[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
PierreR89

Fixing a warped frame?

So i was looking in a old kit i have and noticed that both framerails for that truck has warped badly, they look like a C now and obviously that wont work when i want to build that kit.
What is the best way to make them straight again?
I have fixed a few others before but they were not that bad and could be fixed by just bending them slightly to the other way.

I understand some use hot water. If you can law flat and tape to the table.

Or make new ones from flat sheet. If there is a hobby shop take one with you see if the have C channel or H channel and trim off one side.

Posted (edited)

Okay, thanks i will try that first to se if it helps.
How do i do it with hot water? do i heat them up with it and then tape them to something flat and let them sit like that untill they have cooled off again?

I cant make new ones as there are no hobbyshops around where i live anymore, there was but internet shopping killed them..
Also this frame has the torsionbar supension molded in to them and i am not sure if i want to mess with that and trying to get everything lined up so it will go together like it is supposed to

Edited by PierreR89

Got photos?

Yeah,hold them in water for a min and slowly bend into shape and repeat.

My personal use is flood light try that. Hold the parts kinda close and slowly bend and repeat.

Sounds like a old Kw kit.

I use a jig, metal base with magnets to hold while gluing. I start at the center/middle crossmember and glue it or two in place. Then working my way out to the ends I use the magnets to force the frame past the bend and glue it. After it dries it usually relaxes back to where it should be. I don't force it really far past the point but far enough to bring it back straight again.. I build all my truck frames like that just so I know they are staying straight, helps a lot in the build of any truck...

:):):)

Now please let me start by saying that KERRY's method (mentioned above) is BY FAR the more "correct way" to keep it straight while drying, but...…  One of the guys that used to belong to our local hobby club used to heat the warped frame rails over the stove top, cool with water, glue together, then placed a brick :o on top to keep it straight while drying:huh:......  I can't be the one to criticize him.....  his old stuff always seemed to have a straight frame!!!!  ;)

DJ

Using heat is the best way to correct warped rails or any warpage problems . Hot water is by far the safest method but I do use a heat gun ( with extreme care and caution) on some really bad stuff . I also work on a tempered glass top on my workbench as a surface plate . Stubborn rails I use a fixture to clamp them square as DrKerry mentioned above!