Model Cars Magazine Forum

Headliners in stockers

I've been using colored craft paper from Hobby Lobby or Micheals.  It's more for me, than winning at contests where the more work you do, the better chance you have.  Seems silly to spend so much money and time putting on photo-etch and machined aluminum parts on engines, while ignoring other parts of the car.

Many many moons ago I won second place in my class in a contest with an AMT 49 ford I upholstered the interior of with felt, floss and corduroy. I think I used felt on the headliner and floss on the floor, corduroy seats ( it was back around 1962 or so, I would have been 12 at that rate). Today they have micro floss, you might be able to work up a mohair look with some of that. Great for anyone who wants to try it but not me, done with those kinds of activity.

These days I paint my interiors, I really like Liquitex soft body artists acrylic paints with a little Liquitex satin varnish added to them for the interiors sheen. It just gives a good look imo and I do the headliner in the same color as the seats usually or just satin black or grey sometimes.

Edited by Dave G.

In the past I did devote more time to the headliner if it was going to be easily seen. The way I did it would require that all of the interior painting of window frames and such was completed. With the area for the headliner masked off and being sure none of the over spray would escape on to the body I would spray one of the Fabric colors from Model Master. I have used their Gray and the Tan and both give a very nice finish. You just have to remember that this paint can't be masked off in a later stage or you will lose the texture of the headliner.  

• MVC-001F.JPG

I often will do headliners in pickup trucks.  I have a box of old business cards with a nice ribbed texture to them.  I will cut a template using the paper doll theory of bending it in half and cutting it so both sides are symmetrical.  Then I will copy it to a fresh business card and paint that prior to gluing it in with white glue.  And yes I do save the templates. Guys have said nobody will notice, but I do it for me!    I always add sun visors and rear view mirrors also.

• MVC-003F.JPG

56 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I paint mine to match the interior also. I even made sun-visors for this '65 chevy from wire, an old gift card and masking tape. It depends on my mood how far I will go.

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG

Man does that look familiar ! I drove around, traveled towing a camper, plowed  snow for the town, hauled wood, hauled coal, rebuilt it twice but practically lived in one of those cabs for 30 years. Finally relegated it to my driveway snow plow and the cab caved in with the throttle stuck to the floor one day and buried the thing in a snow bank to kill it. Junked it the next summer but tons of memories attached to it. G20 4x4 step side. Unbelievable tank, go anywhere do anything except ride smooth. I put in a 350 with a mild towing cam to haul the camper, making many many trips to Northern Maine fly fishing in that truck.

Edited by Dave G.

I usually just paint them as well.

I don't see much point i getting too carried away with them.

They will probably never be seen, and most times, by the time the glass is installed, it doesn't look great in there anyway.

Occasionally I'll add a couple of rudimentary details, but that's all it really takes.

Steve

2v2EApEzrxwUbWP.jpg

Here's a random headliner tip: If you're doing a white interior, you might assume the headiner is white, but you might be wrong--run a google-image search and check. For just one example, the headliner on '69 Camaros with white interior is black. And I've run across a couple other examples too. 

6 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

Build convertibles and you won't have to be concerned.

But then you have to make your interiors REALLY nice. 

Besides, to me, half the beauty of a car is its roofline. I build very, very few convertibles--and most of those are Corvettes with the removable hard tops in place. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:34 AM, GaryR said:

What would you use for simulating mohair?

THANKS!

I ran across this while surfing. It comes in all sorts of colors but I have no idea if it is suitable or not? Has anyone tried any of it?

https://www.megahobby.com/products/mohair-brown-kens-kustom-fuzzi-fur.html

Edited by NOBLNG