Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302

mrmike

• 5 months later...

I'm back on the '69 Boss 302.  Instead of using the kit distrutor, I dug through my parts box and found another distributor and drilled it out.  I cut 4 light blue wires at 4 inches and inserted them into the distributor and let it dry overnight.  This morning, I routed the wires to their appropriate holes.  In the process of wiring the engine, I destroyed the fan and belt assembly, so I went back into the parts box and found another fan and belt assembly.  Now I can paint the transmission and touchup the engine.  I found two sinkmarks in the mufflers on the exhaust system.  I filled those with Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty.

More Boss 302 to come...

Boss30219.JPG

Boss30220.JPG

Boss30221.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Rex!  There are chrome valve covers in the kit, but I think those go to the 428 big block that is also in the kit.  Don't forget that this kit is shared with the '69 Mach I Cobra Jet kit as well.  

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Rex!  There are chrome valve covers in the kit, but I think those go to the 428 big block that is also in the kit.  Don't forget that this kit is shared with the '69 Mach I Cobra Jet kit as well.  

The Boss had Cleveland type valve covers which are pretty unique.

IMG_7259.PNG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I guess I should not be surprised.

My research included pictures of a Boss 302 engine with painted valve covers, so that's where I went with it.  Now I see pictures of Boss 302 engines with chrome valve covers.  Oh well...

9 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I have some Mustangs to build. Following yours to learn how they are done.

I appreciate you following along, Bill!  Feel free to research the particular year Mustang that you are building for additional details.   

The Mustang Boss 302 is coming along!  The interior is partially done and the chassis has been completed.  I mocked the wheels and tires after I had attached the tires to a 1/2 socket and ran it with my cordless drill and a sanding stick to rough up the tire surface.  The Boss 302 is in the chassis and mostly complete.  The instructions didn't call for it, but it is in the kit, so I added the Shelby roll bar to the interior.

More Boss 302 to come...

Boss30222.JPG

Boss30223.JPG

Boss30224.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Tom!  My next work on the Boss 302 is to paint the Magnum 500 wheels.  Something I hate doing, getting into those small slots.  I have to get out my magnifier, so I can try to do a decent job on them.

Edited by mrmike

One of the things that I hate doing on model cars is painting Magnum 500 wheels since I usually make a mess out of them.  Using my magnifier and a steady hand, the wheels were painted, decaled and installed on the chassis.  While I was doing this, the engine popped out of the chassis and I had to reinstall it.

More Boss 302 to come...

Boss30228.JPG

Boss30229.JPG

Boss30230.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 10:16 AM, mrmike said:

I painted the interior bucket this morning with Rust-Oleum Painters Choice Semi Gloss Black. 

Here's a trick I learned, regarding realistic vinyl painting. First, spray paint the seating area ( in this case ) Flat Black, right out of the spray can. After that dries, give the flat black a topcoat of Gloss Clear, and let it dry. What you get, is a semi-gloss finish which is surprisingly realistic to what black vinyl looks like, now, go paint the carpet flat black again lightly with a brush to remove the sheen look from the carpet.

7 hours ago, spike morelli said:

Here's a trick I learned, regarding realistic vinyl painting. First, spray paint the seating area ( in this case ) Flat Black, right out of the spray can. After that dries, give the flat black a topcoat of Gloss Clear, and let it dry. What you get, is a semi-gloss finish which is surprisingly realistic to what black vinyl looks like, now, go paint the carpet flat black again lightly with a brush to remove the sheen look from the carpet.

Thanks for the tip!  I have heard of that trick some time ago.  I prefer to paint my interiors with Semi Gloss paints and paint over the floors with flat black.  If I use embossing powder for carpet, I use clear or black embossing powder (depending upon what color interior I want) and paint over it with flat black paint.  This Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black paint is a tad bit glossy.  This Boss 302 was originally for the Classic Plastic Model Club Exhibition 'Club Challenge' and I shelved it in favor of another model.  I am building it now to get it off the bench.

• 3 months later...

I picked up a bottle of 91% Alcohol at the drug store and poured some into a container and put the Mustang hood in it.  After a few days, I scrapped the edge of it with a pair of tweezers and the paint run was starting to come off.  The rest of the paint should be easy to come off later.  A mockup to show you where I am at with this build.

More Boss 302 to come...

Boss30234.JPG

Boss30235.JPG

Boss30236.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, Mark IV said:

The round depressions in the "C" pillar should be filled in, the Mach 1 has a round emblem there that Shinoda had deleted on the Boss 302.

Rick, kinda of late for that now, don't you think?  The body has been painted and partially BMF'd, so filling those in is out of the question unless I want to start all over painting and BMFing again.  I should have noticed those before, but I didn't.

5 hours ago, mrmike said:

.... Maybe the body was revised?

You could be right Mike  - I have the same kit you started with (#85-4313), which I purchased within last 2 months, and guess what? No indent on the C-pillars.