Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Automotive Paints

16 hours ago, highway said:

Honestly it wouldn't matter to me if Testors does get rid of their paints because I have slowly been phasing their colors out for years with Tamiya paints for my brush painting needs. As for spray paints, I would miss some of those like the Custom Lacquer line such as the GM, Ford, and Mopar colors, but even those I only use for specific projects. Anything I don't want a specific color I use Duplicolor automotive paints on and if that specific color is available in Duplicolor's line I'll buy the Duplicolor over Testors.  

I have to agree with this ,  the only Testors/MM lines I use are the Metalizer lines in the jars, now, it would be a giant kick to the balls if they dropped that entire line instead of just the cans, the loss of the sprays doenst bother me, I either air brush or hand brush it on.   I stopped using the Auto Lacquer line years ago, I no longer have need it, ive built all the subjects I would using that paint before I got a A/B. 

I know for many though it will be a loss.

Edited by martinfan5

I'm hoping the lacquers get to stick around, the One Coat lacquers always sold well for the kids doing Pinewood Derby cars and I've found that the 2 Stage Auto Lacquers make great lexan body paints too and used them many times on my R/C cars and trucks.

10 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I have to agree with this ,  the only Testors/MM lines I use are the Metalizer lines in the jars, now, it would be a giant kick to the balls if they dropped that entire line instead of just the cans, the loss of the sprays doenst bother me, I either air brush or hand brush it on.   I stopped using the Auto Lacquer line years ago, I no longer have need it, ive built all the subjects I would using that paint before I got a A/B. 

I know for many though it will be a loss.

I'm not even that big on the Metalizer line, but that is only because I know while some including a close friend of mine have great success with brush painting the Metalizers in the bottles, I never could brush paint it well. I do like the Metalizers through an airbrush though for larger projects like this 1/32nd scale tanker trailer that the main body is sprayed with Metalizer for the main tank body and a few different shades of Alclad aluminums for some of the other parts for some visual difference. 

20160808_015236.thumb.jpg.3b65910129595a5f01206137c33798c1.jpg

3 hours ago, highway said:

I'm not even that big on the Metalizer line, but that is only because I know while some including a close friend of mine have great success with brush painting the Metalizers in the bottles, I never could brush paint it well. I do like the Metalizers through an airbrush though for larger projects like this 1/32nd scale tanker trailer that the main body is sprayed with Metalizer for the main tank body and a few different shades of Alclad aluminums for some of the other parts for some visual difference. 

20160808_015236.thumb.jpg.3b65910129595a5f01206137c33798c1.jpg

I only brush it for really small things,  but yeah it needs to be A/B for sure, I love the line.

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I only brush it for really small things,  but yeah it needs to be A/B for sure, I love the line.

Totally agree.  Only for small parts, otherwise AB or shaker can.  Even Alclad can be brushed for small parts (excluding chrome)

At NNL East I heard from a very well respected paint finishing expert that there would be news sooner than later about Testors dropping a number of paint lines.  Nothing more specific than that.  And I do not know how he got his info. 

I still used Testors aerosols myself, but mostly the lacquers.  Probably about a 50/50 mix between Testors and Tamiya sprays these days. 

Personally I think it would be a big loss to lose these Testors product lines.    TIM 

IMHO Tamiya would add more "looks like" 50s 60s 70s car colors to their rattle can line, I wouldn't miss the Testor's auto lacquers too much. The Tamiya goes on SOOOO much nicer. I hardly want to drag out the airbrush if Tamiya has the right color in a rattle can.

Need to get a Revell 69 Boss 302 before my Testor's Acapulco Blue vomits its guts in my cabinet.

Testors missed the mark with their auto lacquers. The clear coat is great but most of the metallic colors do not have a good in scale look save for maybe the GTS Blue Pearl color.  I absolutely lose testors metalizer paints though and hope they stick around.

