Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little fun building this for the "Ed Roth - Rat Fink - Weird-Ohs Reunion Contest" . It's built to appear box stock but the only parts not modified or replaced are his hands , the steering wheel , and his helmet .

I started by redoing the eyes , moving them closer together and adding a more pronounced brow line . His body was narrowed about 1/2 inch and the arms were molded into the body , then a racing suit was simulated by adding the velcro collar and appropriate stitching with paint . It's finished by modifying his parachute to replicate a WWII pack and harness , along with a release lever .

Digger's hot rod was also narrowed , reshaped , and a new cowl/firewall added so it looks like a T-Bucket . The frame is drilled and new front suspension added along with wheels/tires from Acme Diecast . Rear tires are modified Gridiron Grabber parts and the rear wheels from Forward Resin were modified to fit .  The engine is from an Eye Gone Wild kit as are the modified headers . Mounting brackets were added to the Moon tank and a "Flying Eyeball" was added to the shifter . Finally the tire smoke and flames were made from sheet plastic and I printed my own decals . :)

To be honest, I'm not a fan of these things, but that said, this is absolutely THE BEST build of one I've ever seen. Well done!B)

Couple years ago I got a Freddy Flameout and was hoping to do something equally nice with it, but I've decided there's just no way to work with the kit head. After looking a while, I came up with a toy Halloween skeleton that has a skull that should look good in the helmet, so I'll be going a slightly different way with it. I really should build that thing sometime. 

16 hours ago, vamach1 said:

A little weird but hey - it's what the hobby is all about - FUN.  Very very nice. I would not be surprised to see it in a contest issue down the road.

16 hours ago, Bucky said:

It IS a model, tho! Very cool results!

Thanks guys !

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

To be honest, I'm not a fan of these things, but that said, this is absolutely THE BEST build of one I've ever seen. Well done!B)

Couple years ago I got a Freddy Flameout and was hoping to do something equally nice with it, but I've decided there's just no way to work with the kit head. After looking a while, I came up with a toy Halloween skeleton that has a skull that should look good in the helmet, so I'll be going a slightly different way with it. I really should build that thing sometime. 

Thanks and I understand completely .  While I do like building Toon models I've stayed away from the Weird-ohs , they just seem to be poorly done from the get go , in fact the last time I built one was 56 years ago !  It takes a bunch of plastic surgery to make one look decent but it's worth the effort , I hope you give Freddy a shot some time . :)

On 6/12/2019 at 4:52 AM, ChrisR said:

COOL!!!

On 6/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, oldnslow said:

that looks great , Bob

On 6/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, Slimguy said:

I agree with all of the others...this is by far the best one I have ever seen. Really terrifically done!!!

Thanks very much guys !

23 hours ago, Dragline said:

Truly Fantastic in every way. 

11 hours ago, iBorg said:

I've often wondered how cool this kit could be built. Now I know.

FANTASTIC build.

Thanks guys !  Like I said this was my first Weird-Oh since '63 , I might have to try another ! :)

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Brudda said:

Made me smile! Looks great! Reminded of being a kid again. Good job!!!!!!

I couldn't have said that better myself. I remember these kits back from my childhood and while I'll never build one I can certainly admire the good work that you've put into this.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:57 AM, mustang1989 said:

I couldn't have said that better myself. I remember these kits back from my childhood and while I'll never build one I can certainly admire the good work that you've put into this.

Thanks Joe !

On 7/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Ken Gilkeson said:

love it

Thanks Ken !

19 hours ago, Rider said:

This is spectacular, really dig all the extras and the paint! 

Thanks much Curtis !