Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Exotics_Builder

FPP Models 1/24 Ferrari 250 GT Bertone

Recommended Posts

As I was asked, I took some time to do a quick review of this model kit from Fernando Pinto.  He is a renowned model kit caster and supplier of hand laced wire wheels (a set of which is included in the kit).

The kit represents a one-off rendition based on a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta.  It was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro and built by Carrozzeria Bertone. Since its debut in 1962, this magnificent and utterly unique car has been acclaimed as both a definitive example of Italian automotive design and a coachbuilt Ferrari of exceptional beauty and significance.  The real car has an interesting color scheme, body in Blu Notte Metallizzato (basically dark blue metallic) with burgundy leather upholstery.

1962-ferrari-250-gt-swb-b-14_1600x0w.jpg

1962-ferrari-250-gt-swb-b_1600x0w.jpg

The body is thickly cast, like other casters (including MFH), but reflects the flow and style of the actual car.  A minor amount of flash will need attention.  However, the panel and door lines are deeper than some other casters, needing less scribing work.

The interior appears to capture the diamond pattern and seat pleating.  The instrument panel has a tad of flash to clean up.  Rondels for the instrument gauges on included on the PE fret.  But there are no decals in the kit I received.  So, I will have to go to the parts box for gauge faces.  Not a big deal, just wanted to mention.

A minor disappointment, for me, is that an engine is included, but the hood is molded closed.  Opening it up would not be relatively straightforward as the wheel well tops are molded in with hood.  I could razor saw them loose and scribe the hood out.  But, as a good friend noted, the car stands on it sleek design and provenance.  The engine is a stock V12 Colombo.  That said, I feel the engine/drive train is a major component of any car and like to detail/display when I can.

I won’t be building this for a while as my “shop” is barely in shape to repair kits damaged in the move.  Then, there is the stack of started kits I should get back to.  But we all know how the craving to get at a specific kit and work can attack us when we least expect.  Below are some photos of the contents.

SAM_3164.JPG.0c90685bef22a6a4b2fbb1983416fd9d.JPGSAM_3163.JPG.dd7089b23b88f2630bc218d6e6ca028e.JPGSAM_3162.JPG.f25742596e74a3ce6deeaa94b62b247d.JPGSAM_3161.JPG.8e8bb131cba6952ea43e14226db32701.JPGSAM_3160.JPG.103e4e36ece09201ca0aced0c9e4c4b3.JPGSAM_3159.JPG.aa6ab6cbeac04ca21bf967c0741463cd.JPGSAM_3158.JPG.24f514dcde26fb7668ffab42567df691.JPGSAM_3157.JPG.cc7b0530b0f1f24ade3595d9ef813bd6.JPGSAM_3155.JPG.db15c6188a27a9a2500825a791e7d6f6.JPGSAM_3169.JPG.58a10c771827fdf05422fc837d00e50a.JPGSAM_3168.JPG.49724a9c6b849aa805c6b24ec13932db.JPGSAM_3167.JPG.7fd71386cfdba9df293cdcb3e122fdd7.JPGSAM_3166.JPG.62cb206a44192cd6b40d0f06a359ee24.JPGSAM_3165.JPG.6e68edc8894086a700a1b68e5a536619.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the review and the photos Gerry.  Is that engine and transmission a one piece casting?  Best wishes on the build when you get to that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Potential for a spectacular model right there. The body shell appears to have some minor symmetry issues, but the "feel" of the car is definitely there. Thanks.  :D

Funny how many automotive "experts" criticized Giugiaro's hard-edged designs of the '70s-'80s, like the VW Golf (Rabbit), DeLorean, and Lotus Esprit, and stupidly parroted the "reason" for said design style being his inability to draw perspective. Ignorance has a way of taking on a life of its own. His other designs, this one especially, show his real talent...and put paid to the nay-saying fools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this review, and close-up pictures.  If this was something I *really* wanted, would add to my collection.  He has another subject I will get when he gets around to it.  I'm on the same page regarding priorities, been thinking about dredging up a WIP.  Again, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review, Gary.  Also thanks for the reference photos of the real car.  I've been on the fence about buying this kit, but the car is such a stunner, I may go ahead and add this one to my pile of kits, which already contains a few FPP's.

