Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Automotive Paints

Yesterday when I was at my Local Hobby Shop and they have signs all over the store saying that Testors is cancelling their automotive paint line.  I was told that this is something that he was told by his boss and he knew nothing more about it.  They have a sign over the automotive paint rack telling that this rack of paint is going away and it appears to be all enamel paints, and I use only the small jars for brush paint.  Their enamel sprays seem to lack pigment, so I stay away from those, instead favoring their lacquer paints for car bodies.  I just searched Testors website and found no mention of this. 

Does anyone have any concrete information about this and which paint they are going to eliminate?

The Testors website still shows the automotive lacquer line.  I'll call BS on what the hobby shop guy is claiming until I see or hear something from Testors themselves.  The shop might just be trying to reduce the number of paint lines that they want to stock.

I had searched their website yesterday and I couldn't find anything anywhere.  With all the changes in several paint companies that I have been hearing about, buyouts and such, this could be another one of those changes.  I'm still trying to find out something concrete.

Their website is terribly out of date, they are still showing all of the international figure and military paints listed.  (these were discontinued last year with confirmation from Testors).  

I would not be surprised in the least that this is true.  They seem to be constantly discontinuing colors.

Perhaps the distributor the hobby shop deals with is not carrying the line anymore and it's just a miscommunication (game of telephone?)

I would think we would have heard something. If anything, I want them to expand their lacquer line. Tamiya continues to add paints the theirs.

I stopped at my local hobby store the other day and the owner told me that Testors has discontinued Metalizers in spray cans. He said the jars will still be available, but I'm not real crazy about getting the airbrush out to paint a single intake manifold.

50 minutes ago, Fish_65 said:

I stopped at my local hobby store the other day and the owner told me that Testors has discontinued Metalizers in spray cans. He said the jars will still be available, but I'm not real crazy about getting the airbrush out to paint a single intake manifold.

For one or two small items, I usually just brush paint them with the metalizer.  Produces the same effect.

1 hour ago, Fish_65 said:

Well, I may have to see if my LHS can still get some for me before it's gone, especially the magnesium.

I, for one, having been having issues with Testors spray cans for some time (the past year or so). It is hit or miss if I will get one that refuses to mix and/or spray properly. I get a lot of sputtering and spitting from new cans. I stopped using them and if I cannot get the color I am looking for from Tamiya, I will get bottles from MCW and airbrush them.

1 hour ago, Fish_65 said:

I brush paint the metalizers all time, for small parts, it works fine, like a intake manifold, yes, they are much better when A/B, I agree fully with you.

Okay guys, we are getting off track here!  This doesn't present me with any concrete evidence of whether Testors is doing away with their automtive paints or not and whether it is enamel or lacquer base.  

7 hours ago, Xingu said:

I, for one, having been having issues with Testors spray cans for some time (the past year or so). It is hit or miss if I will get one that refuses to mix and/or spray properly. I get a lot of sputtering and spitting from new cans. I stopped using them and if I cannot get the color I am looking for from Tamiya, I will get bottles from MCW and airbrush them.

I quit using Testors not too long after ruining a '66 GTO convertible and '67 Corvette coupe way back then.  Too much sputtering even back then.

1 hour ago, bluenote said:

I emailed testors/rustoleum.  I will let everyone know what their response is when I hear back

I too reached out to my contact I have there and ask them to give me a list of all the lines they are no longer producing.

Edited by martinfan5

4 hours ago, mrmike said:

Okay guys, we are getting off track here!  This doesn't present me with any concrete evidence of whether Testors is doing away with their automtive paints or not and whether it is enamel or lacquer base.  

Good point.  Is it all Testors, of just the actual Testor's brand?

Honestly it wouldn't matter to me if Testors does get rid of their paints because I have slowly been phasing their colors out for years with Tamiya paints for my brush painting needs. As for spray paints, I would miss some of those like the Custom Lacquer line such as the GM, Ford, and Mopar colors, but even those I only use for specific projects. Anything I don't want a specific color I use Duplicolor automotive paints on and if that specific color is available in Duplicolor's line I'll buy the Duplicolor over Testors.  

13 hours ago, mrmike said:

It would not make sense with Tamiya paints. I wouldn't be surprised in a way as much problems as they have been having but the one coat line has been really doing well for them...

If it's only their rattle cans being discontinued they won't be missed,  I never really cared for them. I do how ever find their acrylic paints awesome for air brushing and brush painting. Also like their enamels for the custom colour range, I simply drain off the oil, and thin them with acetone and run them through my AB. 

• Xingu locked this topic