Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aughhhh!! The 389 is being retired?????

12 hours ago, clayton said:

Just seen a video were the 389 is retiring.  

Could this be a hoax!

Is this the end of the big hoods!

Will there be a return!    Stay tuned.

Tim! 

I hope it's not true, but also wouldn't be surprised since Paccar did in the W900 with that new plastic pile of you know what called the W990. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BaBaBooey said:

This is the eventual replacement. The 567 SFFA

FebClint6.jpg

That don't look to bad!!! Still reminiscent of the 389 in some ways. A person could put a 389 hood on it with some work and keep the squared off look of the hood...

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think that 567 is a good looking truck.

And it's been on the market for at least a year now.

So maybe the plan was to introduce it and then phase out the 389?

You'd be correct. Kind of a gentle let down, if you will. And yes, if ordered and done up right, it's a good looking truck.

Well hmmmm! Sitting on the middle of the fence. Trying to maintain the old look for the old timers and aerodynamic for the new Generation. 

I like the way things were,don't like Chang's.

Feel like I was born about 20 years to late.

I have a friend in the industry and was discussing these with him. He hates them. They look to plastic, they're ugly, keep the classic trucks.

So i bring up the larger cab, improved visibility, improved comfort, more ergonomic dash and switches, better lighting, improved drivetrains with better fuel economy.

Nope, the old trucks are better.

So then I ask why he bought a new Ram 1500 Limited and didn't buy and old truck.

Because the new trucks are more comfortable, have more equipment, better fuel economy.

He failed to see the irony, even after I pointed it out.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:38 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I have a friend in the industry and was discussing these with him. He hates them. They look to plastic, they're ugly, keep the classic trucks.

IMO, your friend probably is referring to the styling. I think Ford, Dodge and GM hit the mark with their retro Mustang, Challenger and Camaro. We want retro styling with modern technology under the cab. 

On 6/25/2019 at 6:38 AM, iamsuperdan said:

So i bring up the larger cab, improved visibility, improved comfort, more ergonomic dash and switches, better lighting, improved drivetrains with better fuel economy.

Nope, the old trucks are better.

So then I ask why he bought a new Ram 1500 Limited and didn't buy and old truck.

Because the new trucks are more comfortable, have more equipment, better fuel economy.

He failed to see the irony, even after I pointed it out.

???

As some of you know I'm a big Western Star guy but since I sold my truck and drive for a friend now I drive a 579 witch shares a cab with the 567. I've drove many 359's and 379's over the years and while they're great looking trucks I wouldn't trade my 579 for one. I'm very pleased with my 579.1103181026a.thumb.jpg.2405b11657eb6dddb6436b45b279bcc6.jpg

Edited by lapazleo

Back in the mid 80’s Kenworth introduced the T600 to not so favourable reception. But after awhile it grew on people and I think the new Peterbilt will grow on people as will the W990 Kenworth. I am definitely one of those who think the older trucks are hands down better looking but in time these will grow on me!

I'm in agreement with the majority.... I like the new versions, but just like many, I also like the 379.... Got to be the best LOOKING truck I've ever seen... But that's my opinion...

However!! The 579 comes in at a close second.... Followed by the KW T660.... Kind of digging that new Western Star, as well....

Edited by kilrathy10