You've mentioned the odd choice of including a complete engine in a kit with a closed hood and the lack of dashboard details.  Also, the brushed aluminum pe fret contains windshield and rear window frames when they're already molded in the body.  On the other hand, the side window frames use the pe parts in channels in the body.

On the plus side, the already nice wire wheels look even better than usual.  Also the chrome bumpers and lights are a nice addition and look really nicely done.  

Thanks again for the info. 

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gluebomber said:

Thanks for the review, Gary.  Also thanks for the reference photos of the real car.  I've been on the fence about buying this kit, but the car is such a stunner, I may go ahead and add this one to my pile of kits, which already contains a few FPP's.

You've mentioned the odd choice of including a complete engine in a kit with a closed hood and the lack of dashboard details.  Also, the brushed aluminum pe fret contains windshield and rear window frames when they're already molded in the body.  On the other hand, the side window frames use the pe parts in channels in the body.

On the plus side, the already nice wire wheels look even better than usual.  Also the chrome bumpers and lights are a nice addition and look really nicely done.  

Thanks again for the info. 

  

 

The fret gives options.  I am more of a BMF fan, even though it can be a pain.  I THINK the engine include is because he has Colombo V12's in other castings and he may have considered this easier than an bottom insert or single casting chassis.  ust my guess.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Thank you for the review and the photos Gerry.  Is that engine and transmission a one piece casting?  Best wishes on the build when you get to that point.

Yes, it is one piece for the block, heads, valve covers and tranny.

53 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Wow. Potential for a spectacular model right there. The body shell appears to have some minor symmetry issues, but the "feel" of the car is definitely there. Thanks.  :D

Funny how many automotive "experts" criticized Giugiaro's hard-edged designs of the '70s-'80s, like the VW Golf (Rabbit), DeLorean, and Lotus Esprit, and stupidly parroted the "reason" for said design style being his inability to draw perspective. Ignorance has a way of taking on a life of its own. His other designs, this one especially, show his real talent...and put paid to the nay-saying fools.

Some of the symmetry might be parallax due to close shoot from a point and shoot camera.  In general it looks pretty darn good.  If it turns out there are symmetry issues, they should be easy to correct.  I'll find out when I get to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Wow. Potential for a spectacular model right there. The body shell appears to have some minor symmetry issues, but the "feel" of the car is definitely there. Thanks.  :D

Funny how many automotive "experts" criticized Giugiaro's hard-edged designs of the '70s-'80s, like the VW Golf (Rabbit), DeLorean, and Lotus Esprit, and stupidly parroted the "reason" for said design style being his inability to draw perspective. Ignorance has a way of taking on a life of its own. His other designs, this one especially, show his real talent...and put paid to the nay-saying fools.

Huh, I guess Gandini couldn't draw perspective either.

If these geniuses looked out their field, and took a look at what was going on with art, architecture, and design in general at the time, it's not that hard to see where all those corners came from.

Automotive styling goes through fashions just like every other creative field, and stylists don't work in a vacuum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.6.2019 at 11:15 PM, Gluebomber said:

Thanks for the review, Gary.  Also thanks for the reference photos of the real car.  I've been on the fence about buying this kit, but the car is such a stunner, I may go ahead and add this one to my pile of kits, which already contains a few FPP's.

You've mentioned the odd choice of including a complete engine in a kit with a closed hood and the lack of dashboard details.  Also, the brushed aluminum pe fret contains windshield and rear window frames when they're already molded in the body.  On the other hand, the side window frames use the pe parts in channels in the body.

On the plus side, the already nice wire wheels look even better than usual.  Also the chrome bumpers and lights are a nice addition and look really nicely done.  

