for a Maverick, but I've got an entire unbuilt funny car chassis from a '70 kit which had a stock version.  I wish I could find some decent decals for the '70 kit though: all of the sheets I have are badly yellowed.

Yup, the stock Comet with the trim is the tough one to find, probably more so than the stock Maverick.  There was to have been a stock/Pro Stock '71 Maverick kit also, but it wasn't issued. Jo-Han issued a few '71 and '72 kits in two versions: stock/Pro Stock, and funny car only. 

Thanks Dann.  Haven't  had much bench time lately but did get the tin's hinge repaired.  You can see the broken hinge (painted black) in the center of this photo.

comet1

After reattaching it I added a piece of angle to reinforce it.

DSCN6386DSCN6388

Edited by afx

Thanks for tuning in gentlemen and for the comments.  With the coil-overs being so exposed on the finished model I decided to improve on the kit parts.  Made the rear set last night.

DSCN6394

Edited by afx