Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 935/78 "Moby Dick"

Rusty92

Haven't worked on a car kit in a loooong time. So I am beginning the beautiful Tamiya 935/78. Haven't done much yet besides wash it, but want to start in the coming days. Simple kit with less than 30 parts I reckon. I love Porsche and the rich heritage, awesome livery, and mechanics as well. I hope maybe some of the great members here will be able to chime in and learn me a thing or two!

I'm also building this to display at my desk at my new job come Fall. So I hope I have it done by then:rolleyes: I also have the 935 1/12 scale by Tamiya, woo that thing is beautiful.

Feel free to post yours as well, I would appreciate seeing them. 

5cf9c454733da_BoxArt.jpg.9053d4feca68c95bf7f09df2986e8855.jpg

Thanks for the interest! Yes the stainless steel was weird, but whatever! 

I’ll be sure to keep my safety goggles on!

23 minutes ago, afx said:

Since you asked here is my 935-77 built from the Nitto kit. 

DSCN5173DSCN5175

Looks great. Do you have any tips for laying down the decals? Is the Nitto kit a rebox of another kit? I have an AMT/ERTL 935 kit that actually got me hooked first. It’s a little rough now that I look at it, one of my early builds. 

32 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Thanks for the interest! Yes the stainless steel was weird, but whatever! 

I’ll be sure to keep my safety goggles on!

Looks great. Do you have any tips for laying down the decals? Is the Nitto kit a rebox of another kit? I have an AMT/ERTL 935 kit that actually got me hooked first. It’s a little rough now that I look at it, one of my early builds. 

The AMT/Ertl and the Nitto/Entex are the same kit.

Image result for amt porsche 935image.jpeg.6f4f12b9a3e7311f89e50d0db506d7e6.jpegimage.jpeg.712420b718056c9b555938bd5ed5438c.jpeg

As for the decals, just be patient and take your time.  Don't try to do too many areas at once. My guess it should take a 2-3 sessions to install the decals. Use decal solvent to get them to conform to louvers and complex shapes.  I use this.

image.jpeg.01251e3668a840b8ec86d5d51f786c8f.jpeg

A hot moist towel pressed over the decals will also help them to conform.  Again the key is patients and letting the decals fully dry before you handle the body again to apply another area of decals.  Hope this helps, I'll be following.

Edited by afx

18 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Started work on the body, forgot to take photos. Not a lot of mold lines but I’ve been removing the few that are there. 

I want the white to really pop. Should I use a white primer?

I would.  However ponder this.

I went to a Sherwin Williams and asked they mix a paint to get a very very bright white for my desk.  What they did was add a touch of blue to it.  So if you are inclined, experiment with this.

Aren't we mixing the -77 with the -78?  The Tamiya box shown is the 935-78 and the others shown are the 935-77.  My photo is of the Tamiya 935-78 built back in the dark ages and the decals have yellowed because they were not clear coated.

Nice build JC on the 935-77.

20190610_120545.jpg.a1cf3689f2dd7d50f961d455074d52ff.jpg

50 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

I would.  However ponder this.

I went to a Sherwin Williams and asked they mix a paint to get a very very bright white for my desk.  What they did was add a touch of blue to it.  So if you are inclined, experiment with this.

I’ve heard of that too, actually! Thanks for bringing that up. I think a little would help it pop!

13 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Aren't we mixing the -77 with the -78?  The Tamiya box shown is the 935-78 and the others shown are the 935-77.  My photo is of the Tamiya 935-78 built back in the dark ages and the decals have yellowed because they were not clear coated.

Nice build JC on the 935-77.

20190610_120545.jpg.a1cf3689f2dd7d50f961d455074d52ff.jpg

Yep, you’re right. But I like the 76, 77, and 78 so it’s cool to post them here! 

Thanks for sharing yours, what a beautiful kit. Even with the decals.

1 hour ago, afx said:

Jacob, I'm passionate about Porsche.  If I'm overstepping my bounds please tell me to knock it off!

No issue with sharing the knowledge! I’m a big fan of road legal Porsches and late models especially. But lately I have been reading more about their amazing racing heritage.

Thanks for sharing! I’m trying to build an accurate model here, be it a little simplified or whatnot. I’m hoping Spot Models has their Renaissance photo etch parts in stock soon for this kit!

5 minutes ago, 935k3 said:

Her is mine. I tinted the rear window yellow(as on the real one) The rear ride height was lowered. Also pictured id the 1/20 935

f_Dcp6162m_78a4f31.jpg

Dscf8055.thumb.jpg.5239b80ae3dd041eb3a3c80859b4f1bd.jpg

I was wondering if you would show up! Thanks for joining. I did not know the rear window was tinted. Thanks for sharing. What did you use to tint it?

i just got the 1/20 935 the other day. I also got a 936 as well. Have you built the 1/12? That was my first Porsche kit and when I began modeling I knew I needed it.

The rear window is some kind of plastic that was yellow tinted. I airbrushed Tamiya acrylic clear yellow. I built the 1/12 years ago before digital cameras. It's a great kit especially for when it was made.I have new one to build and Tamiya's photo etch for it. The pics are from the Porsche museum and clearly show the yellow tint.

15196.jpg

Porsche_Moby_Dick_935-78-010-680x425.jpg