Model Cars Magazine Forum

SD Rat Roaster

The wheels in the SD Rat Roaster kit are nice.  I removed the chrome.  That yellowish  layer is harder to remove that it used to.  This kit has a lot of other nice parts too.  I really like some of the engine parts and the hood with those chrome things.  Has a nice fuel tank too.

Rat Roaster wheel 1.JPG

Edited by Greg Wann

It is the Stacey David 32 Rat Roaster by Revell.  I take a piece of cheap food storage bag and force clay in to fill in the back of the wheel and set it on clay.  Then I boxed it in and poured a small amount of silicone in and vacuumed the air out of the silicone so as no tiny bubbles might form in the wheels detail.

Rat Roaster wheel 2.JPG

Rat Roaster wheel 3.JPG

Rat Roaster wheel 4.JPG

Edited by Greg Wann

Hey Greg, I found at least two things that work on the yellow coating. First is 91% rubbing alcohol which softens it up or makes it brittle enough to pick off the yellow with a pin. The second is soaking it in the original Westley's Bleche-Wite, you can find some at estate sales. I made these wheels for my 30 Model A.

IMG_1013.JPG

14 hours ago, ScottH454 said:

Hey Greg, I found at least two things that work on the yellow coating. First is 91% rubbing alcohol which softens it up or makes it brittle enough to pick off the yellow with a pin. The second is soaking it in the original Westley's Bleche-Wite, you can find some at estate sales. I made these wheels for my 30 Model A.

IMG_1013.JPG

Thanks Scott.  Someone asked about the windshield frame.  It does look nice.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:26 AM, Greg Wann said:

The wheels in the SD Rat Roaster kit are nice.  I removed the chrome.  That yellowish  layer is harder to remove that it used to.

You didn't say what you used to remove the chrome. I've always had good results, even with the lacquer underlayer, with Castrol Super Clean.

I mostly sell by word of mouth and posting photos of projects on forums.  I would like a site to sell parts on.  I don't know how to do that.  I am working to get my shop in better shape and getting some amenities installed so that work will be easier.  If I were a billionaire, I could book flights and just hand deliver parts to customers.  That would be a different way to see the world.  Then I could see how customers live in Sweden, Germany, Australia, etc. where I have sent my parts to.  I get told I undervalue what I do and how I do it.  Anyway, I drive to the PO down the street in Youngtown and pay the price to mail parts.

15 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

I mostly sell by word of mouth and posting photos of projects on forums.  I would like a site to sell parts on.  I don't know how to do that.  I am working to get my shop in better shape and getting some amenities installed so that work will be easier.  If I were a billionaire, I could book flights and just hand deliver parts to customers.  That would be a different way to see the world.  Then I could see how customers live in Sweden, Germany, Australia, etc. where I have sent my parts to.  I get told I undervalue what I do and how I do it.  Anyway, I drive to the PO down the street in Youngtown and pay the price to mail parts.

https://www.wix.com/freesitebuilder/hiker-create?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=216486820^10537495660&experiment_id=wix website builder^e^48420866260^1t4&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgf_3zKfk4gIVAqvsCh1VdADaEAAYBCAAEgIYBvD_BwE

^^ a (relatively) easy way to DIY a website

8 hours ago, racer X said:

Greg do you plan to cast and sell the wheels,tank and engine parts from the SD kit? I would definitely be interested in getting these parts. I missed out on buying one of these kits when they first came out.

I plan to do these parts and the windshield frame too.

7 hours ago, gman said:

They are a nice, period-looking set of big & littles that the builders of early Ford hot rods would probably be willing to pay up for.

I can most likely do them.  I will give them a look.  I presume they are not a common tire?

2 minutes ago, Greg Wann said:

I can most likely do them.  I will give them a look.  I presume they are not a common tire?

No, this is the only kit they have been available in, to my knowledge. The fronts would prove especially useful to most hot rodders, so you may want to offer them separately from the rears

WOW!! OK....I will give them a look, been busy.  I am considering doing the hood and the chrome inserts and the windshield frame.  Perhaps the body itself is good too.  There seems to be a lot of good parts.  There is another thread about frames, what is this part like compared to other kit parts?

Edited by Greg Wann

The Engine would probably be a good one to cast SBC, You can't go wrong, plus a modern transmission attached. I  personally don't like the blower setup. I  switched mine to a 3 Duece  intake. The headers are nice, but need a lot of cleanup IMHO.

2 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

WOW!! OK....I will give them a look, been busy.  I am considering doing the hood and the chrome inserts and the windshield frame.  Perhaps the body itself is good too.  There seems to be a lot of good parts.  There is another thread about frames, what is this part like compared to other kit parts?

IIRC, the Rat Roaster frame has a couple of notches where the exhaust goes underneath from the over the frame headers to the full exhaust system. Other than that I think it is the same as the rest of the Revell deuce line.