Model Cars Magazine Forum

86 Monte Carlo lowrider hopper

geetee66

I like the Purple Candy top coat. At first I wasn't sure since it sort of covered so much of the great art work you had already done. The more I look at it all of the previous work seems very subtle now.   

On 20/06/2019 at 9:47 PM, Modlbldr said:

Very nice work Geoff! I think you are right. The candy pulled it all together in a nice package. I am doing a bit more research on how to do some of this with the plans to try my hand at it again. Thanks for the step- by- step. Any advice on how you get the curves of the tape, like on your hood, even on each side? I seem to get one side to look like I want and then can't get the other side to match without a lot of hassle.

Later-

Thanks for the nice comments. I know this sort of thing isn't to everyone's taste!

Getting the symmetry right can be tricky. I probably pull up and re-position the tape half a dozen times before I get it looking where I want it. I try to use body lines and edges as reference points to gauge distances. For bends and curves, use a longer piece of tape than you actually need and sweep it in an arc, while pressing the tape down where you want it. Even Tamiya flexible tape doesn't like tight radius curves. It puckers and lifts, so I use 3M blue tape, cut to 1mm strips. Then block out whichever side of the line, if you need to, with bits of wider tape.

I stick used tape to the edge of my bench to tear up into bits for masking around a curve.

21 hours ago, espo said:

I like the Purple Candy top coat. At first I wasn't sure since it sort of covered so much of the great art work you had already done. The more I look at it all of the previous work seems very subtle now.   

Thanks Espo 

yeah, at first I thought I'd ruined it. But the purple went on a bit velvety and I figured the clear would sort it out and bring the patterns out. True.. I lost some colour. But it's a nice effect, with parts of the design being more visible from certain directions.

I'm glad I left some lines silver. They really pop in the sun ?

IMG_3570.JPG

IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

Thanks for the reply Guy. I really like what you are doing and it encourages me to keep at it. I am going to try a simple, early 60's lowrider scheme on my 63 Galaxie. I am hoping that life slows down a bit and that I can finish my 55 Cameo in the next few weeks so I can get  started on the paint work on the Galaxie. It has just the right look for what I have in mind.

http://IMG_20190621_084507470.jpg

Later-

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2019 at 9:03 PM, CabDriver said:

Looking great Guy!  What was the base color?  I like that silver a lot!

I think it was VW reflex silver that I used for the base colour. I used a rattle can for that stage of the paint.

The rest is cheap nail polish. £2 a bottle.! Bargain!

• 10 months later...