Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac 2.0 Malibu Divers Inc.

restoman

This started as a bit of a glue bomb/basket case, missing an interior, wheels and usable chassis.  My parts box coughed up everything needed. 

I used the roof and cargo bed from the '70 Bonneville kit as well as some of the scuba equipment. The rest of the equipment I built from scratch.

Swapped over to a single four barrel, four speed car, I spent a ridiculous amount of time putting this thing together.

I sliced the taillights and scribed the rear bumper to simulate an opening tailgate, added clear headlight lenses and rings, added the chrome bed rails, covered the cargo floor in a rubber-looking mat, lowered the stance, and shot the bumpers with Molotow chrome. Plus a whole lot of stuff that I've forgotten...

I added license plates after I took the pics...

The grill fit perfectly until the chassis and body were glued up, and the hood has a slight warp that I just couldn't get rid of completely. It was way bad when I started...

Sprayed in Testors Inca Gold, topped with 2k clear. '70 Bonneville decals. I used the very nice white wall tires from Modelhaus.

Glad to see it finished.

Comments always welcome.

poncho 1.jpg

poncho 2.jpg

poncho 3.jpg

poncho 4.jpg

poncho 5.jpg

poncho 6.jpg

poncho 7.jpg

poncho 8.jpg

Turned out beautifully. I followed your prolonged build and saw some of the hurdles you had to overcome. This looks like something Pontiac could or should have offered. I like all the diving equipment in the bed. 

• 3 weeks later...