Well, once again this thread has gone off the rails.  I was looking for concrete evidence of Testors cancelling a paint line and all I got was conjecture and people favorites.  While I do appreciate everyones responces, what has been posted doesn't give me the information I was looking for or information that leads me to a conclusion.      

4 hours ago, mrmike said:

Well, once again this thread has gone off the rails.  I was looking for concrete evidence of Testors cancelling a paint line and all I got was conjecture and people favorites.  While I do appreciate everyones responces, what has been posted doesn't give me the information I was looking for or information that leads me to a conclusion.      

In all fairness, unless Testors releases a statement, all you're going to get is conjecture. 

I emailed Testors last week and have yet to receive a response.  I'll post here if they do reply.  That's the only concrete answer you'll get, is from Testors directly.

Exactly!  If you don't know the answer, why answer the question with something that doesn't?  This is something that I have known for a long time.  The more people on a page or forum will answer any question with any sort of answer that doesn't apply to the question asked.      

6 hours ago, mrmike said:

Exactly!  If you don't know the answer, why answer the question with something that doesn't?  This is something that I have known for a long time.  The more people on a page or forum will answer any question with any sort of answer that doesn't apply to the question asked.      

Sadly, it is the way of forums and keyboard warriors having to chime in on every subject as self appointed "experts". 

Not aware of anyone from Testors being a forum member so likely not going to get a true insider's word, although there are a few here who would gladly claim "to know someone on the inside who told me......"

A quick Google search revealed no less than 5 other forums discussing this subject as far back as almost 2 years ago.

Testors has a tech line - 800-837-8677 and is available 7 AM- 6 PM CDT Monday - Friday.  I suggest calling them in the morning and getting an answer from the manufacturer.

Edited by mikemodeler

Thank you Mike!  I kind of expected less activity on this thread, but that wasn't the case.  I would call Testors, but I don't want to jinx my "war" with them.  I found a can of paint stuck to the bottom my paint drawer with zero propellant in it.  I have a case number for my email and I (hopefully) will get a response from them soon.  I have had no problems with any other of my paint cans from other manufacturers that reside in my paint drawers.

Sometimes the answers to our questions are found elsewhere. As you discovered in this thread, 90% of the responses had nothing to do with your question, as is the case most of the time. I would go ahead and call Testors, I doubt it would jinx your war and you might be surprised at their response!

7 hours ago, slusher said:

From what I learned Testors has no information that any paint is being cancelled from the person I talked with....

So maybe the hobby shop employee had misinformation and caused a stir unnecessarily? Wouldn't be the first time.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, mrmike said:

I had searched their website yesterday and I couldn't find anything anywhere.  With all the changes in several paint companies that I have been hearing about, buyouts and such, this could be another one of those changes.  I'm still trying to find out something concrete.

I went back to reread the thread. The post I quoted is where it started to go off track. 5th or 6th post in.

Have to be careful about what you post, it gives others the opportunity to continue with the off-topic posts.

Here's the answer as to what Testors is actually discontinuing. From Kit Maker Network, dated Wednesday, May 29, 2019:

The End - Model Masters Military & Figure Enamels

The product line that has been discontinued is the Model Masters International Military & Figure Enamels. This was due to a lack of support in the marketplace. (Emphasis added.) If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Aztek airbrushes are also on the chopping block.

Honestly, youse guys need to look past auto modeling sites to get information. :rolleyes:

Edited by SfanGoch

11 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Michael, I have given up trying to find an answer.  Lock or delete this thread, please.

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Our Model Masters product line is not being discontinued but some of the colors and options are also available in a different product line through Testor's. We have included a list of some of the colors that were discontinued and also the cross reference if they are currently available for purchase. The stores are notified if a certain color or product type are going to be discontinued as well so the best option is to check with the stores if they are notified before our product support team is. Attached is a list of some of the products for your reference.

Thank you for your interest in Rustoleum products. We hope this information was helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if any additional assistance is needed.

Regards,

Jim H

image.thumb.png.d43c57ce74fff5033174651a65d8e9d8.png

• Xingu locked this topic