Thanks again for the info. 

  

 

x 2 - absolutely!

One question, Gary: are the bumpers already chromed? Tom Tanner in the Ferrari chat forum says yes but 2 weeks ago I watched one on ebay and the pics showed NOT a single chromed part:

no headlight buckets and no bumpers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for showing us what's in this kit Gerry! I see this model turn up on my eBay feed every so often. I've bought wire wheels from Fernando a couple times and they are GREAT! Each time I see this kit I say to myself-----"Should I or shouldn't I"?

As far as the inner fenders.............would something out of a junk Italeri or Esci kit work since they pretty much had the same "bones"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Thanks for showing us what's in this kit Gerry! I see this model turn up on my eBay feed every so often. I've bought wire wheels from Fernando a couple times and they are GREAT! Each time I see this kit I say to myself-----"Should I or shouldn't I"?

As far as the inner fenders.............would something out of a junk Italeri or Esci kit work since they pretty much had the same "bones"?

Likely would as it is a 250.  But some body "shaving" to reduce thickness would also likely be necessary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Gerry that looks like an interesting kit and should look just awesome when built. While not really my "cup of tea." I would very much appreciate seeing one of those kits built someday. Thanks for the review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of this car's looks, but it sure is a unique automobile.

I noticed that Fernando is a multi-talented person - he not only made the kit, he also painted the artwork on the box!  Cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, peteski said:

I'm not a fan of this car's looks, but it sure is a unique automobile.

I noticed that Fernando is a multi-talented person - he not only made the kit, he also painted the artwork on the box!  Cool!

The car is unique, which is why I decided to drop the hammer.  But, have more interest in the ALpha 812 Superfast, GTC4Lusso and 488 Pista first.  The 812 will be on its way to me when I get back home in 3 weeks.  Hoping the GTC4Lusso is ready and perhaps they'll come together.  Not sure if I can get (or want to spend the energy) the 812 to fit on the Fujimi F12 chassis.  Would be nice to do an engine (the soul of the auto).  But, would have to decide what to do about the 4 wheel steering apparatus the car has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 2:36 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

A minor disappointment, for me, is that an engine is included, but the hood is molded closed.  Opening it up would not be relatively straightforward as the wheel well tops are molded in with hood.  I could razor saw them loose and scribe the hood out.  But, as a good friend noted, the car stands on it sleek design and provenance.  The engine is a stock V12 Colombo.  That said, I feel the engine/drive train is a major component of any car and like to detail/display when I can.

Check out these photos.  I can't really see any wheel wells or shock towers and in fact the shocks seem exposed.  A very cool looking engine bay.

What do you think?

 

Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-Bertone-Berlinetta-57486.jpg

Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-Bertone-Berlinetta-57547.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True.  But the wheel wells go straight up and need addressing.  And, there also is potential hood thickness to deal with as well.  I will look at more closely when I get back home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

True.  But the wheel wells go straight up and need addressing.  And, there also is potential hood thickness to deal with as well.  I will look at more closely when I get back home

I see your point about the hood thickness.  Perhaps make your own hood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said, I'll have to "grok" it when I get back home at the end of the month.  I have a 250 chassis/engine bay from the old AMT kit that I was keeping for just such an occasion.  I'll need to lay it out and see where it goes.  Will post more when I get there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I have a 250 chassis/engine bay from the old AMT kit that I was keeping for just such an occasion.  I'll need to lay it out and see where it goes.  Will post more when I get there

Ooooo, nice idea man, I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Oh and a site that you may find useful as info on this car seems a tad elusive, for me anyways;

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/6294/Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-Bertone-Berlinetta.html

 

I've had that site bookmarked for years.  Lots of info.  There also was a site that is now gone that actually had owners' manuals on it that you could download in PDF.  But, they dropped out about 4-5 years ago.  Another useful site is Eurospares for details, but can be vague on older models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...