Model Cars Magazine Forum

86 Monte Carlo lowrider hopper

geetee66

I'm going to build this as a hopper, because while I was watching YouTube for lowrider research, I became amazed at the pounding these cars get, especially the hoppers. I really like it when the car 'statues' and balances on its rear bumper.

I'll paint this with nail polish and rattle cans and also use a few decals.

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3474.JPG

I had to use a better rear axle than the one in the kit, which was hollow on the top and looks rubbish. I added a reinforcement plate.

I had to play about with the control arm positions and create a 4-link set-up. Longer arms prevent the wheelbase from changing too much. Even though I'll fix this in an extended position, I made sure everything lined up in the lowered position, too.

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

Love the Low Ridder paint work. I have seen You Tube coverage of the Hopper competition. After watching some of these cars I have to wonder if they would ever be useable for anything else after that. They are bound to have some rattles and squeaks after that. 

2 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Very impressive! Once you apply the nail art, is it sealed somehow before you cover it with tape? 

Thanks!

yeah, you've gotta seal it. Either clear or candy, depending on how the pattern is going.

Although, subsequent tape layers are reduced in tackiness, by laying the tape on my inner forearm, before applying it to the model. This helps prevent lifting of the tape underneath when I remove top layers.

This is super, love these paint jobs, interesting pattern.  I have a ton of that nail transfer stuff too. I thin the glue with ammonia and shoot it through my AB. Really looking forward to see how this turns out ?. This paint job never got finished. 

IMG_6015.PNG

7 hours ago, Rider said:

This is super, love these paint jobs, interesting pattern.  I have a ton of that nail transfer stuff too. I thin the glue with ammonia and shoot it through my AB. Really looking forward to see how this turns out ?. This paint job never got finished. 

IMG_6015.PNG

Wow! I love it! Definitely worth finishing ?

I'm a muscle car guy deep inside, but years ago I was at a show that also had low-riders/hoppers and had a chance look over these cars -in detail and discovered a new respect for time invested in these machines. Your model replicates the exact kind of work and detail I remember seeing. Very nice!

I didn't like the blue fades on the sides, so I covered them with some blue/purple.

that looked too plain, so I masked it with some self adhesive foil border pattern for card making. Some chrome pink was shot over this. 

Just waiting for some purple candy to arrive in the mail and I can finish it off.

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

I liked the variation in colour on the different panels, but it was always my intention to use purple candy. The design feels a bit more cohesive now. I think it looks classy, too. I hope you agree. He candy is a bit matt, so I reckon the patterns will stand out more after clearcoat.

i left some fine line tape on before the candy, to make it pop a bit more

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

Very nice work Geoff! I think you are right. The candy pulled it all together in a nice package. I am doing a bit more research on how to do some of this with the plans to try my hand at it again. Thanks for the step- by- step. Any advice on how you get the curves of the tape, like on your hood, even on each side? I seem to get one side to look like I want and then can't get the other side to match without a lot of hassle.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr